Sponsored by:

74 Stingray Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 PM
So-Cal-Kid
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Stingray Rebuild

I'm 16 and I Inherited a 74 orange convertible, the problem is that it was left standing in a garage for about 10 years. The bushings are all rotted out, everything has rust and stuff all over it. I am going to wash, sandblast and rebuild most the parts. Im going to take off the points in the engine, put in an electric fan, and put in a fuel enjection system along with some other new parts. I'm never going to sell this car, so I'm not realy worried about keeping the numbers the same. Is it bad to change the car to a more modern style? the outside of the car will look original.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
azguy
Instructor

Not if you never plan to sell it, build the car for you because you will be the one to drive it and enjoy it. Good luck! I plan on upgrading everything in my car to be more modern as well.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It is a yes and no answer. However, it is your car, congrats and welcome to the forum.
Now I would suggest that what ever you change, it is always important to keep the original parts, boxed up somewhere. Upgrades that provide better safety is a good thing, and possibly performance as well. You will get all kinds of responses to this question, so be prepared.
But what ever you do, keep us posted and try to post some pics of your car, for all to see.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by So-Cal-Kid
...Is it bad to change the car to a more modern style?...
How you modify the car is up to you; it's your car.

Why not tune it up and drive it through the summer before thinking about what you might want to do with it? You may learn you like her exactly as she is.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
ozzyrulesme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. I have a 74. Also, I love it.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM
LS7Vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 16 and I Inherited a 74 orange convertible, the problem is that it was left standing in a garage for about 10 years. The bushings are all rotted out, everything has rust and stuff all over it. I am going to wash, sandblast and rebuild most the parts. Im going to take off the points in the engine, put in an electric fan, and put in a fuel enjection system along with some other new parts. I'm never going to sell this car, so I'm not realy worried about keeping the numbers the same. Is it bad to change the car to a more modern style? the outside of the car will look original.

My first car was an Orange 74 that I still have today. I purchased the car when I was 15 and had all these ideas about changing this and that to the car. The car was white when I purchased it and had the medium saddle interior. I kept it original (repainted it Corvette Orange, new Medium Saddle interior, etc). After all these years and around 30K dumped into a full restoration I am glad I never started taking parts off of it or getting rid of a numbers matching engine / trans. Its your car so do whatever you want to it, but what you like at 15 will most definitely not be what you like at 30. For most Corvette owners the value turns out to be how original the car is (this is not always the case but it turned out to be with me). Once you start getting rid of those original parts, it becomes almost impossible to get them all back. Anyway, do what you want but if you can live with original, always know that an original Corvette will always be in style and one day you may regret ever changing it around. I know I couldnt be any happier knowing that I never did the things to my Vette that I planned on doing when I was your age!!!

An original 74 Corvette Orange Vert is one great looking car !!!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Some folks get all the luck. Enjoy your car I've always wanted a Convertible but only owned T-tops
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 AM
VetteHalen
Racer

hey! get it in running condition (doesn't have to be pretty) by mid-March and join us on this So-Cal C3 cruise (i assume you're in So-Cal judging by your forum name, right?) we're about 40 strong, aiming for 50 C3's and beyond...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-march-or.html
Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
So-Cal-Kid
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by VetteHalen
hey! get it in running condition (doesn't have to be pretty) by mid-March and join us on this So-Cal C3 cruise (i assume you're in So-Cal judging by your forum name, right?) we're about 40 strong, aiming for 50 C3's and beyond...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-march-or.html
Looks like fun, I've got alot of work to do but if I get it running by then I'll let you know.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Why not tune it up and drive it through the summer before thinking about what you might want to do with it? You may learn you like her exactly as she is.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 AM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

The best advise, do what you want to with it, but YES, save EVERY original part.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 AM
gator77
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently rebuilding a '75 coupe and REALLY wish I had taken the time to do this. It would have meant replacing the rear bearings, fuel pump and brakes, but it would have been worth it! What do they say about hindsight?. Good luck with your project!
Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Get notified of new replies

To 74 Stingray Rebuild

Quick Reply: 74 Stingray Rebuild