Need opinions on a '73

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Rbock13
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on a '73

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the forum for months now, but this is my first thread. I am looking in to finally making my first Corvette purchase, and I need some advice to make sure I am making the right deal.

I am looking at a 1973 #'s matching L-48, 4-speed with PW, PS, PL and (not original to the car, but original) YJ8 wheels. The base asking price for the car is $5,000 and I am having the seller (also a restoration shop) replace the old rubber fuel lines with metal, fix a lazy pop-up headlight, replace the rear body mounts, cut out a bad frame joint (the only bad spot on the frame) and weld in a replacement joint from a donor car, and prep, prime and paint with a single stage urethane paint job. He is doing all of the work for an additional $4,000.

The car comes with beautiful just-refinished chrome bumpers and bezels, and the emblems are in excellent shape. The car also has a no-hit body.

The motor has an L-82 cam and aftermarket headers, but the block is original to the car, as is the 4-speed. She fires right up and idles nicely. This is also a factory A/C car.

Now for the bad, the interior is not great, the worst thing being the carpets, the seats are out of a 78-82 C3 and aren't in bad shape but one has a sizeable (3 inch) tear. The current paint is unacceptable and seemed to be in the process of prepping for a new paint job that was never finished; its covered in primer spots.

So what do you think? Is she worth $9,000?? I currently cannot upload any pictures, but she doesn't photograph well with her "leprosy" paint job anyway. Thanks in advance for any insights you might have.

Ryan

Last edited by Rbock13; 01-27-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbock13
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the forum for months now, but this is my first thread. I am looking in to finally making my first Corvette purchase, and I need some advice to make sure I am making the right deal.

I am looking at a 1973 #'s matching L-48, 4-speed with PW, PS, PL and (not original to the car, but original) YJ8 wheels. The base asking price for the car is $5,000 and I am having the seller (also a restoration shop) replace the old rubber fuel lines with metal, fix a lazy pop-up headlight, replace the rear body mounts, cut out a bad frame joint (the only bad spot on the frame) and weld in a replacement joint from a donor car, and prep, prime and paint with a single stage urethane paint job. He is doing all of the work for an additional $4,000.

The car comes with beautiful just-refinished chrome bumpers and bezels, and the emblems are in excellent shape. The car also has a no-hit body.

The motor has an L-82 cam and aftermarket headers, but the block is original to the car, as is the 4-speed. She fires right up and idles nicely. This is also a factory A/C car.

Now for the bad, the interior is not great, the worst thing being the carpets, the seats are out of a 78-82 C3 and aren't in bad shape but one has a sizeable (3 inch) tear. The current paint is unacceptable and seemed to be in the process of prepping for a new paint job that was never finished; its covered in primer spots.

So what do you think? Is she worth $9,000?? I currently cannot upload any pictures, but she doesn't photograph well with her "leprosy" paint job anyway. Thanks in advance for any insights you might have.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

If I were you...I would contact (PM)....Vettebuyer & Rickman here on the CF....they have the inside track and pulse on current / today's prices and market values....hands down! They will guide you well.

Stay in tune....
Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM
LS7Vette
Instructor

Would need to see pictures, but it sounds like you would be paying the highend of what it may be worth. If you look around you can probably get a 72 or earlier in atleast the same condition (if not better) for around that price and those cars have a much higher demand.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGG-73
Hi Ryan,

If I were you...I would contact (PM)....Vettebuyer & Rickman here on the CF....they have the inside track and pulse on current / today's prices and market values....hands down! They will guide you well.

Stay in tune....
Gregg has the right idea, just chiming in, as another 73 owner.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

All depends on where you live. On the West coast $9K for a nice 73 wouldn't be on the high end.

If the car is nice, figure another $2000 for the interior and you basically have a great car for $11K doesn't seem to bad.

That said - always good to see what's out there first...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Rbock13
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I PMed Rickman and we ended up talking on the phone for quite a while and he encouraged me to go for it. Pending the final inspection (tomorrow at 10 am) I think I am going to move forward with it. I will post some pics post inspection and again once she is all repaired and painted. Thanks again for all the help, looking forward to more discussions as an offical Corvette owner...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rbock13
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I PMed Rickman and we ended up talking on the phone for quite a while and he encouraged me to go for it. Pending the final inspection (tomorrow at 10 am) I think I am going to move forward with it. I will post some pics post inspection and again once she is all repaired and painted. Thanks again for all the help, looking forward to more discussions as an offical Corvette owner...
Great Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's hoping the inspection goes well!

Don't forget us when it come's time for photos....

Stay in tune....
Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

cutout and replace a bad frame joint? do not think for a minute that this is all the rust you will find. if a part of the frame is bad, you can usually bet that there is more rust. please do an absolute thorough inspection of all the potential rust areas. you will never get your money out of this car if it has rust.

A fresh, good quality paint job will make some buyers oblivious to other problems, but so many of us have made the mistake of buying a rusty car and then trying to sell it.

good luck...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Rbock13
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by joewill
cutout and replace a bad frame joint? do not think for a minute that this is all the rust you will find. if a part of the frame is bad, you can usually bet that there is more rust. please do an absolute thorough inspection of all the potential rust areas. you will never get your money out of this car if it has rust.

A fresh, good quality paint job will make some buyers oblivious to other problems, but so many of us have made the mistake of buying a rusty car and then trying to sell it.

good luck...
joewill, I took your advice and got it up on a lift and went through the frame inch by inch, I found two other small spots that the seller agreed to fix at our agreed-upon price. The rest of the frame showed very little rust (especially for an OH car).
Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

By the way, you can post pictures; you are just doing it wrong. I can walk your through this. Posting pictures will allow a lot of people to see things that you dont know need commentary...

Get notified of new replies

To Need opinions on a '73

Quick Reply: Need opinions on a '73