Sponsored by:

Shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Paul71LT1
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Shock absorbers

I'm putting a general question out to the group on this subject. If one wants to replace off brand shocks on a '71 LT1 with something that is more in keeping with the spirit of the NCRS, what's a vette owner to do? Paragon sells delco shocks, but adds a disclaimer that I should check with an NCRS judge regarding point values. I'm not the type that is going to search for 4, 40 year old used shocks to have it all "original" either. I just want to buy some new ones that are close enough within the practical limitations of the parts market with which we live. Are the Paragon shocks as good as I am going to find? I'm going to MI in two days for the auto show at Cobo Hall and I hope to visit Paragon while I'm in the area.

Thanks for any help the forum can provide.

Paul
Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Are you planning to have your car judged, or are you just looking to keep with the 'spirit' as you say?

If you are looking to keep with the spirit, there are a few options I would consider:
1) Period Shocks - Here you should be able to find some 'period' correct replacements and paint them up if need be, maybe even like the Delco shocks. You can easily find older shocks at car shows for a few bucks each. Companies like Coastal that aren't around anymore and others made good oil shocks back in the day. You may get a minor deduction but they would be considered period replacements.

2) Ebay: A quick scan revealed these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SHOCKS-1970-73-PLYMOUTH-DODGE-CHRYSLER-REAR-SHOCK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf47489d9QQ itemZ330518792665QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTru ckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories which should be along the lines of what you need. Or these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-66-67-68-69-70-BUICK-OLDS-PONTIAC-Rear-Shocks-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c2218c43QQ itemZ110631160899QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTru ckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories Not sure of the application, but you can consider shocks like these that might not be listed under 'corvette'. Just need to check the fit and you can try the web for cross references.

3) OEM) Really not that hard to find a set of OEM. Just so some looking. Learn how to apply Ebay filters in your searches (read the filter tutorial). Probably find a set off Ebay faster than it'll take you to go over to the tire dealer. Then you have solved all your problems and they'll probably last you as long as you own the car. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-DELCO-REAR-SPIRAL-SHOCKS-DATED-69-70-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230d6f947cQQ itemZ150549271676QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTr uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories. Or these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pair-Delco-Shocks-3192893-112-69-111-69-/270693591600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash= item3f06986a30. But you may pay a lot more. Do a search like: Shocks (vintage,70,197*,7*,delco,oem,corvette,g m) -motorcycle -hatch -lift -liftgate -honda -bridgestone -racing -struts ...Ok, you get the idea. Or a narrow search: delco (shock,shocks). Or just paste in what I typed up in the search field.

I must be the only one that feels this way, but I've always felt the ride with oil shocks was more comfortable than with gas.

Good luck,

Mark G

Last edited by Mark G; 01-18-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul71LT1
I'm putting a general question out to the group on this subject. If one wants to replace off brand shocks on a '71 LT1 with something that is more in keeping with the spirit of the NCRS, what's a vette owner to do?
Not quite sure you mean by 'spirit of the NCRS'.

Your choices are to find 40 year old shocks and try to overhaul them to look and act like new. This will minimize point deductions. Alternatively, buy the current day AC Delco service replacements and repaint them to look like the originals. This will net you a small points loss.

Nobody including Paragon makes repro shocks that will fool anybody.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Paul71LT1
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for the responses. I have more ideas now than I did. I do intend to have the car judged one day. I don't hope to get a perfect score. Only enough for top flight is good enough for me so I can absorb a small points loss. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
LT-! NICE!!!!
I'll make a shameless plug for joining the NCRS if you're not already a member.
Also, if you don't have a copy of the '70-72 Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide' and a copy of the '70-72 Judging Sheets' you should consider getting them. Since you say you're thinking f presenting your car for judging some day I think they'd be quite interesting and helpful to you!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Shock absorbers

Quick Reply: Shock absorbers