Sponsored by:

Steering Column Date Stamp

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Chadborne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Column Date Stamp

When I bought my vette (1970, 454, 4-speed), it was pretty much in pieces. The guy told me the steering column was not original, but his uncle had given him a replacement that he thought was from a 70 vette.

The date stamp on the column jacket is either 8 961 or 196 8. The 8 was spaced out about an inch from the other three numbers.

Based on the papers I have read, there should be 5 digits for a 70 vette column.

It appears that the removal of the locking mechanism is similar to what Jim Shea's papers say for a C3, although I have yet been able to get it out yet.

Anyone have any idea what car this column came from?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The only info I could find seemed to indicate that in 68-69 there was a three digit Jullian date and a single digit year date. In 70+ there were three digits for the Jullian date and two digits for the year.
From that it appears your column was made on the 196 day of 1968.... but then it wouldn't have the ignition on the column because it would be for a 68 model year car or might it be a VERY early 69 column?
So I'm clueless!!
Jim....
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

One picture of the column would be worth a hundred words. Post a pic if you can.

Lacking a picture here is what I know. I assume that the column in question has the ignition key and lock cylinder in the column head. That would date the column as at least 1969 or later. The column should be what I call a round head column. In other words the head is completely round where the turn signal lever comes out of the head. (Columns starting in 1977 also had the headlight dimmer in the column and had a bulge on the left side of the column head for the dimmer pivot.)

Also the C3 Corvette steering column is a unique design. It has a welded bracket just rearward (toward the driver) of the ignition switch. That bracket has two aluminum capsules that accept near vertical bolts that attach the column to the dash structure. All other GM steering columns had bolt-on brackets not welded.

As you are aware, the date coding on the lower part of the steering column jacket should be XXX YZ. Where XXX is 001 through 365 for the day of manufacture. There should be a gap and then an A or a B for the A or B manufacturing shift. Then the last number of the year.
Frankly it doesn't make much difference (9 for 1969 through 1970,1,2,3,4,5,6) all Corvette steering columns in this range will fit your 1970 Vette.

One other key point, steering columns with a dimmer pivot (a bulge on the column head) would be 1977 and later. (These columns can be made to fit your car but are not "correct" if you are interested in that kind of stuff.)

Jim
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Jim,
Now I'm curious, can you describe where the stamp is and can you see it with the column in the car?
Thanks very much!
Regards,
Alan

PS: The info I posted was gleaned from the Chevelle Forum!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Chadborne
Advanced

Thanks Jim, I will get a picture and post it.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Chadborne
Advanced

I have tried to attach a few pictures. The ignition key and lock cylinder are in the head and the column has a round head. The dash bracket is welded to the column. There appears to be a lightly stamped "0" between the "8" and the "9", but it is not in line with the other numbers.
Attached Images    
Old 01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi C,
Thanks VERY much!!!! That's a new date/location for me.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is the engineering drawing of the 1969 Corvette steering column showing the date code location on the steering column jacket. Sorry about the quality of the scan.

As you can notice, the location of this steering column assembly code is not the same as the stamped coding on your column. It is very possible that there were other stamped codes that may have been used during the Saginaw manufacturing processes.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Date Stamp

Quick Reply: Steering Column Date Stamp