C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who did you buy your Corvette from and how did you find it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

blckslver...that color with the chrome side pipes is just amazing. One of the best looking C3's I've ever seen. thanks for sharing. it is just fantastic.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:33 AM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched newspaper, internet, and trader magazines for 2 years for a chrome bumper car. I was close on a 71 convertible, but called an hour too late.
I found mine when I delivered a load of gravel to a nearby home for a patio. The guy has a silver 63 spit window, so we started talking cars. I mentioned my dream car, and he says "my dad has a 68 convertible next door that he may want to sell"! We walked across the street, and there was my car. He owned it for 9 years, never touched it. The original owner began a restoration, but never finished. I picked up (and re-did some) where he left off. The car was 2 miles from my home all those years....
Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found my 73 at a yard sale there was a 74 and 73 and they belonged to twin brothers but the 74 wasn't for sale that was ok because my wife liked the 73,and after a total body off and also a new frame Pa.winters are nasty it was ready to go,and I still have her.Found my brothers 79 under a car port it had sat for 4 years.His wasn't that bad it was a N.C. car all it's life.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Stu's81
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RobRace10
Found mine here on the forum in 2005 near Grand Rapids MI. Had sat for 20 years in a garage before the forum member bought it and then he decided to sell as it was more project than he wanted to deal with.

Pics from when I looked at it the first time.

5 years later and thousands of hours.......

Looks even better in person, very nice job restoring it!!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
blckslver...that color with the chrome side pipes is just amazing. One of the best looking C3's I've ever seen. thanks for sharing. it is just fantastic.

Thank you Lance.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobRace10

WOW!

What a transformation! That's what this hobby is all about to me!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

A very good friend of mine owned it...one of 3 Corvettes (2002 & 2001 & 1975)....which was his favorite "toy". He held it for me for 2 years in his climate controlled garage so I could save up for it.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Bought '78 SA and '92 'vert new from dealers. The '78 was on the lot, but I custom ordered the '92. Either way, highly recommend traveling a few miles away from any large city to shop for the best deal on most any new car. In any event the haggling is up to you, but your local dealer's shop will most likely be happy to service the warrantee wherever you buy.

Found '69 L71 thru Hemmings. Flew to PA to inspect and make deal. Went back a couple of weeks later with trailer in tow to pick it up and complete the transaction.

Found '70 ZR1 for sale in local paper want adds. That was a good while back, so don't hold your breath in hopes you'll be so lucky. Yeah, in hindsight I hit the lotto on that one, but also sold it before realizing it might become extremely valuable some day. D'oh!

Have bought and sold other cars long distance, but never done such for a DD.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I bought my car off the forum. I wasn't looking for an investment quality car. I wanted a "driver". I had very specific "wants" when I was looking this time around. I wanted a "hot rod" big block, stick shift, flared, blue '69 Corvette that I couldn't afford back in the day. I always liked the Motion cars and the road race cars. I just missed a couple of cars on the forum (one in particular) that I would have been very satisfied with even though they weren't exactly want I wanted. After all you can't "order" a used car. A forum member gave me some good advice and another forum member contacted me about a '68 convertible "project car". I realized about the only way I was going to able to meet most of my wants (at my budget - that always gets in the way - doesn't it?) was to build it. So that's what I'm doing. Personal issues, a weak economy, and a salery based on commision will really slow progress down but it should be done sometime this year.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 AM
CTZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars.com 1970 t-top 350hp 4 speed. I bought it from the 2nd owner who bought it when it was 2 yrs. old. He then owned it for 34 yrs. He was a GM mechanic at that towns local GM dealership. I had been looking at that point for 3 years and had not found the right car. well, the wait and my pickyness paid off. I was looking for the right car from the right owner. the only thing I settled on was that it was not a big block. But I love her all the same
What a car. the previous owner was took beautiful care of the car. that was 4-5 years ago...

Old 01-02-2011, 12:14 PM
68L79
Instructor

Originally Posted by CTZR1
Cars.com 1970 t-top 350hp 4 speed. I bought it from the 2nd owner who bought it when it was 2 yrs. old. He then owned it for 34 yrs. He was a GM mechanic at that towns local GM dealership. I had been looking at that point for 3 years and had not found the right car. well, the wait and my pickyness paid off. I was looking for the right car from the right owner. the only thing I settled on was that it was not a big block. But I love her all the same
What a car. the previous owner was took beautiful care of the car. that was 4-5 years ago...

You struck gold..what a beautiful car....besides my 68 L79...one of the fastest vettes I drove was in 1974...it was a 70....I think it was a 350 300hp but I know it was exceptionally fast...I would say right up there with my L79. I know a guy who had a 65 chevelle...327-300hp that would eat any gto, 442, most vettes and most mopars...and it was bone stock...two years after owning this chevelle, he finally got beat at the drag strip...then built it to higher specs. It was just "one of those cars" I guess. I still run into him at times at Home Depot and we talk of that one of a kind stock eat anything up 327-300.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
NJVette77
Drifting

Originally Posted by eagle275
Bought my '72 coupe out of the Car Trader in '79 - sold it a few yrs later - bought it for $4000.

Bought my '71 vert from a former coach in 1984 - still have it. Bought it for $4500.
Kick *** avatar! my fav band!!!

Bought my 72 back in 98 at a gas station that I used to take my truck to and saw the poor thing sitting there for sale...all weather beaten outside as well as the interior and while that style was always my fav, I spoke to my friend at the shop who was letting another customer park it there to sell so I made and offer and after a little haggling I got it.

A pic of Steve Harris & I backstage in Sheffield UK back in 06 when I flew over for the tour

Here it is at the gas station

And here is a pic of it today

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
kmobrien76
Racer

Found my '74 on craigslist, had looked at three 90-94's, the '74 that I went to look at, saw it on-line on my day off (weekday back in the day), around 10 am, got there probably an hour or two later, went for a drive in it, he said "floor it", negotiated, picked her up for $6900, three year later and hmmmmmmmmm about $3K more into her I have a nice driving C3...

Have so many stories about this car that my wife and I love to talk about, hope it never leaves our hands.,,

Kevin
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Daytona69
Le Mans Master

Found my '70 at Corvette Mike in Anaheim, the '69 here on the forum and the '80 on here as well. Hoping I will be able to go searching again for another C3 one day soon.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:51 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

In 1979 my Dad owned a garage and had a dealers license. One day him and I went to the local dealers auto auction and it just happened to be corvette day. I fell in love with a '69 convertible and was the high bidder, but the owner didn't accept the bid. I walked outside, offered him $200 more than my last bid and 1/2 hour later I drove it home. I've now had the car for almost 32 years.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I started looking for a Corvette in the spring of '09. I decided it had to be a 78 or 79 with a silver or oyster interior, 4 speed, L82, glass t-tops, with A/C and as many options as possible. I found a 78 with 25000 miles in Georgia but the owner wanted 15000 and I had a budget in mind of 18000. I expected it would cost $4000 to look at it and get it home so at $15000 it was $1000 too much. The owner wouldn't take $14000 so I kept looking. I found a couple of cars with over 100,000 miles in the $6-7000 price range and was communication with the owner of one in South Carolina when she stopped responding to my emails for some reason. The owner of the other one lived in Arizona and said he'd owned the car for five years and driven it regularly. When I asked him if it had air conditioning to my amazement he said he didn't know. I thought that was pretty suspicious so kept looking.

I saw a 78 Pace car offered in California for 18000. It was one of the few original 4 speeds, L82 and every available option. including the trailer towing package. I really wanted that car but by the time I got it home it would have been $22000 and that would have left me with little money for repairs, I debated about offering him $14000 but decided he was unlikely to accept that and kept looking.

I found a 79 5 hours away in Manitoba and wanted to go see it but the owner said he was too busy and kept putting me off saying he didn't have time, etc. Finally I said to hell with him and eventually found a 78 in Florida with a built 350 and Tremec 5 speed for $13000 I was making arrangements to go see it to my hubbies dismay when he said "Why don't you give those people in Manitoba one more call and say if you can't see it this weekend you're going to Florida to buy another one?". That's what I did and the Manitoba owner finally decided he had time for me to look at it and off we went on Nov 28 of 2009. They had advertised it over a year earlier for $16000 and had little interest. The owner was confused as to how I found out about it, I told her it was advertised on Biglot.com. Apparently they'd asked them to cancel the ad a year earlier and dropped the idea of selling the car. Biglot.com never deleted the ad however and so I came across it and surprised them with my phone call.

The interior was jaw-droppingly nice. It had 60,000 miles on it had every option I could want except cruise control, was in good shape mechanically and rust wise with a rebuilt L82 so I offered $12000, they accepted and I drove it home that day. In retrospect I would have preferred the silver interior of the California Pace car, but I figure for the $10000 difference in price I can convert my car's interior to silver and still be thousands ahead.

Last edited by Priya; 01-03-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
diamondtcb
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped in Corvettes of Houston on a whim on Sept 17th 1996. They had just bought a collection of Corvettes from a gentleman in Dallas. They had been trying to purchase the cars for a few years and the owner would not sell. the collection consisted of five Corvettes ranging in years from 1978 to 1993. All of the cars had extremely low mileage (under 1000 miles). I owned an 82 crossfire with 52,000 miles which I absolutely loved, but I wanted a 4 speed car in the 80-81 body style. Well, there it sat on the showroom floor, they literally had just parked it on the floor the day before. It wasn't even prepped for sale yet. A 1980 Dark Blue Metallic 4 speed, Gymkahna suspension, T-Top carrier, CB radio, with 828 original miles. Window sticker still on the passenger glass! I was immediately salivating, but I knew I had to keep my poker face on. I was going to buy the car no matter what. I went through some heavy negotiating but the sales rep Larry, (who was the previous owner of the Corvettes of Houston dealership) would not budge on the price: $22,000. So I began to hit him hard on upping the offer on my 82 trade in, which I had bought from him two years ago and was immaculate. He finally gave in and upped the trade in price another $1,000 and we signed the deal. They had to replace the brake calipers and the evaporator core before I picked it up. 14 years later the car has 9,905 miles and is perfect. I will never part with her!

Last edited by diamondtcb; 01-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Who did you buy your Corvette from and how did you find it?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
qtlow
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondtcb
A 1980 Dark Blue Metallic 4 speed, Gymkahna suspension, T-Top carrier, CB radio, with 828 original miles. 14 years later the car has 9,905 miles and is perfect.
Have any pictures you can post? Sure would like to see them.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My dad sold cars for a living when I was a kid, I rode in a few C3's when they were still fairly new. One of my dads freinds took me for a ride in his very fast triple black 70/71/72 .My mom had an 81 that I got to drive when I was 18-20, took it out on dates, even on a double date (my date was in the back, his was on his lap)...I later saw my freind's vet when I went to retreive some car parts in his Mom's garage. I asked him about it as it was under a cover, it was a 69 big block vert. Several years later he hired me to get her ready to sell. The tow truck driver brought her over to my house, it started, had no brakes etc. I asked him how much he wanted for it, I got some funds together, and she never left. She's still under construction,mostly cosemetic stuff and Bubba re-does. I plan to go to Vegas with the wife this spring, IN THE VETTE. SHe's monza orange with black interior and a black top, was Blue/blue originally.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The tow truck driver brought her over to my house, it started, had no brakes etc. I asked him how much he wanted for it, I got some funds together, and she never left. She's still under construction,mostly cosemetic stuff and Bubba re-does. I plan to go to Vegas with the wife this spring, IN THE VETTE. SHe's monza orange with black interior and a black top, was Blue/blue originally

That's some wife: Monza Orange with Black Interior. I've found most are pink! Black hair on top....at least she quit dieing it blue! LOL...just kidding. Have fun. By then gas will be $4 a gallon and you'll really have to drive fast on the way to Vegas.

Quick Reply: Who did you buy your Corvette from and how did you find it?