Sponsored by:

Lakeway Motor Classics

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Lakeway Motor Classics

Anyone have any experience or know this dealer in MO ? They have a nice 72 coupe up for auction on eBay. My preference is to buy from a private owner, so before I invest time and energy to travel there from NJ, I want to know if it would be worth the trip and energy.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Buy from a private party. Dealers place markups, sometimes quite large, on the cars they get from desperate sellers. They also tend to embellish the condition and conveniently don't tell you what they should. Most small-time classic car dealers are no better than any other used car lot. Just my two cents.

I checked out the listing. You realize the car they are selling needs a lot, as in time and money, right? It has been repainted and that looks to be about it, other than adding the "incorrect" side exhaust system. They claim the car to be rust free, which I seriously doubt. How come there are never any pictures of the underbody? Judging by the engine compartment, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Whenever I see a car that has only been repainted, what I call an "el cheapo" restoration, I get a shiver up my spine. Keep looking and when you find the right car, one that has been obviously well taken care of by the individual selling it..take along a C3 expert who can pull you away by the arm when you need to leave.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the excellent advice!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi L73,
I agree with FR!!!
If I may I'd like to add that the more you can learn about the year cars you're looking at the better.
The dealer or seller may not know very much about the car, (though he might), or he MAY try to mislead you, so you need to be able to evaluate what you're buying. It's up to you to know what to look for while the money's still in YOUR pocket. Once it's home in your garage it's too late.
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Alex/plus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little over a year ago, I checked out a 69 BBConv. for a guy in California.
When I arrived at Lakeway the car was way back in a dark corner buried behind a lot of other cars so I couldn't see much. The car looked good and sounded very good but I had no way of getting it on a rack or out in the daylight to see the little "red flags".
Emailed the guy in California and told him that Lakeview is a fast- turnaround business and to beware.

He bought the car anyway and when it arrived at his home about a month later he found it to be a pile of junk (his words). So, like everybody says....."BEWARE".
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM
jschulz30
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a car from Lakeway and have been very happy with it. I asked them for additonal pictures of the underside of the car and they provided them. I went to their shop they put the car on a lift for me, and I test drove the car for about an hour. They do turn cars fast, and they did have some cars that I would not touch with a ten foot pole. I spent two hours at their shop going over the car and they were very helpful. They were pointing out everything they did not like about the car. They pulled it off ebay even though they had bids higher than what I offered them.

All that being said, never by a C3 without seeing it with your own eyes or by someone you really trust.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM
frog948
2nd Gear

Default Lakeway Motors - Michael Albers - Kaiser MO 65047

Hello,
Message to prevent my experience, I bought a car in Lakeway Motors Kaiser MO 65047 - Michael Albers, do not trust this professional, he lied about the state of the vehicle, the chassis is supported with wire and there is corrosion perforating. He buys cars in auction sales, it takes a large commission and resells within 5 days.
He managed to remove my negative opinion on EBAY.

Pascal
Paris France
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Private sellers also mislead buyers on the condition of their cars. How many people post craigslist adds on this forum for others to laugh at?

Just be sure of what you are looking at before you buy, regardless of where you get it from.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 AM
frog948
2nd Gear

Default Lakeway Motors Kaiser MO 65047 - Michael Albers

photos of the chassis have been hidden, discourse Rating sure everything was perfect, I used to buy in the U.S., this is the first time I negotiated with a dishonest professional.

should simply be wary of Michael Albers, you should know that this is not honest profesional for new buyers.

Get notified of new replies

To Lakeway Motor Classics

Quick Reply: Lakeway Motor Classics