Sponsored by:

Hood/fender height alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
n100
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood/fender height alignment

After reading previous threads on subjects somewhat similar to this, I have come to the conclusion that my inner fender panels were bonded on wrong. Tell me if I wrong, but this is my problem. I am in the process of bonding the one piece front clip that came with my 69 corvette project when I bought it. Now I have the clip pretty much all lined up and positioned, but when I start on hood alignment, all the gaps look fine, the only problem is the side front fenders are probably 1/2 - 3/4 in higher than the hood, primarily around the wheel arch area, on those to big curves. But the front of the hood ad rear are almost perfectly flush with the rest of the hood surround portion. Now as I have said before, the one piece front clip came with my car, and it also came with the inner fender skirt things already bonded in place.

Is this the answer to my problem? That they were bonded on wrong?

I am really stressing about this and any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a typical problem that can happen with these cars for a number of different reasons. One possible reason is that the curvature of your hood is not the same as the aftermarket nose. Being able to adjust the height of your inner wheelhouses will offer some movement, by which you can start to remedy the problem. In a case like this, you may have to do several small things to get the desired effect. I would unbond the wheel houses from the nose, and start there. Then you can move things around and see what it looks like.

Then, you may need to do some shimming to get things right. There is not one certain solution to that issue, as it varies car to car...

The wheel houses being un bonded though, will undoubtely put you on the right path to fixing things.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Who bonded the inner fender panels to the one piece clip? The hood surround might be a little high on the panels. You would have to break the bonds along the top of the skirts, lower each fender top to meet your hood line, and rebond them. Teejus, but not impossible.

You could try a pair of hood blocks in the rain gutter and see if that raises the hood a tad.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood/fender height alignment

Quick Reply: Hood/fender height alignment