Sponsored by:

Sad day in Shreveport, Louisiana....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

I put the Jegs (MSD)Street fire in my 75 this summer ran A little better my Tach did seem to bounce a little but no big deal. I kept my old one because it has an extra module in it and a coil. it just seemed like the metal was just rusting away and yep they supply all the parts you would need to re-build one but $110. 00 and a fresh new one from MSD you cant go wrong.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 PM
buckNeccid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Paul, you beat me to the hole in the rotor thing. I had one go in a Checker (yea, taxi car) once, in the middle of an intersection, middle of a turn, just :::Poof:::: one second it was running fine, the next it was like I'd turned off the ignition. First time I'd ever seen it, and have only seen it maybe twice since then. It's not a well known failure.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks just like my 82 did on the same color flat bed about two months ago. Only mine had a left rear with a broken wheel and flat tire. Spun out and hit a curb. No, I wasn't hot roddin' it. Going up a hill, wet surface, computer decides to idle at 1200 rpm(40mph), going 30, breaks loose, hit brakes(wrong) and around I go.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
srosa75
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharp car!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man........... I thought something really bad happened
Old 11-24-2010, 10:16 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Found out what went wrong in my distributor....

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT, GUYS!!!

The new MSD came in and I installed it, set the timing and drove it around all afternoon...and she ran like a "Raped Ape!"

Anyway, after installing the new distributor, I talked to my mechanic to find out exactly what messed up the distributor. I found out the HEI distributor has a "ground strap" located underneath the coil and is VERY VERY important. Apparently when I swapped the coil, the ground strap was stuck to the bottom of the old coil. So when I installed the new coil, without the ground strap, and drove it for a day, it completely shorted out the ignition module. LESSON LEARNED!!!

So Guys, if you want to replace your HEI coil in the cap, make sure you re-install the ground strap...a little metal band....that makes ALL the difference in the world!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,979 Likes on 4,799 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Dad taught me that a long time ago. most of the time on HEI its the 5 dollar part that fails

Quick Reply: Sad day in Shreveport, Louisiana....