Sponsored by:

Car ran over my foot. Beware.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Car ran over my foot. Beware.

Remember a couple years ago one of our members showed his mangled bloody ankle after the rear wheel caught it. Well it happened to me.

I pulled out onto a major street when all of a sudden the car lost all drive power and went into a neutral mode. I was pointed up hill so I had a second to try and do a u-turn to get the car going down hill. As I turn, the car does not make it all the way and I'm stuck sideways with the nose of the car partially blocking the fast lane of the north bound side and the rear blocking the fast lane of the south bound side. It's dark around 8:00 pm. There is 3 lanes per side. The street is PCH in Manhattan Beach.

So traffic is coming from both sides and everyone is almost hitting my car so I'm freaking out what to do. I put the hazards on which was tough since the little chrome puller had fell off and was lost. I figure the next red light up the street will stop the traffic and I have a chance to push the car to safety. I start pushing and can't get it going when a bystander comes to my help. We start pushing and I'm holding the steering wheel and he is on the other side.

The car starts moving and then the next thing I know is my left foot is caught by the left rear tire. The tire rolls over my ankle and forces my leg and me down to the street. Now cars are upon us and stopped in all 3 lanes. I let go of the steering wheel since I'm forced to the ground and the car is slowing rolling down hill uncontrolled. I yell to the bystander PLEASE jump in the car and try and stop it. Otherwise it would just roll down and smash into parked cars or other stuff. I'm crawling towards the curb to get out of the street and someone helps me to the curb.

I get up thinking only about our forum member's foot and if that now has happened to me. I seem to be able to stand but I know big damage has been done. I see the guy actually somehow jumped in my car and turned it onto the next side street. I get to the car and thank the helpers all I can but still needed to get the car out of the way. So I jump in and take off down another side street hill where the car acts like it's going normal but when I get to the bottom and up the next hill it again is like in neutral. I just park the car and call the wife to pick me up.

I go to the E-room and get xrays and nothing is broken but I got funny stuff sticking out like bumps on my ankle. My lateral something is all messed up in my knee. I can't walk on it and I'm in a boot and crutches.

So bottom line is don't push these cars while steering. I should have known but this was a panic situation. I'm lucky this time. Almost swore to get rid of the car but I think I've calmed down now
Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Don Sims
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check rubber gas lines from frame to gas tank .some rot out. fuel pump ?Heal fast.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Gah, what a story! I hope you recover quickly and find out the problem with the Vette.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I remember the last guy that posted this up. Sounds like you made out a little better than him foot wise. Rest up and heal then figure out what the problem is.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

Hard to forget clutchdust's story. Sounds like you came out a little better. I have to say, in the same situation, despite his warnings, I would have panicked aslo and rushed to push the car out of the way. Hope you heal quickly and completely.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Sebago Shark
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

No pictures? That's just as well. I can still envision the pictures from the last time. that was enough for me. It can happen too easy with these cars. We are sitting more in between the wheels than out over them like a regular car and the back tire is right there at the door.
Hope you heal up quickly.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You tend to forget that the rear wheel is right behind the driver seat when you are pushing the car. You start extending your leg to get some momentum and the tire is right there waiting to crush your foot.

I'd probably do the same thing if cars were almost hitting the Vette from both directions and you only have a few seconds to think.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rick B.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
sgm2004
Instructor

Sufer, I had this happen to me along time ago and I had forgot about it. I had the car roll forward on a small grade & caught my shoe and road up part of the ankle. Luckly I was fast enought to jerk it out before to much was under. Did hurt though, I though it was so stupid I never mentioned it to anyone until now. It happens though and I became a lot more careful about keeping my feet out of the way. Thanks

sgm
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been there too. It ruptured my right Achilles tendon.

Hope you heal up quickly!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 135 Posts

I remember seeing Cluthdust's pictures...I threw up a little...you are lucky! Glad you're okay. Heal well and then fix the car.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll NEVER forget that or the pics as long as I live. That was probably the most important thing I learned here NOT to do with your Vette.
Hope you heal with no lingering effects.
Glenn
Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Frank.luvstingrays
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thanks for the tip defiantly won't be pushing my vette alone..
hope you heal quickly.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as clutchdust's.

The weird thing is I've always thought about that post of clutchdust's and thought it wouldn't happen to me. I guess there is just no way to avoid it in a panic situation. I keep telling myself, why didnt you jump in the seat when it started moving faster. I think I would have but even as it started moving slow, I was more worried about the traffic than anything. I still can't figure how my left ankle and not the right ankle got under.

Well, alot of TV watching and of course no surfing for probably a month or two. I had the car towed to my garage so maybe in a few days or so I'll try and get under and see what went wrong. I already looked at the clutch linkage which was in tack. My suspicion right now is most likely something with the shifter or tranny linkage might have broke or came loose. I'll update later.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:46 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You REALLY have to be careful and watch for that rear wheel, its sticking out of the body a little and is VERY close to the drivers door.

I had the same accident but in a different situation, I leaned inside the car when it was idling with the shifter in Neutral (a BIG mistake) where I accidentally hit the shifter with my body and put it in Drive, the car literally ran over my ankle and I was scared to death at that moment, thankfully no cars were around and I was able to put the shifter into Reverse to back it up.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the tip. It was only 4 months ago I needed a push start and was doing the same thing, completely unaware of that hazard. Fortunately I had a better result. Note to self...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear you and the car will be alright
Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

This happened to me also. The car was moving very slowly; I was able to pull my foot out of the loose tennis shoe. The hospital told me they see this all the time and I was one of the lucky ones. I only broke one toe, but my ankle is simply not the same. It hurts (just a little) right now. I cannot walk through Costco without pain. Certainly my 10K days are over.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Sorry to read of your injury Surfer. I know you give your Vette more than 100% and that injury was a major set back. I've been working long hours and focusing on my Z28 DD lately so haven't spent much time on the forum here. But i wanted to respond for support as your one of the most genuine and honest participants here.

Hope you fully recover and heal.
cardo0
Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your injury. On the bright side the 'vette didn't crash into parked cars and you don't have broken bones. It doesn't sound like you are as bad off as the other guy this happened to. Hope you heal quickly.

Get notified of new replies

To Car ran over my foot. Beware.

Quick Reply: Car ran over my foot. Beware.