C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ontario Orange vs. Atomic Orange

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM
DVNTST8
Le Mans Master

Location: if you have a ? on my avatar, please contact me directly, you spineless twit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It looks like on the display board it says 987 for the color, but definitely lists the color as Ontario Orange Fire Mist metallic.

Took these back in '06 at the Tombstone run.

It is a very stunning color.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

There were 3 "Firemist" colors produced in '71 & '72. #989 War Bonnet Yellow, #988 Steel Cities Gray, and #987 Ontario Orange were special "Firemist" series colors. It's believed the "Firemist" colors were designed to change hue under different light conditions. Ontario Orange was originally supposed to come out in the '70 model year, but there were apparently production problems and #993 Corvette Bronze took it's place.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave J
There were 3 "Firemist" colors produced in '71 & '72. #989 War Bonnet Yellow, #988 Steel Cities Gray, and #987 Ontario Orange were special "Firemist" series colors. It's believed the "Firemist" colors were designed to change hue under different light conditions. Ontario Orange was originally supposed to come out in the '70 model year, but there were apparently production problems and #993 Corvette Bronze took it's place.

Thanks for the info! But, does that mean that all 987 Ontario Orange Corvettes were the Firemist? Also, when I look up the 987 paint code, it says Ontario Orange Metallic. Confusing. LOL!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Have you considered Daytona Sunset Orange? It was available on the 05 and 06 C6. It's darker than atomic orange but has more of an orange hue. Atomic orange comes across more of a copper IMHO.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

"Firemist" is a metallic addition to the paint. The "Firemist" colors originated with the Cadillacs in the 50's. Ontario Orange 'Firemist' is Ontario Orange with fine gold metallics in the paint.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle275
Thanks for the info! But, does that mean that all 987 Ontario Orange Corvettes were the Firemist? Also, when I look up the 987 paint code, it says Ontario Orange Metallic. Confusing. LOL!
I agree, very confusing! This is only speculation on my part, but I think the confusion comes from the fact that there was supposed to be an "Ontario Orange" in 1970. Many factory documents do exist that list the color as an option in '70. Was this '70 Ontario Orange a "Firemist" or a metalic? Who knows! I have long suspected the "Corvette Bronze" that replaced it may have been the same color without the metallic component. My '70 Corvette Bronze convertible's is very close to the '71 and '72 Ontario Orange cars I've seen. Possibly some sources list it as Ontario Orange Metallic to separate it from the original '70 stillborn color.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge all 987's were "Firemist"

Here's 1970 Corvette Bronze in the shade.....

Same car and color in the sun........

Old 11-13-2010, 12:26 AM
alyle5864
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my 1976 in Atomic Orange

Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

My car still wears most of its orginal OO .... to be honest I did not like the color when I bought the car 5 years ago. However it has grown on me. Its pretty rare to see one as many were painted RED ...

In a year or two when it goes into the paint shop I will maybe paint it SCG. I love that color and you don't see it too often.

carbster
Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Always liked the Prowler Orange, here it is on a Camaro;

Old 11-13-2010, 12:02 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmeesq
What color is this?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
I thought all Ontario Orange was FireMist, but in any event that is what is on my 72. The color changes depending on the light. I first saw the car on a cloudy, snowy day and it looked, well, dull Orange. I figured that we would get used to it. In sunlight, however, it looks Gold to Bronze with Orange highlights. Last week I had the car parked under typical parking lot lights at night and it looked like Gold.

When the car is repainted I will either go for the original paint if available or a base/clear paint that duplicates the look.

Rick B.

Cloudy/Snowy

Sunny

Love the color!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:09 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcsdvette
What color is this?
Its called Gamma Gold, house of kolor paint
Old 11-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I like the Firemist and Prowler orange the best. One advantage of the Hugger orange is that it is a solid color, therefore touching it up will be easy. With metallics you have to blend and reclear a whole panel. I wouldn't make that a driving force in your decision though.

As for brands/quality, just use the base/clear urethane paint that the shop normally paints with. Stick with what THEY know, don't try to throw any wrenches into the paint job which could cause there to be any issues with application due their not being used to spraying a certain type of paint. Stick with a Urethane. Remember, paint is expensive. Everyone seems to think the shop is ripping them off when they see the cost of the paint. You go to a paint store and get a bill for $400 a gallon orange paint (not including the primer and any clears or reducers) and you'll understand. Good luck on the color change. I had a really hard time deciding on a paint color so I understand your diliema. I went with Silver and am glad I did.

Mark G
Old 11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark G
I like the Firemist and Prowler orange the best. One advantage of the Hugger orange is that it is a solid color, therefore touching it up will be easy. With metallics you have to blend and reclear a whole panel. I wouldn't make that a driving force in your decision though.

As for brands/quality, just use the base/clear urethane paint that the shop normally paints with. Stick with what THEY know, don't try to throw any wrenches into the paint job which could cause there to be any issues with application due their not being used to spraying a certain type of paint. Stick with a Urethane. Remember, paint is expensive. Everyone seems to think the shop is ripping them off when they see the cost of the paint. You go to a paint store and get a bill for $400 a gallon orange paint (not including the primer and any clears or reducers) and you'll understand. Good luck on the color change. I had a really hard time deciding on a paint color so I understand your diliema. I went with Silver and am glad I did.

Mark G
Thanks Mark. Will do. I bet that Silver looks real classy!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmeesq
Its called Gamma Gold, house of kolor paint
That thing is bada**!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by rcsdvette
Thanks Mark. Will do. I bet that Silver looks real classy!
It looks pretty good, but my interior is black, so I had options. I think you are on the right track to go to orange rather than brown. OTOH, you could also paint it another color and change the interior color. What's the condition of your dash and door panels. If you need a complete new interior anyway... But that'll cost ya.

Mark G
Old 11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark G
It looks pretty good, but my interior is black, so I had options. I think you are on the right track to go to orange rather than brown. OTOH, you could also paint it another color and change the interior color. What's the condition of your dash and door panels. If you need a complete new interior anyway... But that'll cost ya.

Mark G
My interior is shall we say - nonexistent! I need almost new everything...so a color change from tan to black would be pretty easy...but still exepensive.

Get notified of new replies

To Ontario Orange vs. Atomic Orange

Old 11-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Vette Rookie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this one on craigslist the other day. Not sure how close it is to the color you are looking for, but it could be close.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/2045240187.html
Old 11-13-2010, 06:24 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by smokedtires
always liked the prowler orange, here it is on a camaro;

wow!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vette Rookie
I saw this one on craigslist the other day. Not sure how close it is to the color you are looking for, but it could be close.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/2045240187.html
Close...that's almost a copper color..looks nice but i want a little more orange. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ontario Orange vs. Atomic Orange