Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Ins Co to pay for repairs to NCRS-class C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Why would you want to drive your car to work? So it can get vandalized or egged? That is exactly why the collector car insurers won't write a policy for folks who want to drive to work....they know how often 'work-mates' get jealous and key their cars!!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM
khoffx2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7T1vette,

Go to the "My Classic Car" website, Click on "Episodes" then "Season 12 (2009) and then "Episode 6", then on the right hand side click on "Garage segment". You can watch and listen to Jim Grundy of Grundy Insurance discuss occasionally driving your classic car to work. He encourages it.

Also, some of us work in areas where people are civil and respect others' property.

Thanks,

KenH
Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 AM
wan2run
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by khoffx2
Wan2Run,

Grundy told me the same thing about driving my 'vette to work, but in a recent interview (advertisement) on "My Classic Car" the owner of Grundy said just the opposite. He said that there was no restriction on driving your car to work occasionally. I was surprised, to say the least. I've been meaning to call them about this, but haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks

Ken
Interesting...let us know what they say when you inquire.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Grundy only wants you to drive it to work "occasionally" so you can make your friends envious and want to buy one, too (and insure it with Grundy). Look, when you drive your Corvette to work, it is telling your fellow workers "Hey, look what I have...I'm cool!" And that doesn't really sit well with lots of folks. Is it "childish" for them to be envious? Yes. Is it pretty normal for the human race? Definitely, yes.

Go ahead and drive it to work. I'd give it about a week before your car is 'keyed', has a tire punctured, or has some other little 'message' sent your way. [Just tryin' to keep the car from being damaged. But, hey, it's your car....]
Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Go ahead and drive it to work. I'd give it about a week before your car is 'keyed', has a tire punctured, or has some other little 'message' sent your way. [Just tryin' to keep the car from being damaged. But, hey, it's your car....]
Jesus where do you live?..Ive been driving my car to work at least one day a week for 8 years and before that it was my daily driver and I have NEVER had a vandalism event. My classic car insurance written through AAA doesnt limit me to miles or car events only, its only restriction is that the car must be kept in a locked garage and must not be my primary transport. (agreed value 20k)

As a rule the vette is driven only fri-sunday and remains parked for the rest of the week it gets between 5-6k miles a year.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM
khoffx2
Advanced

7T1vette,

I've been driving my 'vette to work "occasionally" (about once a month) for the last two years, without incident. I dont know your parking situation at work, nor do I know anything about the mentality or vindictiveness of the people you work with, but where I work those problems don't exist.

As for the reason that Grundy allows occasionally driving your classic car to work, I won't speculate, but I don't think that the reason you gave is correct.

Lastly, I was going to call Grundy this morning about this issue, but I decided to take a look at my policy first. I found the following under "Auto Usage Endorsement", "Personal Auto Policy".

Paragraph B: It is agreed and understood that the following definition is added to the policy:

"Collector vehicle" means a private passenger auto or motorcycle that:

Item 2: Is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands, shopping, general transportation, secondary or back-up transportation, business or commercial purposes, except for limited pleasure use.

I need to call Grundy about another matter and will confirm the above with them and post the outcome later today.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM
khoffx2
Advanced

O.K., I just had a conversation with Sandy at Grundy. She said that the policy is that "occasional" driving to work is O.K. She did kind of agree with the points that 7T1vette was trying to make when she advised, "when you do drive to work, use your common sense and try not to put the car in jeopardy of loss or damage".

Makes sense.

Thanks,

KenH
Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by zdave83
Hello

Well, disaster struck today. My '82 C3 got rear-ended hard this afternoon. Nobody seriously hurt, but really really sore. Now I'm worried that the other driver's insurance company only will want to patch it and make it look "ok" --- for now.

I just want the Vette repaired in a way that maintains its level of value prior to the accident. But I'm afraid the insurance company won't share my sense of fair value.

A little background. I bought the C3 3 years ago from a guy who was on the NCRS track with it. He passed along new interior parts to replace things that I can't tell need to be replaced. It had 26K original miles and literally looked like it came off the showroom floor. I had a local restoration shop go thru it and they thought his price was at-market or a little below. He sold it because he needed the money for a family situation. I bought it because I've wanted a really nice C3 for over 30 years.

I didn't continue down the NCRS track with it like he was, but I've kept it garaged, only drive it in good weather, and have only added 4K miles in the 3 years I've had it. It's still an "NCRS-class" car.

Any advice on how to get the insurance company to repair it in a way that maintains "fair value" would be greatly appreciated.

I just want the car back to where it was, but if it has too much damage, I'd also appreciate any advice on how to best deal with the situation.

Thanks in advance -- Dave
The BIG question is what type of insurance are you carrying on the car? Do you have an "Agreed Value" policy with your insurance company? If you are just carrying regular car insurance .... you are basically up the creek with out a paddle for the following reasons

1. Your own insurance company will only pay up to current book value of the car - not an Agreed Value" price.
Agreed Value policies may or may not have restrictions on use of the car. The car may have had to be appraised by an appraiser before the Agreed Value, or you had to comply with insurance company guideliness to get this type of policy.

2. The person that caused the accidient is covered and was proven to be at fault. His insurance company will only pay book value for repairs or total your car if the cost of repair exceeds book value of car.

Now if you have an Agreed Value policy, get a repair appraisal done yourself by a trusted body shop to return the car to new but not exceed your Agreed Value. Hold that close to your vest, once his insurance company hands over their repair statement, compair work and price. If they refuse to repair or meet your expectations, repair the car under your insurance policy and have your insurance company sue for the cost of repair and collect from his insurance company, you may be out of a deductable which will usually be returned to you once your insurance company settles with his.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Hmmm.... Grundy has business sense...as Corvette drivers, we should use 'common' sense.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Hmmm.... Grundy has business sense...as Corvette drivers, we should use 'common' sense.
indeed!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I didn't know Grundy allowed occasional driving to work. I'll give them a call and probably switch over to them once my '71 is back on the road. I've been staying away from collector car ins because they generally don't allow any driving to work.

Quick Reply: Getting Ins Co to pay for repairs to NCRS-class C3