Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by LeSkid
Hey Denis
been a few weeks with no news..... what's up?
Sorry André for not answering quicker, I was hoping to reply with a proper update, but it won't happen until next week, a Summit order got delayed badly.
But don't worry, I haven't stopped working on it.

Right now I'm shaving off the body paint, it's a long and tedious task.

I made a hell of a bargain a couple of weeks ago : a complete TPI setup for 40$, just in case I don't know what to do next winter.

I'm about to make a deal on a WC T5.... looks like my vette will be manual afterall.

Stay tuned.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked if it was going to be a stick. I gave a way the peddles that was in the orange body.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom Sarno
I asked if it was going to be a stick. I gave a way the peddles that was in the orange body.
Tom, my friend, our relationship is a long string of missed opportunities.
In this case it must be misunderstanding, because I have no recollection of you saying that, sure I would have say 'hell yes' to that.
I've actually been looking for the pedal set for a while.
Now I got back to the garage and cry.....
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you want a weld in crossmenber. All the older stick cars were weld in.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom Sarno
Do you want a weld in crossmenber. All the older stick cars were weld in.
I haven't investigate that yet. I thought it was better to start with a automatic car since the crossmember IS removable.
I thought I would need some kind adapter to make the T5 seat correctly.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default no, I'm not dead

Hello everyone, finally here's an update.
We had very hot days lately in Montreal, and I did progress slowly. While the garage was too hot to work I spent some time shopping, and I found some pretty good deals.

First, I was tired of my ever growing list of tools being stacked in a couple of crappy plastic toolboxes, to I bought a proper metal toolchest

at 200$ I can't complain, it's deep and not too large, perfect for my cramped environment.

I always wanted to have a front spoiler, and I found two locally

One is broken but fixable. 75$ for the pair.
The good point here is that it's local. Those part are almost impossible to ship safely unless you build a crate for it.

And here's my best deal :

Plexiglass T-top. 250$ shipped, the guy just didn't know what he was selling.
They have very few scratch and the weatherstrip are like new.
Being see-thru is just a plus for me, my main interest is headroom. I'm 6'6" so every headroom gain is welcome. I wanted glass one, but they was out of my budget, and reading horror stories about how people break theirs, I'm glad mine will be much more forgiving when handled. I don't want a fragile garage queen, I want a sturdy machine that beg for yet another ride.
Those are for later C3, I will have to buy an adapter.

Here is my new master cylinder, a steel one from Summit. I gave up on scrapyard aluminium m/c. The ports were not matching and I couldn't find one with a proper bore diameter. With the hydroboost I was advised to have a bigger bore, 1.125".

While I was at it, I decided to remove the line lock the PO installed. I'm not a tire burner guy, I don't see the point having one. Even more now I decided to switch to manual .

I also received the low profile nut to install the spacer I've been given.

Here's with the wheel on :

The tire are now really sticking out. I guess I'm good for a flare job.
The tires are 275 on a 10.5" rims, I not sure the weight is correctly balanced for the bearings. As soon as I can open the garage door, I'll have a look at this.

As you could see in the previous picture and the following one, I almost finished stripping the paint :

I used the razor method. The less chemical I use the best I am. Bought a good razor holder at NAPA and a pack of 100 blades. I used a third of the pack to do the job. It's a little scary at first, but when the use of it, you can strip the whole car in 10 to 15 hours.

My next step was to finish the brake. This weekend I did the finishing touch like tuning the parking brake drum tension (screw until the wheel is blocked, then back off 8 to 10 notches) and installing new brake boots :

When I received them I found myself stupid, how am I gonna put them??
The spherical terminator is huge compared to the boot ID.
I tried to spread the boot with a pair of needle nose pliers and to my surprise those rubber things can be stretched a lot without breaking.

The finish touch was putting the caliper bleeder.
Then I spotted something odd. On the driver rear caliper, the outside bleeder and plug wasn't fitting well. I asked for help on the forum and after closer inspection I realized the outer half was a passenger one. Trying to get that fixed with the guy who sold them to me ended up in quiet a bust up.
Hoppefully a local C2 club member could provide me a new caliper.
I'm currently cleaning it, and there's one product I want to recommand : Evaporust.
On the bottle sticker, here, there is a picture of a rim, top half is rusted, bottom half is sparklingly clean. Most of the time those pictures scream "Snake oil!".
Look :

I didn't have deep enough container, the caliper spent 12h hour and just did a light hand brush cleaning.
I'm pretty sure it's the same molasses trick the hot rod builder are using, only on steroid. It's definitly sugar based.
It doesn't come cheap here, but it really does the job.
Since it's not acid, I know it won't start etching the SS sleeves.
I used it for tolerance sensible parts, like my calipers and my hydroboost,

That's it.
Next step is the bleeding of the brake (finally) and them I can put the car on the dollie and move is around so I can properly align the doors.

Stay tuned
Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

It's been a long time since last update.
For some obscure reasons I can't work on the car for the moment, so I switched to my hunt for an affordable manual conversion 'full time'.
I've been searching for months.
It took me a lot of failed deals and missed opportunities to finally find a decent base for my transmission :

A '90 camaro T5, bought in Montreal (Thanks Mario)

It's a world class, you can tell by the shape of the bearing retainer

Got it for 200$. There's a reason I got it at that price:

It ate its gears. So I'm now shopping for a 3rd and a cluster gear.
And yes, this is grease you see on the 3rd gear. The guy I bought it got scammed buying it as a good working transmission, the guys before did put grease to camouflage grinding noises.
If someone spots something worth mentioning, well, mention it.
I'm ordering a rebuild kit and start gathering a bunch of instruction on how to do it. It doesn't look that complicated and I got all the needed tools.

This transmission is a 2.95 first. It's not the best ratio for a 3.08 diff, but on the torque rating side, that's the best GM T5 you can find (300 ft/lbs).
I will eventually have to swap for a 3.73 diff.

The input shaft it 26 spline, and the output is 27 spline. I can't verify for now but it looks compatible with the TH350 slip yoke.

One thing that could be a PITA is the tilted installation angle

I found a very affordable Chevy lakewood scattershield, if I want to be able to use it I will need to install the transmission straight, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the rear mount.
I contacted Fuelie74, I know he already did this.
Bellhousing and clutch pedal are on their way, flywheel way come later.
Now time to find a clutch, a pressure plate and a throw out bearing, I got a couple of option but haven't setup my mind yet.

I also want a short throw shifter, and on Ebay all you could find are Mustang T5 shifter. From what I've read the only difference is the mounting plate, which is longer on the mustang, the camaro one is more square shaped.
It should be possible to modify a Mustang one to fit the Camaro T5. Anyone ever tried this?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 AM
LeSkid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ?

what's that crack in the lower left corner?

Originally Posted by Denpo

Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

what's that crack in the lower left corner?
Hey André, sorry not to answer earlier. It as the same "crack" on the upper right side on the picture, and it looks like a normal thing. Thanks anyway, see you in the garage soon? I'm running out of bubba lube these days
Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I finally could go pick it up my scattershield at the border.

This thing is huge and heavy, I don't know the brand, all is says is that it's been made in Mexico.
It match the transmission mounts, I will check on Michel BBC this weekend if it fit a chevy engine. It's supposed to, but the number of holes is much smaller than on lakewood's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like this beast should not have problem with a 11" clutch. However not sure I can put that with a 153 teeth flywheel, they usually work with 10.5 clutches.

Adjustable pivot ball, holes for hydraulic line on the right, and at the left a mount for some sort of bracket (vendor accessories or stock bracket?)

Yet another sweet deal a 130$ shipped to the border.
On the way back home canadian customs didn't even bother making me pay taxes. I love that.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:13 PM
LeSkid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey André, sorry not to answer earlier. It as the same "crack" on the upper right side on the picture, and it looks like a normal thing. Thanks anyway, see you in the garage soon? I'm running out of bubba lube these days
bonjour monsieur
sorry for the late reply too. I was out of town all week.

Yeah, I'm due to pop in - been a while. Mind you it seems that every time I pop by, you're onto yet another project.... you ever planning on putting it together and.... you know, DRIVING it?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

bonjour monsieur
sorry for the late reply too. I was out of town all week.

Yeah, I'm due to pop in - been a while. Mind you it seems that every time I pop by, you're onto yet another project.... you ever planning on putting it together and.... you know, DRIVING it?
It's been a year now that I started my resto.
Having it running one year after was a ambitious goal, I may have reach it if I haven't discovered so many broken/rotten things .
Since I missed this summer time window and I'm due to drive it next year, I decided to go for a manual swap, because it's just the only way such car should be driven.
But it's still the same project, and I'm more dedicated than ever to get it done.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

This weekend I could dismantle the T5, it was a 2h job, when you got the correct instruction.
After inspecting the gear I deemed most of the part were good to go.
The 2nd and 5th gear synchro teeth show some wear, but it still good to go.
No noticeable wear on gear teeth except the reverse idler gear which is badly worn.
Surprisingly the synchro rings are still peachy, as most of the other small parts.
I will post picture later.

So, all thing considered, I ordered a cluster gear, a 3rd gear, a reverse idler gear and a bearing only rebuilt kit.
Transmission was one of the last "fear frontier", I thought is would be damn rocket science.
How wrong I was, with the instruction video, it's child's play.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

As promised, some picture of my T5's gears.

First speed, mint condition, which is not surprising

Second speed, synchro teeth are worn, but still useable

Fith gear, again, the teeth are show some wear, but not too bad

the 1-2-reverse slider, in execellent shape

And the cluster gear and the third, just dead.

The rings look like new :

The output shaft is in nice condition, no wear or pitting on the bit.

This saturday I could spend some time at Michel's, using his sandblasting both. I glass-blasted my transmission case and protected it with a clear coast.

I also found time to install my spreader bar

At first I had it installed on directly on the front bolt, just that would have make the alignment process complicated, so I had two pieces of steel welded a the extremities and installed it the way most spreader bar are.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Not much time for doing restoration these days, crunch time at work, 6 days a week, but we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Still I could log some progress.
I received my pedals set, amongst other stuff from Ken of Ken's Corvette parts. Cool guy, great prices.
Didn't take long to get then cleaned and painted, they was very clean already.

Any Star Wars fan around?

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't leave a certain part just like it left the factory, bare metal like those pedals. Then I remember why I'm here in this garage, rebuilding a car, and grab the can of POR15.
That car ain't no rust home anymore.

And it didn't take long to have them installed

Every times a PITA to install.

I also received my parts for the T5 rebuilt, unfortunately the guys at The Gearbox screwed up my order. I received a 2nd speed gear instead of a 3rd. The only thing in common it that they have 30 teeth. Sent a mail today, no answer, will call them tomorrow.
So here I am into the rebuild:

Cluster gear installed along with the reverse idler gear and fork.
I need a thicker shim, got play in the cluster gear.

Last edited by Denpo; 10-04-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Quick update on The Gearbox order screw up.
Got the guys on the phone and they sent me the correct gear right away, without even waiting for me to send the bad one back.
So kudos to the guys at The Gearbox, they know how to turn a bad into an awesome good.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

It's been a full month of overtime, but at last I got a real weekend.
Here's one of the stuff I could do.

You might remember I've been given two DD quality steering wheel.

After a good cleaning, I wrapped the metal core with a piece of air hose.

Gluing the hose to the metal frame took some trial and error. I needed a rock solid binding, but there was a lot of space to fill, and some area don't see any air.
What did the job for me was Gorilla glue. It expands a lot when curing and its catalyst is water, so you just have to damp parts a little when putting the glue.

On top of this layer I added a piece of 1" hose I have in stock. This time I used regular contact glue, wrap it up with metal wire (you can still see the parten on the picture) and let it cure overnight.

I have a piece of black moose leather I bought last year from a native trader, I'm gonna try wrapping and stitching it over.
I've found a very neat stitching technique I'm gonna try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i23RI...eature=related

Get notified of new replies

To My '76 restoration (long post)

Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Very interesting technique. btw I found that horn button I had lost a few months ago
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Very interesting technique. btw I found that horn button I had lost a few months ago
Thanks Ben.
Too bad for the button, just bought one on the cheap.
That being said I'm experiencing a very strange sensation : I almost don't have anything to buy anymore for the vette, gone is the Ebay fever.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks Ben.
Too bad for the button, just bought one on the cheap.
That being said I'm experiencing a very strange sensation : I almost don't have anything to buy anymore for the vette, gone is the Ebay fever.
Oh come on man, I know you can think of something else you want to buy from me. I gotta pay for college you know!

All joking aside, thats a very good place to be, not having to buy anything else for your car. I guess you can save up for a paint job

Quick Reply: My '76 restoration (long post)