1981 with rear SPOILER....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Spitfire80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 with rear SPOILER....

Gents

Friend of mine invited me to check out his purchased 1981 corvette.

She's is a beauty. White in colour with red interior. Above average well maintained. Not much to do on it. A good "BUFF" job by pro's and she would be top notch. All interior clocks, a/c, are in working order.

What got my attention is that a rear wing was installed on top of the existing 81 spoiler.
Now we have all different taste and we must respect that. He made the 1st comment and expressed that he wasn't too keen about the looks. Since he opened the door, I agreed with him.
The wing fits well and was installed properly. I was sure it was an "add on" by its young previous owner.
To my surprise, when I got home, I was looking at few vette magazines and I came across a picture with a corvette with the same set up

Are they still outhere ?
Any owners with same set up care to post pictures ?

S80
Old 10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is my wing, I put it on in the 80's and I do not care if some ***** thinks it looks like crap.. I like it!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewn
Here is my wing, I put it on in the 80's and I do not care if some ***** thinks it looks like crap.. I like it!
The side pipes make up for it !
Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Jacobs81
Intermediate

Nice car! Love the side pipes and that dash looks cool!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I've got the SAME 80's (er, maybe early 90's) rims on my car!!

Mark G
Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Here is my wing, I put it on in the 80's and I do not care if some ***** thinks it looks like crap.. I like it! ...

No disrespect Mewn, but why do I have to be a ***** if I don't like it? It's your car, not mine.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Mewn
Pro

Thanks for asking Mike. I just wanted to get ahead of the game and throw up a big middle finger to all the puke mongers before they trash on my never ending project.. Hanging out on this forum has trained me to think that most people commenting on a wing on a Corvette are going to be ******... It is a tough subject on here. People come out of the woodwork just to jump on the trash talk bandwagon. Just trying to stay a step ahead if you know what I mean. Also, it was a weak attempt at humor. You seem like a nice guy though. I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
No disrespect Mewn, but why do I have to be a ***** if I don't like it? It's your car, not mine.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:06 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm still on the fence about mine. Was on the car when I got it. I am not keen on the double fin look.....if I get rear flares as I desire....I may remove it then.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

The red one is cool with the side pipes and dash, I kind of like the wing on it as well. Something different from a stock 80-82. I don't care for that dual wing look in that purple one though but I love the color, nice pipes and wheels too.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Is that the ACI "Collectors Edition"body kit ????
I've always liked the wing and front spoiler combo
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM
sabre1981
Racer

I like that dash, but how did it effect the speakers? I'd also like to know what the yellow car is in the garage (other than it being another Corvette).
Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Mewn
Pro

The purple corvette looks amazing, it looks like someone went to a lot of trouble to mold the wing in to the body. It looks like a quality job.
I got my ground effects kit from Ecklers way back in the late 80s early 90s The wing was for a 80's Camaro, I trimmed the feet down to hang over the back a little. It is slightly wider then the *** end also..
Sabre:
The yellow Corvette is a 2000 convertible with a few modifications, and has a Magnacharger with a 6 speed. The red car has an extensive sound system with seperate tweeters on the dash and 6" speakers in the kick panels. You can see more pics of the red car sound system here:
My 1981 Corvette
And the yellow car here:
My 2000 Corvette
Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I apologize if I hurt your feelings...
Nope. Feelings not hurt, but also not a *****.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-14-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
alviau99
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Spitfire80
Gents

She's is a beauty. White in colour with red interior. Above average well maintained. Not much to do on it. A good "BUFF" job by pro's and she would be top notch. All interior clocks, a/c, are in working order.

What got my attention is that a rear wing was installed on top of the existing 81 spoiler.
Now we have all different taste and we must respect that. He made the 1st comment and expressed that he wasn't too keen about the looks. Since he opened the door, I agreed with him.
The wing fits well and was installed properly. I was sure it was an "add on" by its young previous owner.
To my surprise, when I got home, I was looking at few vette magazines and I came across a picture with a corvette with the same set up

Are they still outhere ?

S80
I spitfire80, my friend. I can see your talking about my car I'll put a picture of it tonight so that everybody can comment on it.
Thank s for the comment
an sorry for my french accent:
Old 07-13-2011, 05:28 PM
divesheik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1981 Vette with Rear Spoiler

Originally Posted by Spitfire80
Gents

Are they still outhere ?

S80
I'm looking at picking up a used 81 Vette as a possible investment. This car has a rear spoiler on it, that the owner claims is original. She also told me it's a "special edition" based on the spoiler. this car appears to have the 80/98 Autumn Red/Dark Claret two tone paint. She says the car is original except for the wheels she put on. anyone know about the 81 coming with a rear spoiler and being a special edition?

is there a way to get detailed build records on the car with the VIN without the build sheet?

Thanks,
Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
THefley
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrJlr
The side pipes make up for it !
<------ From this *****
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by divesheik
I'm looking at picking up a used 81 Vette as a possible investment. This car has a rear spoiler on it, that the owner claims is original. She also told me it's a "special edition" based on the spoiler. this car appears to have the 80/98 Autumn Red/Dark Claret two tone paint. She says the car is original except for the wheels she put on. anyone know about the 81 coming with a rear spoiler and being a special edition?

is there a way to get detailed build records on the car with the VIN without the build sheet?

Thanks,
Pretty sure that there were no "special editions" for '81. You can tell a lot from the VIN #, but if it was a two tone car, it was made in Bowling Green.

Mine was a two tone 80/98 car at one point.

As an investment, I'd call an '81 a penny stock. It's cheap and has a possibility of appreciating in value, but I would not bet on it. Here's hoping they go through the roof!

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 with rear SPOILER....

Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
szinkel
Cruising

I'm 17 years old and I would never put a wing on mine. I'm on the fence about sidepipes. I may be young, but I really like it original. It seems more "classic" to me that way.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
divesheik
Advanced

Default More Info

Originally Posted by szinkel
I'm 17 years old and I would never put a wing on mine. I'm on the fence about sidepipes. I may be young, but I really like it original. It seems more "classic" to me that way.
Well, I just took some pictures of this thing and noticed that gas caps says "Collectors Edition". This becomes more interesting because I cannot find any references to a 1981 Collectors Edition Car. There was a Collectors Edition in 1982 however. The VIN definitely tells me this is a 1981 Bowling Green Car.

More research required on this car.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by divesheik

Thanks,
No 81 came with a factory wing of any sort. There were no "special edition" 81's either, though there is some information available, that indicates Chevrolet cosidered doing a commorative edition for the new Bowling Green plant. Instead of a commorative edition, according to the 81 1/2 sales brochure, the optional two-tone paint was offered to "celebrate the opening of the new plant". The emblem may be an aftermarkat item, or an 82 CE emblem, on an 81.

If that 81 was built in Bowling Green (and two-tone cars were only built in BG), you can contact the National Corvette Museum and buy a copy of the original window sticker and the build sheet. I forget the exact price, but I think it's $40-$50 each. If the 11th digit of the VIN is a "5", the car was built in Bowling Green, an "S" as the 11th digit indicates a St. Louis car.

Quick Reply: 1981 with rear SPOILER....