Sponsored by:

to sell or not to sell, i need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 PM
C3HOONIGAN
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to sell or not to sell, i need opinions

Well, recently i've been thinking about getting rid of my 74. I can't decide what to do, the car is all numbers matching, but needs quite a bit of tlc. At one point, in the mid 90s almost everything on the car was new, or rebuilt. Since then its been through an owner, who left the car outside for a few years, with just a cover on it. Most things underneath the car have surface rust, and the frame underneath the drivers door is a little tender. The wiring in the car is also a little hacked. the car came with a lot of new stuff. The motor is really the strong point of the car, the car is all numbers matching, but the motor was rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted. Its at a 10 to 1 compression ratio (i think, i would have to find the build sheet, either way not stock), forged pistons, comp cam, fastburn heads, high rise gmpp manifold, and an edelbrock carb. also an aluminum radiator. The t-10 tranny thats in it has been rebuilt and has a beefier clutch. I'm not sure if i should keep the car together, and fix it, or take the motor out, and find a chrome bumpered c3 to throw the motor in. The body is a no-hit example. Any opinions would be great. I feel it would be a shame to seperate the motor from the car, but its not a great example at this point. Sorry if my writing is a little off, i wrote this in a hurry.

Last edited by C3HOONIGAN; 09-16-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you love the car, or the motor? If the car is lustworthy but the frame is soft, and you have some space for a project: clean rolling frames can be had quite reasonably. Pick one up, freshen the paint and suspension and transplant the running gear and body in a couple weekends, or over next winter. You get to enjoy the car while you work, and will have done all the hardest work without taking the vehicle out of service.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Opinions are like as*holes: everybody has one. The only one which matters is yours and what you decide to do with the car.

Leave the engine in the car. Pulling it will devalue your '74.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Opinions are like as*holes: everybody has one. The only one which matters is yours and what you decide to do with the car.

Leave the engine in the car. Pulling it will devalue your '74.

I don't recall '74s coming being equipped with T-10 tranny. They came withe either the M20 or M21.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:51 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default My 2 cents!

-Sit tight until after the November elections this year

(Agree with above, keep the original engine with the car)
Old 09-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Silent One
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Your reasoning?

Originally Posted by 20mercury
-Sit tight until after the November elections this year

(Agree with above, keep the original engine with the car)
Curious about your reasoning - do you feel that sentiments will rise after the mid-terms with collector car values following?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Today is not a good time to sell anything. Tomorrow may be even worse. I would wait until the economy turns around and people feel better about spending money, especially on old cars. I've thought about selling my Harley and my boat, just because I've lost interest in them, but I'm not willing to accept half of what they are worth...to me.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

its only good if your buying, but if your selling yeah its s sucky place to be..
Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM
C3HOONIGAN
Instructor

to answer a few questions, the transmission is for sure a t-10...so i guess it isnt all number matching...(you are right, 74s didnt come with those) I guess I never realized that. The block matches for sure though. As far as why I want to get rid of it, the car is just a bit overwhelming sometimes when it comes to amount of work it needs, whether it be big stuff or little stuff. I question putting money into it sometimes, because it seems like an endless road. (which most old cars are always needing money) I am only 20, so I have a lot of years ahead of me to work on it. The car doesn't really owe me anything either, I bought it from an older gentleman for next to nothing, but it was in a lot worse shape than it is now.

Last edited by C3HOONIGAN; 09-19-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Originally Posted by 87blazer74vette
to answer a few questions, the transmission is for sure a t-10...so i guess it isnt all number matching...(you are right, 74s didnt come with those) I guess I never realized that. The block matches for sure though. As far as why I want to get rid of it, the car is just a bit overwhelming sometimes when it comes to amount of work it needs, whether it be big stuff or little stuff. I question putting money into it sometimes, because it seems like an endless road. (which most old cars are always needing money) I am only 20, so I have a lot of years ahead of me to work on it. The car doesn't really owe me anything either, I bought it from an older gentleman for next to nothing, but it was in a lot worse shape than it is now.

well i would say if your only 20, i would keep it and slowly do a little at a time with it.. something to enjoy later if life when u have a wife and rug rats. i know many of peeps who wish they would if got that something or other when it was cheep back in the day.. me included.. i wish i would of got a few things when i was 10 or 11... i had a few chances to get some cool things out of a junk yard.. one was a 70's camaro.. my uncle was going to give it to me..
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell - run - enjoy--- drink Pina Colada

Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 AM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...sell it. What's a T-10? Auto-matici? The 74's came with a Muncie, Borg-Warner or Turbohydromatic.

Get notified of new replies

To to sell or not to sell, i need opinions

Quick Reply: to sell or not to sell, i need opinions