Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Tech Collision & Restoration Joliet IL Review of Caution

Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 PM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Tech Collision & Restoration Joliet IL Review of Caution

I brought my 1975 Corvette to Darrel Hadley, owner of Master Tech in June 2010 to perform what should have been simple bumper cover replacement with paint.
The job was estimated to take one week, and took 2 months to get it to a point of semi completion. Darrel also wanted additional monies. The car has the Master Tech induced issues listed below. Prior to writing this review, and removing my car from Master Tech I pointed out the issues to Darrel, and asked that they be rectified. He did not correct the issues and told me it was acceptable to him.
The issues are as follows: CORVETTE lettering mis aligned, Two Cracks in Fender, Various runs in paint, what appears to be burns in paint from over buffing, and Front Bumper cover completely mis-aligned.
AT this point the work performed by Master Tech need to be done over, additional fender repair, and painting is necessary. Please be cautious if considering Master Tech Collision and Restoration.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

That's awful. This is in no way any defense of MasterTech, but when I installed my new replacement rubber front bumper cover (the expensive one from Ecklers), what I thought was going to be a simple paint and bolt-on proceedure required me re-doing the bodywork at the corners to get the body to blend in to the contour of the bumper. Fiberglass is even worse. Vettes were more or less hand made on the assembly line and often times new panel replacement requires a lot more body massaging than one would think. But a body shop should have been able to kick that out in a couple days.

Mark G
Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DunskisC3
. He did not correct the issues and told me it was acceptable to him.
wow whatever happened to the customer is always right !!!!! or at least to satisfy the customer.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 AM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like they're here in my backyard.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

Pray tell what did this Michelangelo charge for his masterpiece of work ?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:54 PM
jbaron
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

Dunskis
Your not far from me. If you want the job done right and for a fair price ,go to Case Autobody in Kankakee. Phone 815-933-5750. Brian there did a full repaint on mine this winter. A fantastic job!!
You won't be sorry. Tell them Jim(with the Gray Vette) sent you.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. This forum has been a great place to get information. Before I took the car to Master Tech I researched replacing the covers, best type to use, and how it is done. I chose Tru-Flex covers and Darrell from Master Tech and I discussed the job in detail before I agreed to let him do the work.

It is simply was a bad decision to use Master Tech and I just want to make sure others know a bit of what they are getting into if they wish to take their projects to Master Tech.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM
DunskisC3
Advanced

HI Guys,
Thanks for the reply's and support! Everyone has been great since I joined CF.
JBaron, Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into that shop.

10, you asked how much I paid. Here is the run down.

I paid $1,300 for removal of front cover (I removed rear), mounting of both front and rear covers, and paint of covers, rims, and rocker panels. The rims and rockers were pre prepped so it was spray only. Separately I bought the Tru-Flex Covers and associated hardware.
Also as part of the deal Master Tech was going to buff the entire car (which he didnt do). Yesterday I washed the car for the first time since her return. The car had a haze of paint overspray all over it which felt like fine sandpaper.

I am not certain if the price would have been fair if the job were done right, but it seemed fair at the time. I probably should have sought advice from other members prior to getting the work done.

This project is new for me so it is still kind of like feeling my way around in the dark, and I just stubbed my toe.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
twlinks
Instructor

Obviously getting Master Tech to correct the issues isn't going to happen at this point and I wouldn't let them touch my car again anyway. I would go get 2 or 3 estimates from other shops and then I'd be visiting with my attorney. Don't let them get off the hook.

You might also consider having a nice sign made and then go sit out in front of their shop next Saturday morning...know what I mean???
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

Dunskis......

Man I'd have been royally pissed.......I don't know if $1,300 is good or bad.....but he did a crap job and didn't even finish it right.

Is there public property in front of his shop where you can legally park ?

Give him one chance to fix it or refund some money. Do not threaten him or tell him what is next. Be polite and see him in person, point out the deficiencies.

If he doesn't concede anything, legally park out front/beside of his shop and make some signs up for the Vette, then spend a couple of hours there with your car, the signage and the invoice, during the peak traffic periods. Talk to people.......

Call local car clubs and the local news media beforehand.......they eat this kind of stuff right up.

Last edited by 10caipirinhas; 08-29-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
orourke
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

I just don't understand "WHY" it's so difficult for some business's to......... "Just do what the Customer pay's you to do!"
Believe it or not, it's a very simple business idea. I've been doing it for years and it pay's off quite well. It's a great time saver too.I don't waste time having to tap dance around low quality work.
I just don't get it.

Marty.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 AM
lavytho470
1st Gear

Default Master Tech Collision & Restoration Joliet

It happens sometime and we can't do anything. You not told what Michelangelo Charges to you.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

It truly does suck to get burned by any shop. I would do like was suggested and get a couple of estimates and take the guy to small claims court. If he did not do the job that was agreed upon for the agreed upon price than he is wrong. It sounds like the guy really messed up your car. I am in no way making excuses for the guy but 1300 to fit front and rear bumpers on a C-3, Paint the wheels, and rockers and then polish the whole car seem a bit low to me.

Last edited by persuader; 03-28-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You got burned but let this be a lesson to others on the forum. Not making excuses but sounds like this type of shop is not geared toward this type of work, somewhat custom resto. These old vettes are 30 plus years old and the assembly process at the times were not very good compared to today's standards. These type of body repairs need to go to a restoration type shop with experience working on old fiberglass.
I am doing my own body work and first tried the tru flex and they didn't fit at all. Ended up selling and getting fiberglass covers from ACI.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DunskisC3
HI Guys,
Thanks for the reply's and support! Everyone has been great since I joined CF.
JBaron, Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into that shop.

10, you asked how much I paid. Here is the run down.

I paid $1,300 for removal of front cover (I removed rear), mounting of both front and rear covers, and paint of covers, rims, and rocker panels. The rims and rockers were pre prepped so it was spray only. Separately I bought the Tru-Flex Covers and associated hardware.
Also as part of the deal Master Tech was going to buff the entire car (which he didnt do). Yesterday I washed the car for the first time since her return. The car had a haze of paint overspray all over it which felt like fine sandpaper.

I am not certain if the price would have been fair if the job were done right, but it seemed fair at the time. I probably should have sought advice from other members prior to getting the work done.

This project is new for me so it is still kind of like feeling my way around in the dark, and I just stubbed my toe.

$1300 is a little cheap for that amount of work. He probably realized it after he started the job and wanted to do it as fast and cheaply as he could. The materials to do the job are about $250 to $300. Then the labor. Where I live they get at least $100 an hour, that job is more than 10 hours to do all that.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

This thread is nearly 4 years old..hopefully the shop is out of business by now.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
This thread is nearly 4 years old..hopefully the shop is out of business by now.

I didn't even notice. Why bring a thread like this back to life. I could understand a tech article.

Get notified of new replies

To Master Tech Collision & Restoration Joliet IL Review of Caution

Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

ooops!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
It was the first post for the member who brought it back from the past.?
And the post was made at 3 a.m.?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by lavytho470
It happens sometime and we can't do anything. You not told what Michelangelo Charges to you.
Unclear reply to a 4 year old post and a reference to a locksmith company?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Master Tech Collision & Restoration Joliet IL Review of Caution