Sponsored by:

Crate engine delivery info

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Crate engine delivery info

As I understand it, it comes on a skid and you get delivered off a "lift gate." I gotta get this into my backyard. Do you get any help from the truck driver? I mean, does he have a pallet jack? Way I figure it, I'll need a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood and a pallet jack. I assume they can drop off in your driveway? thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
KSM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
As I understand it, it comes on a skid and you get delivered off a "lift gate." I gotta get this into my backyard. Do you get any help from the truck driver? I mean, does he have a pallet jack? Way I figure it, I'll need a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood and a pallet jack. I assume they can drop off in your driveway? thanks
The last engine I took delivery on.....he could only drop it in the street(the Co would not allow him the drive on a home driveway). Anyway he had a pallet jack and brought it up the drive, to my garage(level drive though)

I have had to pick them up off the street.......I just used my engine puller....it has wheels.....it's a little of a pia because it swing as you pull it but I just keep the engine low/close to the ground.....no problem.

I guess you are using the ply as a base over the dirt? the wells on my engine puller would need the ply to roll over grass. Weather he will go over your ply with his jack is some will some won't......if no is the answer, you need a back up plan like drop it in your garage and deal with it later. Sometimes a $20 cash can change his mind.

Hope this helps

Last edited by KSM; 08-24-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KSM
I guess you are using the ply as a base over the dirt? the wells on my engine puller would need the ply to roll over grass. Weather he will go over your ply with his jack is some will some won't......if no is the answer, you need a back up plan like drop it in your garage and deal with it later. Sometimes a $20 cash can change his mind.

Hope this helps
Yes, I need this thing to go over dirt (grass). I think I''ll go to an equipment rental place today and see about pallet jacks. It's gotta be pretty cheap to rent one for a day.

thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a steel flatbed or garden wagon with inflatable tires you can buy at Menard's for $100 to placed it on. Then you could pull it across the lawn. It might be a good idea to have someone handy to help stabilize it. Then you still have the wagon for gardening.

A pallet jack is going to be hard to get across dirt and grass.

Last edited by builder; 08-24-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Hogwild
Drifting

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
yes he has a pallet jack and the driver helped me put it in my shop and uncrate it to look for damage ,
it was a new zz4 from g.m through summitt .
be extra careful if you find extra parts mine came with two water pumps . guess why .
the one on the engine had the pully holes stripped .

more of that good old goverment motors uaw crapmanship

typical white person

Last edited by Hogwild; 08-24-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogwild

typical white person
huh?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by builder
How about a steel flatbed or garden wagon with inflatable tires you can buy at Menard's for $100 to placed it on. Then you could pull it across the lawn. It might be a good idea to have someone handy to help stabilize it. Then you still have the wagon for gardening.

A pallet jack is going to be hard to get across dirt and grass.
I think I only paid 70 bucks for the one I bought at Lowes. I even strapped my 88' Chevy pickup truck box to it when I restored it. I don't think you're going to get a typical pallet jack to roll on grass/dirt. I had my create engine delivered to my work place than used the Company fork lift to load it in my pickup. At home, I used the cherry picker to move it to my garage.

Gary
Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My delivery we on the street in front of my house. Driver said insurance would not let him help me in any way. So, I used a sheet of plywood and a hand truck from Lowe's. Delivery weight was 501 pounds and I had to move it about 175 feet!
I just kept moving the sheet of plywood.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info guys on the pallet jack probably being not a good idea. I will check out the wagon with wheels idea from Loews or maybe Home Depot since I don't have a Loews real close by. I can't believe you moved a motor on a hand truck .

Thanks, Fred
Old 08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
sturgeongeneral
Advanced

I have used an engine hoist, one time they had a forklift on the truck and put it where I wanted, or you can beef up a furniture dolly. There are also industrial equipment dollys that you can rent. Good luck and be safe!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This holds 1000 lbs and it cheap.
http://www.harborfreight.com/homepag...lly-93888.html
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a couple of those mover's dollies. I use them to store my JD snow blower and dozer blade in my shop so I can move them around. Never tried moving a V8 engine with one but I don't see why not, as long as it's a hard smooth surface.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 PM
sturgeongeneral
Advanced

I have used them for a 350. They will work if you attatch plywood across it.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my 383 short block, it was shipped in a 55 gal drum wrapped in carpet padding and carpet. I don't know if a complete engine could be shipped this way, but packaged this way it was easy on to my pickup at the freight terminal using a barrel jack, and easy off at my house with the help of one other guy.

Easy to tell if there was any shipping damage when taking delivery. No holes in the drum from the forklifts, then the contents should be ok.

Dropped the drum on to the lawn, with some padding, rolled the drum into the garage, removed the drum lid and slid the short block out.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Hey , I got one of those "furniture" dollies. On another note, I went to the tool rental place yesterday and the guy there suggested ( as said by Richard above) a hand truck. He's got one there that has a 1000 lb capacity and a strap. Looks like one way or the other, I'm now set. Thanks for all the info guys. .

ps. Richard, I sent you a PM
Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

if the delivery address has already been submitted, then I'm too late with this suggestion:
Find your nearest freight dealer, i.e.; Lumber yard, air conditioning supply house, brick yard, etc , ask if they will take delivery. Being a friend of one of these is a major plus. They will usually do it for free and load it in your truck . Did this on a few crates my ownself.
If you get it delivered in yor front yard, get help. My wife is not considered "help" for this kind of occasion. ask me why.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikejpss
i
If you get it delivered in yor front yard, get help. My wife is not considered "help" for this kind of occasion. ask me why.
Uh...Why?

Get notified of new replies

To Crate engine delivery info

Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikejpss
if the delivery address has already been submitted, then I'm too late with this suggestion:
Find your nearest freight dealer...........,
Thanks for that bit of info but I think the "best bet" for me is the furniture dolly idea. One reason is that I already have one.
2nd - I think after I get it strapped on, it would be easy to get my assistant (my wife ), to help me push it into the backyard - after laying down a couple sheets of plywood. If that doesn't work, I have a fat *ss neighbor that could provide some more umph.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

TWINRAY ... How did the dolly work?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Didn't get delivery yet - will let you know

Quick Reply: Crate engine delivery info