Sponsored by:

Do you ever feel like this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I'm 56 and have owned several interesting cars over the years from a '57 Imperial convertible (you would be surprised how good and cheaply the old hemi ran), 1948 Pontiac Silver Streak 8 with HydraMatic (drove it through college in the '70's), "61 Thunderbird (I still ask myself why?), several elCaminos (64, 75 w\454), 80), '70 AMX w\Hurst package (daily driver and I sold it to get married in '79. I haven't forgiven her yet for that one), '78 Z\28 (ordered this one new), hopped-up '73 Vega GT (new also and when they were VERY hot to own), '78 Road Runner (such a waste of money...), my current daily driver '09 Charger R\T (subtly upgraded to enhance performance. Scary fast car), several Jeeps ('73, '78, '79, '02), '79 Dodge Little Red Express (tough, fast truck!), '68 Charger R\T 440 4 speed Super Track Pack (daily driver in the mid-'80's) and now my 1980 Corvette. The Corvette is the first car I've ever owned that I don't ever intend to sell. I may buy another, but I LOVE THIS CAR!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

What is it that you don't trust about your car? Has it had a long history of failures? If not, keep up on your PM and relax.

I bought our C-4 in August of 08, and in 2009 we wanted to take a long vacation - South Dakota, Yellowstone, Canadian Rockies. I did not know the car's maintenance history so I went through and either replaced, or had the Vette shop replace, a lot of things. Battery, serp belt, water pump, opti, (be glad you don't have one!) alternator, tires, and alignment. Probably a few other things. I reasoned I intend to keep the car a long time, sooner or later I'd replace many of them, and I'd rather do it now rather than after being stranded on the side of the road.

After doing everything I could think of, and having had the Vette shop look it over for anything obvious I missed, we put problems out of our mind and didn't let worrying interfere with the trip. Went 6600 miles in 3 weeks and loved every mile of it.

Point I'm making is they were made to be driven. Corollary, even brand new cars break down. There are no guarantees in cars or in life. If you love the '72, and have had it for so many years, it's kind of like a second wife to you. If it has not given you any reason to mistrust it, treat it to some TLC, tell it you love it, turn the key and put it in gear!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

yep, almost there, thinking about doing that (as opposed to been there/done that)

I am on record as saying I am one major repair away from selling my 68. But if I sell the 68 I won't be buying a new vette; that just is not in the budget. A C5 maybe.

Meanwhile, I think me and the 68 have a few more good years left in us.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

This became a very interesting thread. Having both a C5 and C3, you get my .02:

1. Should you sell this C3, that will probably be it. You prob won't go thru the hassle of buying another, tinkering to get it right, etc. So, yes, this would be the end of your C3 relationship.

2. As somebody said on here, buy used. I suggest you look at a C5 from Car Max w extended warranty. My 01 TR Z51 C5 Vert is a tremendous car for the $$. You can pick one up for $22k or less. This way, you can keep both the C5 and C3. Do you want to take the huge hit on depreciation on a new C6 at 60 yrs. old?

3. I would add AAA Plus for 100 miles of peace of mind towing availability. It covers you for ALL your cars PLUS any other car that you may be riding in that breaks down.

Rickman
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you have someone (son?) that might like the car and could do the work for/with you? Maybe take it off your hands and keep it in the family and free you up to get another?

I think one day I will be trading in for a new one. The ride quality is just so much better and at some point that will win out. However, your end game is not to be working on it and a new one would certainly accomplish that. I know more than a few 60 year olds that went for a new one, automatic even.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
70_Shark
Racer

My wife is scared of my 'vette. She does not trust it and it's way too fast (my fault showing it off). I come in from the garage and pound a handful of Ibuprofen. It sucks getting old! An ZR1 C6 could alleviate the reliability problem, but I love my car.

Last edited by 70_Shark; 08-16-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HOOAH
Got to say that is pretty sexy!!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I'm now 65, and the only thing that keeps me from getting "old" is working my a$$ off on this old buggy. If I dumped it so that I could 'retire', I probably wouldn't get any exercise and would just waste away or get sent to 'the home'. This week I gutted my interior...again...[refurbed it 5 years ago] so that I could redye the front carpets, fix the broken lower-front retainers on the interior door panels, gin-up some little guides for the shoulder belts where they feed into the retractors (those little ba$tards always hang up in the retractor cogs--but not anymore!!). And then I disassembled and refinished the hood latch mechanisms and the hood support; then reassembled and installed them.

It's about 8:40 pm on Sunday now. I guess I can take a breather until tomorrow morning.
Really helps with the stretching, some days its sort like working-out
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
Don't sell the car. Buy a lift, a compressor and some decent air tools. I'm 63 and just got the lift last year. I think I can work on them for another 10 years because of the lift alone.
That's my plan.

Quick Reply: Do you ever feel like this?