C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This A Good or Bad Deal on a Good Condition 1979 With A Pretty New 383 Stroker????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an internally balanced Eagle forged 383 crank. My machinist said it'd be easier to buy a new forged stroker crank, versus tryin to find a decent 400 crank to work with. They don't call it a 383 crank tho, just a 3.75" stroke vs 3.48".

The CC XE268 is a fun cam, I estimate that mine makes 'bout 400hp at the crank. He doesn't mention heads, so I'd be concerned about the valvesprings and such matching with the cam.

No mention of torque converter - 3.08's with that cam, and a stock converter may not launch too well off the line.

As joewill mentioned earlier... keep cool. Be ready to walk away.
I am one of those that 'fell in love' and just had to have my 'vette. According to blue book #'s, I thought $9k wasn't bad. Turns out, in the Chicago area, I should've paid more like $6k.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
laytonkopplin
Racer

always check NADA valueand you should be in good shape
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by laytonkopplin
ok I bought a 75 vette for 5500.00 with a good 383 stoker all I did was a paint job and now it looks great
Quit bragging!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
That 2 qt. oil pan has me a little concerned.
yea. And the guy lists spark plugs, new boots, etc.

He's delineating things line by line to make it look like a big list. I'd be asking what kind of pistons are in it to see if he knows anything about the motor.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
yea. And the guy lists spark plugs, new boots, etc.

He's delineating things line by line to make it look like a big list. I'd be asking what kind of pistons are in it to see if he knows anything about the motor.
I see that a lot now days...some of you will recall the bad luck I had with the shop shadetreeing and bubbaing the 383 in my car,
He down played things that were a mess by trying to brag about things he did do like used "Accel" plugs or added "free" plug wire holders ( that had fallen apart by the time I picked the car up )

I haven't seen pictures of this theads car but my guess is it is still something of a project and he is trying to pass it as a near show queen,

Tons of important and costly items have not been mentioned,
Seems a start would be a big sheet for the engine, who built it and what all parts and machine work was used,

With the economy what it is a very sweet 79 can be had for less...
Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 AM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TERRY CLARK
Pictures ! !
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1848142213.html
Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM
laytonkopplin
Racer

I dunno man I would have to see it in person to think its worth that much... the car looks nice but there are some things I would have to ask like why did he keep the stock air cleaner if he did all those mods to it? And why he doesn't have a heat shield over his Distributor? remember 383 storker kit produce more heat due to boring it out .030 over.And what brand is the Distributor? for the price his asking I think his alittle high but its truely up to you and if YOU like it. Another thing
I would ask does the starter have a heat sheild and if so what kind? there are two kind one is metal and the other kind is like foil covered insluation.Best thing is to just get down there and look. Its located under the passanger side. if you go to see it test drive it for 30 minutes and when you get back to his house leave it running for another 15-2o minutes to see if it will over heat but then turn it off and then try starting it. This is to see if the starter gets heat soked. Also I read he has a dewitt rad which is great for cooling down that 383. gotta go see ya later!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
79...was the highest production year of all c3's so...then the car is modded....I would never pay that much for a 78-82 that eaither wasnt cherry or a better condition mod....

I only paid 6500.00 for my 69 convertible.
Really? how many years ago and what condition was it in? I'm sure if you choose to sell it and it is in the same condition as it was when you bought it I'm sure you wouldn't sell it for $6,500. You would want more because it is a 69 (that would be a contributing factor in setting your price) Is a 78-82 in your mind "beneath" the asking price because it is a 79?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Nealjr
Advanced

http://sanangelo.craigslist.org/cto/1833971566.html
Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess he kept the original air cleaner....as well as the original Rochester carb.....in an effort to try to maintain an original look under the hood...while darn near doubling the horsepower?!?!

I talked to the seller tonight and look forward to see it in person tomorrow.

Armed with the info that you guys have given me, such as the heat shield issue....starter soak test....and rear/cam/off the line issue.....I am going to put it through a thorough investigation prior to purchase.

I am also taking Solomon's advise about having many advisors and taking a very sharp corvette/car guy with me. Prior C3 owner and body shop owner as well as current 383 Stroker owner. Real "gear head" and friend. He already steered me away from multiple prior vettes that looked like sweet deals to me.....so I will benefit from wise council on-site in addition to the wise council I have received here.

If it's a winner.....I'll be upgrading my membership here so that I can post pics of my new to me C3 and be more than another forum tire kicker...

24 hours will tell...........

Last edited by Rollochrome; 07-31-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 AM
laytonkopplin
Racer

can't wait for the big news!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Rollochrome
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by laytonkopplin
can't wait for the big news!
END THREAD....

I bought the car and posted pics here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...3-stroker.html

thanks

Quick Reply: Is This A Good or Bad Deal on a Good Condition 1979 With A Pretty New 383 Stroker????