Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Corvette Wave Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a dealer in Alabama that taught corvette owners to wave to other corvettes when they bought their cars. Just a standard wave.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:11 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

In my experience, The Wave predates Corvettes! I owned a Jaguar sports car in the early 60's - yeah, I know there were Corvettes then, but the fact was almost all sports cars drivers waved or flashed their headlights to other sports car. It didn't matter if you drove an MG, you got waves from Mercedes and Jaguars, and so forth. Headlight flashing was popular with makes that were easy to do that, like the new Corvettes where you pull back on the turn signal lever.

Unfortunately the guys who say C5s and C6s don't often wave are often right. When I drive either of my Corvettes, '69 and '07, I try to always wave to any other Corvette (ignore them foreigners nowadays). Drivers of the newer cars seem to not wave as much back, especially if I'm in my C3. But, as said earlier, many of those drivers are in their first Corvette and they don't know the history of the brand, let alone the wave tradition. I'll bet many of them don't know who Zora Arkus-Duntov was .

Bottom line for me - whichever Corvette I'm driving, if I see you in a Corvette, I'm going to wave at you. When I'm in my C6 I often flash the headlights because if the window is up, it's much quicker to flash the headlights than get the window down and get my arm out there to wave. The point is to acknowledge the other Corvette.

Pete
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Arcticshark
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, just wave.
Who cares if they wave back, you did your part.

Save the wave!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by PKguitar
I wave to other Corvettes of all generations, muscle cars, cool looking classics, foreign roadsters, and the occasional mini-van just to keep 'em guessing. Living in NJ, lots of drivers wave at me in such a way as to tell me "I'm number 1!", I really enjoy that. Sometimes I pull up next to another driver on the highway and start screaming "PULL OVER!!!! PULL OVER!!!! with a panicked look on my face and waving my arms wildly. When they pull onto the shoulder and stop, I just keep going.
That's funny! I wave to all Vettes and like PK also to alot of older muscle cars. I even tried to start a Chevy Prizm fad by waving at other Prizms but they just looked at me like they thought they should know me (but didn't). I gave up. Now I just stick to waving when in the Vette.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Raytonium
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
. . . Drivers of the newer cars seem to not wave as much back, especially if I'm in my C3 . . .
Maybe some of those drivers don't know that a C3 is a Corvette. I don't know which would be worse, to be that clueless or to not wave back out of snobishness!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM
vettes4evr
Racer

Originally Posted by 75+78 Corvettes
There was a dealer in Alabama that taught corvette owners to wave to other corvettes when they bought their cars. Just a standard wave.
I would have checked the window sticker for an additional charge for that.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont even have my car back yet but once i start driving it i will always wave at all 'vettes and other muscle cars too. I already do that when im on bike, foot, or tractor! I new hope i saw a convertible '73 and i waved and said nice car and he waved and said thanks back, and just the other day i was mowing the lawn when a 2nd gen firbird trans am went by and i waved and the driver waved back. Both of these instances were great!

Will
Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Arcticshark
Guys, just wave.
Who cares if they wave back, you did your part.

Save the wave!
Uh ....... yep!
I NEVER fail to wave. Pay it forward to all Corvettes.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I didn't realize that I was in the C3 forum.
I just saw the topic in a search and chimed in. I don't think it really matters though. All Corvettes are

I didn’t have the time to read most of this topic, so I may be repeating something somebody else said. Sorry if that’s the case.
I can’t do the hand off the steering wheel thing. My rear glass is limo tint. From the front you can’t see in the car. I extend my hand out the window. I see a lot of older guys (sorry older guys)that don’t even notice the wave. I think a lot of them just got one because they like the way they look and finally have enough $ to buy one. They aren’t maniacs that belong to forums because we have a passion for the cars.
Does anybody else notice this kind of thing or is it just me?

Last edited by StevieB; 07-21-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieB
I didn't realize that I was in the C3 forum.
I just saw the topic in a search and chimed in. I don't think it really matters though. All Corvettes are

I didn’t have the time to read most of this topic, so I may be repeating something somebody else said. Sorry if that’s the case.
I can’t do the hand off the steering wheel thing. My rear glass is limo tint. From the front you can’t see in the car. I extend my hand out the window. I see a lot of older guys (sorry older guys)that don’t even notice the wave. I think a lot of them just got one because they like the way they look and finally have enough $ to buy one. They aren’t maniacs that belong to forums because we have a passion for the cars.
Does anybody else notice this kind of thing or is it just me?
I think your right. I wave at everbody but one guy. He is the local owner of the big strip club in town. We are a very conservative community and I am sure he is treated like a leper, so he acts like an *** to everyone else. But everyone else waves, its not until the older C6 owners are parked that they act like my C3 is beneath them and won't give me more than a passing glance. Oh well, to each thier own. I like thier cars they should act like they like mine! LOL By the way, Beautiful car you have!!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

“By the way, Beautiful car you have!!!!”

Thank you and may I return the complement. I checked out your pictures.

I think this is really a C6 forum thing. A C3 owner has more passion. You guys for the most part, I would say, have to seek one out and know what you are looking for.
The C6 guy sees a few on the street, and walks into a dealer to get a closer look. He drives it around the block, likes the steering wheel, automatic shift ****, the “peppy” acceleration and carpeting and buys one.

BTW, I'm one of those "OLD GUYS"

I'm 53, except for the fact that I always say "I'm the most rockin 53 year old on the planet." I've been saying that since I turned 40.
I really do look the same as when i was in my mid 20s.
The only difference is the saging face, grey hair, pot belly and all of my joints are starting to hurt when i get out of bed.

Last edited by StevieB; 07-21-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Bow-Tie Guy
Intermediate

You hit it right on the nailhead. I think a very big majority of C5 & C6 owners just had a whim to buy a "cool" car, especially since they are the "latest and greatest" models. By the shear fact that there are less and less "driveable" C1-C3 on the road means that those owners REALLY wanted that vette. This would mean that they are more serious about ownership and all that it might entail.

I'm certainly not knocking the C5-C6 owners as a whole. (Heck, I own a C5 along with my two C3s, so I'm in both categories - and I wave no matter what...) But I think that the rarer/older a vette model becomes, the more serious the owner is about all that goes with ownership. That may mean that they actually research everything Corvette, from trying to understand how to get the darn clock working to acknowledging a fellow owner and wave protocol.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

I have been into high performance cars my entire life. I started with a 69 Charger 426 Hemi W/ a 456 rear end. It had headers and glass packs, no more exhaust. Remember glass packs? It’s like a lifetime ago. I was 17 years old when I started driving these cars. Back then people actually knew what a hemi was. Then I got a 70 Challenger 440 Magnum. These cars didn’t have any of the safety controls modern cars do. I think traction control was it. A STOP PEDAL AND A GO PEDAL. I had a few Trans/AM thrown into the mix as time went on and then The Corvette.

I was around 11 or 12 years old when I saw my first new Corvette up close at a dealership.
It was a gold (I even remember the color) 68. It was love at first sight!!!
The only problem is that at 11 you aren't allowed to drive and the astronomic price of around $4,500 I think was simply unreachable for the rest of my life. I would always look in the news paper after that to see what the used ones were going for. My very supportive brother said “You’re never going to be able to afford one of those. Why are you wasting your time even looking?” I ended up with a 75 when I was around 20. It was a cool car, except the power had been robbed with all of that emissions crap added. I couldn’t even get a chirp from those huge factory tires at full throttle. Unfortunately the problem was that it had no power. I loved the way those big fenders looked from the cockpit. It was still a Corvette, had no power, but I loved it anyway. The Same love at first sight was the 1997 C5. My wife and I would look at the cost and it was WAY too high. Things change and I got a used 1998 in 2002. It had only 6,000 miles and was in virtually new condition. I still love it like I did when I first bought it. People sometimes ask me if I’m going to update to something else. My standard reply is “I’ll get rid of it when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Last edited by StevieB; 07-21-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Alex/plus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually i'm picking my nose so I just wiggle my little pinkie !!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGG-73
Steve......some day's you just crack me up.....today is one of them!

I needed a good laugh.....as I have been taking it on the chin pretty hard here of late!

All the best!

Stay in tune....
Originally Posted by Lon Wayne
I agree I just spit pepsi thru my nose .Now thats funny I dont care who you are .

Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I wave to ALL Vettes & Vette owners, even VB & Gregg-73!!

Occasionally I will even wave to LS1 Camaros & Firebirds, but NEVER a Mustang. I still believe that all Rustangs want to be Corvettes when they grow up,

Rickman
Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe those c6 guys are concentrating on their tops not flying off, You know its hard to spot another vette and wave and hold your top on too while going down the road at 60 MPH

Get notified of new replies

To Proper Corvette Wave Etiquette

Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wave at all corvettes,usually they get me first,im busy shifting and in between gears.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

I was thinking that people here may believe these nasty lines were actually something I was saying and meant.

I know you guys are pretty savvy, and I hope this disclaimer isn't taken as an insulting statement. Whatever the case may be, when i saw the movie I loved that part. It’s actually based on a true story.
I had no idea; he has won so many awards
That is if you consider the Razzie Awards and a bunch of other stuff you never heard of.

Joe Pesci; Goodfellas.

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f***ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) was actually placed into a protective relocation program for his testimony in organized crime.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 PM
CoolShark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I hate to admit it, but there is some truth in the C5-C6 prejudice. Although I have a buddie with a C-6 Z06 who will almost kill himself to make sure he waves (but also has a C-1 as well) and have had a number of return waves but the newer Vettes, more non-returns come from the later ones. Point in fact: this morning I was in my '63 and pulled off to the side of the road to make a call when I saw a C-5 coming up. I waved, but nothing. Not even a flash of the lights. I suppose he thought I broke down and was looking for help. Hate to say it, but I thought, "You won't wave back, but my car's worth more than yours, a**hole."

Quick Reply: Proper Corvette Wave Etiquette