Sponsored by:

Modernizing a C3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM
96lt4cevette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modernizing a C3?

Best Line Up front: Can you "modernize" a 1978-79 C3 rolling chassis with a crate LS6 drivetrain and after market suspension?

So, I no longer own my 1979 L82, or my 1996 Collectors Edition. I am, for the moment, Corvette-less, and stuck in SUV land. Its a dark, and dismal existance.

I want a C3 I can drive, not daily, but at least 2-3 times a week, on weekends, and at an occasional autocross and perhaps yearly track day.

Facts:
* My wife and I love the late C3s, and WILL buy another.
* I HATE H8 HATE!!! carburators, and trying to maintain street legal vehicles with miles of rotting rubber vaccume hoses.
* I have built triple-threat cars before (street, autocross, track) by myself including a 1979 L82, a 1996 CE LT4, a 1993 Miata, a 1996 Honda Del Sol, and a 1979 RX7.

Questions:
How much custom fab would be required?
What other considerations such as weight distrubution, driveability, fit and finish do I need to think about?
Got any articles, experiences, know anyone who has done it?

Thanks in advance brothers.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4cevette
Best Line Up front: Can you "modernize" a 1978-79 C3 rolling chassis with a crate LS6 drivetrain and after market suspension?

So, I no longer own my 1979 L82, or my 1996 Collectors Edition. I am, for the moment, Corvette-less, and stuck in SUV land. Its a dark, and dismal existance.

I want a C3 I can drive, not daily, but at least 2-3 times a week, on weekends, and at an occasional autocross and perhaps yearly track day.

Facts:
* My wife and I love the late C3s, and WILL buy another.
* I HATE H8 HATE!!! carburators, and trying to maintain street legal vehicles with miles of rotting rubber vaccume hoses.
* I have built triple-threat cars before (street, autocross, track) by myself including a 1979 L82, a 1996 CE LT4, a 1993 Miata, a 1996 Honda Del Sol, and a 1979 RX7.

Questions:
What other considerations such as weight distrubution, driveability, fit and finish do I need to think about?

Thanks in advance brothers.
Start reading the LS swap thread in the Tech section stickies. That will give you an idea of what is involved in the LS engine swap. Chassis upgrades are a different topic. If you do a search you will find many threads on suspension, brake and steering upgrades.

Rick B.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I want a C3 I can drive, not daily, but at least 2-3 times a week, on weekends, and at an occasional autocross and perhaps yearly track day...
You can do all that without having to "modernize" anything.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a complete one-of-a-kind Turn-Key package with only 1300 miles on it since finished?

FrankenSport Build

I've toyed with the idea of selling mine. I took it to work three days last week and enjoy it but other priorities have surfaced.

PM me if interested. If not, I would still be happy to answer any specific questions.

Joe..

Last edited by 78Vette-SA; 07-06-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

the frankensport would be the perfect answer. What kind of money would You be looking for for that? I would love that set-up on a 69 vert.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
96lt4cevette
Intermediate

I gotta say... Thats pretty much the sexiest damn thing I've ever seen...

(dont tell my wife that though)
Old 07-06-2010, 05:56 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good Lord....what would THAT beast sell for.....I couldn't imagine...
:coo l::c ool: :coo l:
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Not trying to elbow into 78Vette-SA's gig here.

Check out Street Shop's frame & engine options. Have seen their work, its "modernized" where it counts.

http://www.streetshopinc.com/
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not my gig. Just offering an option.

StreetShop (your neighbor) makes a great chassis and you can bolt in C4 suspension and an LS6/A4 or 6spd Drivetrain.

To address some of the OP questions:

Questions:

Depending on route you go, anywhere from none to major. You can modify your chassis to accept C4 or go with something like the StreetShop chassis and require no modifications. The SRIII Chassis and some others require a mod to the rear storage area.

If you can consider things like Brake lines, Fuel System, and some electronics custom fab, then an aftermarket chassis will require some level. Any LS engine will require a Fuel System upgrade to an Electric EFI pump pushing about 58psi. There are companies such as RockValley that will sell you a drop in tank or many here such as Rick - 72LS1Vette - did a great job modding their own fuel system.

What other considerations such as weight distribution, driveability, fit and finish do I need to think about?

IMO Depends on what you what the end result to be. If you use aluminum suspension components, coilover shocks, aluminum rear and halfshafts, aluminum driveshaft, etc. etc. you can lighten it a lot. Mine fully loaded is 3120 with a tank of gas and the SRIII chassis is a little heavier then stock.

As far as driveability goes depending on how you set it up it can be fully adjustable. With adjustable coilover shocks and changing sway bars you can tailor the ride to anyway you like it.

There are many threads here (as well as the sticky at the top of the C3 Tech as mentioned) about members who have done conversions or just turned their little C3 into their own beast. So it really comes down to what you want the end result to be and how much you want to spend to get there.

Joe..

Last edited by 78Vette-SA; 07-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have driven a few miles in one of the nicest C2 Resto mods here on the forum. 1coolC2 (who happens to be my brother in law) has a 67 resto mod on a SRIII chassis with a LS7 and 6 speed. It has more mods then there is room to write here but I can tell you this is the way to go. This car has around 620 flywheel HP and is one of the nicest driving cars I have driven. When you get into the loud pedal hold on and you had better be ready for it to pin your a$$ to well over the legal speed limit. It will burn rubber into the triple digits but remain stable. Money? Yes it is a few $$$ to build one of these but there is nothing like it as said above. The WOW factor alone is worth it but the giggle grin while driving it awsome. If you have to coin build resto mod with a full tilt LS motor this is the way to go. It is very driveable and has more power than you will now what to do with, if that is possible.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM
CFD E59
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

78Vett: That is one beuatiful ride. The color and stance sit perfect.Love it:thumb s:
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 AM
chiefbob
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

I will never be able to look under my 78 again after seeing your pics!

Ultimate WOW factor, indeed!

Bob

(was stationed at Stewart AFB from 66-68)
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I cannot imagine the amount of work that Joe did in building Frankensport That car is truly one of the nicest cars on all of Corvette Forum.

But......

Just finishing a "frame off" on a 67 MGB I couldn't bring myself to spend the time and coin to do a restomod like that, nor could I afford to pay someone to do it for me.

To the OP - take your wife to drive a C6. You'll be surprised at the performace, comfort, and roominess in it. No vacuum system to maintain either.

Just saying..........
Old 07-07-2010, 10:12 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,651 Posts

What's the budget? You couldn't buy a better car or get more car for your money if you buy Joe's FrankenSport. With that said if that's not what you're looking to do there are a few ways you could approach this. There are some very nice rubber bumper cars out there for around for 10K - 15K. You can buy something like that and do a modern frame with modern drive train swap or you could build a car that's about 7/10s of that by buying a take out LS1/T56 and bolting a VanSteel or VB&P suspension on your existing frame. We all would like to have a car that we feel is the ultimate in performance and handling. If we're realistic how many times will you actually drive it at 10/10s (and if you are driving it on the road at 10/10s I don't want to be sharing the road with you ). If you build something as nice as Joe's car you will spend over 100K unless you do a lot of work yourself. Plus there is the time factor involved with doing something like that. If you buy a "nice" car and convert it you can do it in stages and limit some of the down time. Depending on what you want to spend for a motor and whether or not you want to buy a frame I'm guessing you could build a very nice car that's lots of fun to drive for somewhere in the upper 20Ks to low 40Ks. By all means if money is no object build yourself a car like Joe's but you can still have a lot of fun on a smaller budget if you are realistic with your expectations and abilities if you spend your money wisely. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can "modernize" a stock C2-3 frame with plenty of aftermarket goodies. Mine has '79-82 seats, digital gauges, stereo w/iPod jack (but who cares really, with the Stahl headers and sidepipes), VB&P A arms and transverse spring, Steroids, Hydroboost, Koni Shocks, and LED tail lights. Still to come (before Carlisle?!!! Help Gordon...LOL) Guldstrand 5 link rear susp. Koni Adjustable shocks, alum halfshafts, and 5-speed. The motor will be last (next year...maybe).

Interior shot (not quite done)...

Don't look if you don't like carbs...

Shouldn't cost more than an average driver quality resto when finished and stock C4/5/6's shouldn't run away from it either.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
. Still to come (before Carlisle?!!! Help Gordon...LOL) Guldstrand 5 link rear susp. Koni Adjustable shocks, alum halfshafts, and 5-speed. The motor will be last (next year...maybe).
Did you ever get it running and off the lift?

My time has vanished. My car still is not done. I am building Davids motor right now and that has to be done before July 16th which will be no problem. I have another car to do some work on next week and another one after that. Nothing to much but it still takes time. I have had no time on weekends at all. Happy to help but summer is a tough time.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Did you ever get it running and off the lift?

My time has vanished. My car still is not done. I am building Davids motor right now and that has to be done before July 16th which will be no problem. I have another car to do some work on next week and another one after that. Nothing to much but it still takes time. I have had no time on weekends at all. Happy to help but summer is a tough time.
It runs, it just doesn't stop. I had to put things on hold until the end of the month, then full (5?) speed ahead. Its in the garage now.

Get notified of new replies

To Modernizing a C3?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Nealjr
Advanced

Default bump

I'm loving this post and drooled over the Frankensport. (Quick side note... How much is that thing going for?") Interested in hearing more ideas and advice.

I'm planning on tearing down my '78 to the frame and building it back up with more modern parts at my next base. Hoping to start next year sometime with a chunk of my reenlistment bonus.

I've had a SRIII frame with C5 suspension rolling around in my head all week to be honest. Considering purchasing one of the 408 strokers from T&L but I'm as of yet undecided if I want to stick with a carb or not.

My end goal is to have the sexiest car within 500 miles that I can drive daily if I want.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

My 0.02.

I've build and driven pretty much all available bolt on upgrade suspension set ups available for C3's. (Stock, coil overs in all corners, heavy springs, different sway bars, composite mono leaf set ups and even the guldstrand 5-link with coil overs) I have pretty good idea of what a good suspension should be like. Even though couple of my cars ride really well and handle good that are far from modern C6 type ride.

Next big project I will do will start with a Street Shop C6 chassis and that way I can use C6 Z06 drivetrain, brakes and suspension and there's plenty of good upgrades available for those too.

Starting with a C6 suspension will give you the most modern feel GM has to offer. It'll require a lot of floor surgery, but once it's there you still end up with a stock looking body from the out side, so it's a good for a sleeper style build too.

Once you have you chassis/suspension/brakes sorted. Just find a suitable LSX power plant and you are on the right path. Adding the just released LS9 supercharger kit on a LS3 will be a great motor with 650hp.

As for body, keep it stock appearing yet loose as much weight as reasonably possible, yet add some dynamat to keep the noise levels down. Forget traditional side pipes and add trick butterfly valved full exhaust, so you'll keep the car very quiet on low rpm's and all hell will break loose when you step on it.

Vintage Air AC kit and some discreet stereo will make sure your cockpit will always be a pleasant place to be. Get LED tail lights and HID's for the front with electric motor conversion.

And and and and...
Old 07-24-2010, 11:49 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Nealjr
I'm loving this post and drooled over the Frankensport. (Quick side note... How much is that thing going for?") Interested in hearing more ideas and advice.

I'm planning on tearing down my '78 to the frame and building it back up with more modern parts at my next base. Hoping to start next year sometime with a chunk of my reenlistment bonus.

I've had a SRIII frame with C5 suspension rolling around in my head all week to be honest. Considering purchasing one of the 408 strokers from T&L but I'm as of yet undecided if I want to stick with a carb or not.

My end goal is to have the sexiest car within 500 miles that I can drive daily if I want.
Sounds like you have a nice plan to start with. I would loose any thought about using old iron small or big blocks with the much improved suspension. LSX is the only way to go for reliability and power. I have Big Block with EFI pushing close to 600hp in one of my Vettes and similar power in a 434 small block in another and I would not hesitate to upgrade to LSX given the choice today.

Quick Reply: Modernizing a C3?