Sponsored by:

Aligned the bumperettes & grills. Much better. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ARACE
I'm in the same boat just haven't got around to it yet, but I was looking at it a few weeks ago and seems, the same thing, I need to bend the tabs some to lift the bumperettes up. Just curious, since I will be doing this too, but how did you bend the tabs? By hand or...?

Hey Glenn, any chance you could do me a favor and take an overhead shot of the front bumper? I'd appreciate it because i'm curious to see how much gap you have between body and bumper all the way across.

I can see from your pictures about how much vertical aligment of your front bumper to the body is, which is also what i'm having problems with, mine seems to hang a bit lower.

i've fought for a few hours, on different occassions, trying to get this all aligned but just walk away swearing in the end.

Thanks
The tabs can be bent by hand, except at the top 90 degree bend, but I also needed to tap the left side (driver side) lightly with a hammer to sideways get the bumperette closer to the grill. The tabs have elongated vertical holes, allowing the bumperettes to move up & down.
Is your bumper lower in relation to the body? The two center bolts that bolt to the horse shoe bracket allow up & down adjustment. The corners seem to not have much adjustment space, since the caged nut assembly in the bumper determines this gap.
Here's a couple pics of mine. I don't have a close up shot but can take one. The 2nd & 3rd pics are in my opinion, an exceptionally good fit. I can't figure how the corners fit so close to the body unless the caged nut assemblies were moved in a bit. My caged nuts are flush with the bumper edge.
Glenn

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GD70
The tabs can be bent by hand, except at the top 90 degree bend, but I also needed to tap the left side (driver side) lightly with a hammer to sideways get the bumperette closer to the grill. The tabs have elongated vertical holes, allowing the bumperettes to move up & down.
Is your bumper lower in relation to the body? The two center bolts that bolt to the horse shoe bracket allow up & down adjustment. The corners seem to not have much adjustment space, since the caged nut assembly in the bumper determines this gap.
Here's a couple pics of mine. I don't have a close up shot but can take one. The 2nd & 3rd pics are in my opinion, an exceptionally good fit. I can't figure how the corners fit so close to the body unless the caged nut assemblies were moved in a bit. My caged nuts are flush with the bumper edge.
Glenn
As you can see in this picture (best front shot I have atm) it's lowest in the middle, but I think it's a bit low all the way across, in relation to the body; I have it adjusted high as it will go and I kinda think the gap is a bit too much as well.

Also you can see how the bumperettes are sitting low as well.

Here's what it looked like before the restoration, and original from the factory....I have no idea how I got so dam far off after the resto.

My corners are actually good, just wondering, but is yours the original front bumper? Because I had an OEM repro that flared on the corners. Here's few pics:

Original

Reproduction

Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Priya
...I don't have an AIM...
Order the AIM. AIMs are worth their cost.

C3 metal bumpers do not mount to fiberglass. They mount through the body panels to steel brackets behind the fiberglass.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Order the AIM. AIMs are worth their cost.
I may do that.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
C3 metal bumpers do not mount to fiberglass. They mount through the body panels to steel brackets behind the fiberglass.

I assume the steel brackets then subsequently mount to the frame? I'm wondering if the steel bumpers are solely cosmetic or if they have some functionality.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

As you can see in this picture (best front shot I have atm) it's lowest in the middle, but I think it's a bit low all the way across, in relation to the body; I have it adjusted high as it will go and I kinda think the gap is a bit too much as well.

Also you can see how the bumperettes are sitting low as well.

Here's what it looked like before the restoration, and original from the factory....I have no idea how I got so dam far off after the resto.

My corners are actually good, just wondering, but is yours the original front bumper? Because I had an OEM repro that flared on the corners. Here's few pics:

Original

Reproduction

Yours looks pretty good to me. Loosen the bumperette bolts so you can raise them to align with the bottom chrome on your grills. You may need to add some shims at the bottom bolts between the bumperette & body to aid the alignment. I'm thinking the center bracket may also need some adjusting so you can raise the center more to your liking.
I have an original GM bumper, though don't know if it's original to the car.
Glenn
Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GD70
Yours looks pretty good to me. Loosen the bumperette bolts so you can raise them to align with the bottom chrome on your grills. You may need to add some shims at the bottom bolts between the bumperette & body to aid the alignment. I'm thinking the center bracket may also need some adjusting so you can raise the center more to your liking.
I have an original GM bumper, though don't know if it's original to the car.
Glenn
Yeah thats the thing, until I bend those tabs i'm up high as I can go at the moment. Which still boggles me how it got so off alignment after the restoration as I had the bumper/bumperettes stored away and never touched them. I'll keep that in mind about adding the shims on the bottom bolts when I try, yet again, to align this. Thanks for the idea, and thanks for the pictures of your front bumper, much appreciated.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Yeah thats the thing, until I bend those tabs i'm up high as I can go at the moment. Which still boggles me how it got so off alignment after the restoration as I had the bumper/bumperettes stored away and never touched them. I'll keep that in mind about adding the shims on the bottom bolts when I try, yet again, to align this. Thanks for the idea, and thanks for the pictures of your front bumper, much appreciated.
Sure thing! I wish my bumper was as tight to the body as yours. It looks great.
Glenn

Quick Reply: Aligned the bumperettes & grills. Much better. Pics