C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Antenna Timer: What Does It Do And Why Would I Want It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Power Antenna Timer: What Does It Do And Why Would I Want It?

Working on an install of an original Delco power antenna in my 79 (Thanks KapsSA!). The wiring harness from the radio to the relay has a gray-ish module of some sort, presumably a timer that waits for a few seconds after you shut off the car and then lowers the antenna. There is an extra power wire that is labeled "ignition".

Anyone have any experience with these? It is not shown in the AIM and I am planning on chopping it from the harness unless there is some neat unique feature/function that it performs.

Thoughts?

Thanks, steve

Last edited by Wuttin; 06-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My power antenna goes down right after I turn the car off (if I am listening to the radio). I would guess that it is a capacitor that gives the antenna power long enough to go down.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a bunch of those gray boxes laying around somewhere. Those were universal antenna kits with everything including new harness and coax. I just installed the antenna and wired it at the back fender.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Red_Shift
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your power wire that is labeled "ignition" your switched power wire such that the radio is only on when the ignition switch is in the run position? Everyone get that?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Shift
Is your power wire that is labeled "ignition" your switched power wire such that the radio is only on when the ignition switch is in the run position? Everyone get that?
Good question...you think it's maybe an override that controls radio power via ignition? That might actually be useful since my radio is wired directly to the battery which bypasses the quick disconnect...I have accidentally left it on once or twice. Makes more sense though that it is a delay timer of sorts...

Wish I had a pic...

Stock = orange to constant hot, yellow to radio antenna trigger, black to ground

With module = orange to constant hot, yellow to radio antenna trigger, red to ignition, black to ground.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,337 Posts

I have to admit, that I've wondered what the purpose of those "timers" were. A factory installed power antenna didn't use one, but all of the Delco replacement power antennas came with those timers. It looks identical to the orange interior courtesy light delay timer, except they are gray and the part number is different (2202009 on the gray ones, 463498 on the orange ones). I've never been able to find the 2202009 part number in any of my GM parts books, so I don't know what they referred to it as.

Did the car originally have a factory installed power antenna? With a factory power antenna, you had 3 wires coming off the antenna; green, gray & white. These 3 wires ran to the power antenna relay. If you had an OEM power antenna before, than you should be able to install the new antenna by just attaching the green, gray and white wires to the new antenna and reuse your old relay and wiring.

If the car never had a power antenna in it, I'm not so sure I would be to quick to eliminate the timer. With an OEM antenna, you had 3 wires coming from the relay. There was a black ground, yellow from the radio (hot with ignition or accessory on) and orange that ran to the courtesy light & clock 20 amp fuse (orange was hot always). With the Delco replacement antennas, there is an additional wire coming from the timer, red which goes to the ignition (and orange has an inline fuse added and is labeled for attachment to the battery). Because it has the additional red wire coming out of it for attaching to the ignition, I can't say that it is needed or not.

If your retrofitting a car without a power antenna, I can't see what harm it would do to leave it, obviously GM thought it was needed.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Wuttin do you have the instructions with the antenna kit , if not I'm sure I do in one of the boxes. I can look and see what they call the gray box and maybe from a diagram figure out what its for.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

If your radio is directly wired to the battery terminal maybe that delay module overrides it and lowers the antenna even if the radio is still on.
With the radio hooked to the batt terminal the antenna won't go down when you turn off the key as it would still be triggered if the radio is left on.

And even tho that module looks like the orange courtesy light timer it's different. There's less 'stuff' inside of it.

Wire it WITH the delay and see what it does before buttoning everything back up. You can always clip the wires and pull it out.
It's just the two wires that then get connected together and the additional ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Antenna Timer: What Does It Do And Why Would I Want It?

Quick Reply: Power Antenna Timer: What Does It Do And Why Would I Want It?