Sponsored by:

Weather stripping -- advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
LOTSARED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather stripping -- advice?

My '68 convertible still has all the original weatherstrip around the side windows. I've never replaced it because it seems like much of the aftermarket replacements are flimsy and will wear out quickly.

But my old stuff has gotten so non-pliable that it leaks in the rain, and wind noise is horrible.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding brands that you've had either good or bad experiences with. Will gladly pay more for product will fit/seal well and hold up. What brands are good vs bad?

Thanks-
Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Buy CRC (Corvette Rubber Co.) weather stripes from Willcox, they are the best in the market.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Corvettetodd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Corvette Rubber is the best there is.... other than NOS GM rubber
Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

You are partially correct in your assumptions. The best weatherstripping IMO is still NOS GM. If you can find it within your budget (that's the key) buy it. You'll pay more but you'll get a superior product. In the last couple years some good aftermarket stuff has come along and risen to the top of the heap, and heap is a good word to use because some aftermarket stuff is really awful, even though they all claim to meet or excee OEM specs. Many on this board tout Corvette Rubber. I picked up some rear side glass weatherstrip pieces and comparing to NOS they are VERY, VERY close in quality. I got them from a joint called SMART Corvette parts. Their door gaskets are also very supple and soft as well. A heck of a lot better than what I was seeing from the other catalog vendors. The weatherstripping that interfaces with the side windows is highly critical so you get a nice air and water tight seal. That includes the T-tops as well. I checked last year and T-Top gaskets were available from GM. I bought new T Tops from Melrose tops and the gaskets (which they claim are made special for them) are very soft.

Mark G
Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

CRC makes a nice product. You will not be disappointed.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

LOTSARED

We have the CRC weatherstrips as part of our current sale too.. They are CRC brand!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ring-sale.html

Willcox
Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

That is not as simple as it looks. Get 3M adhesive and new mounting screws. Use anti-seize. It works.

Sometimes those screws can be stubborn. Mine were OK, thank goodness. I know it does look like so but they came out easily.

Love a solid birdcage.

Last edited by Paul L; 05-30-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weather stripping -- advice?

Quick Reply: Weather stripping -- advice?