Sponsored by:

So why is it....

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 PM
sniperdiver37
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So why is it....

so I have been a member for a few years now and have rebuilt 2 C-3 and 1 C-4 to almost show condition or into a solid street car. I see thousands of forum members doing the same thing and countless parts supply places that carry Vett parts.
So why is it that whenever I/ we see Vetts for sale they are just beat to sh*t and need so much work. One might figure that with all the forum members doing what we do that all the Vetts would be nothing less then show cars? Just a thought....

And as we start this long weekend let us not forget what it is all about. Please take time to thank all who have served and gave thier lives and those who continue to do so. I make it a habbit to shake the hand of the older vets WWI, WWII, Korea... you can't miss them, they wear their Vet hats with pride. They are the founders of what our military is today. They served back when it was really hard.
US Army retired 81-05 11B, 18B CIB with a star.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by sniperdiver37
And as we start this long weekend let us not forget what it is all about. Please take time to thank all who have served and gave thier lives and those who continue to do so. I make it a habbit to shake the hand of the older vets WWI, WWII, Korea... you can't miss them, they wear their Vet hats with pride. They are the founders of what our military is today. They served back when it was really hard.
US Army retired 81-05 11B, 18B CIB with a star.

Thank you to all who are currently serving, have served as well as those that have supported the same. A simple thanx to all military affiliated members/vets is very much appreciated more than you could ever imagine especially to the Vets (as sniperdiver mentioned) who think or once thought they have been forgotten! You "all" are and always will be true HERO's in my book!

Hats off and a big salute to all of you servers as well as non-servers but supporters!!!!!

Terry (AKA HOOAH, US Army retired 1SG, Infantry)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

First off, I whole heartedly agree that our service men and women deserve our undying respect!

As far as the other topic, I think there are a lot of reasons. First, I don't think all of us have show-quality cars. I know for sure that I don't, and I have seen other C3s at meet ups, and generally they are nice drivers, but often short of show-car level. I would say that the overwhelming majority of owners on the C3 board WANT their car to be in better shape, and that like with everything else, the members cover the spectrums of abilities to work on their cars and amount of time they can spend on the car or cars.

Second, I think a lot of the junk cars stay on the market a long time, and come back to the market often. The real junk is generally avoided by those with even a modicum of experience with these cars, so they sit until someone new to Corvettes takes the plunge on it. But then, more often than not IMO, the new owner either gets frustrated with the car in the first year or three and puts it up for sale to pursue another hobby (unfortunate when that happens, and not good for our hobby in general), or learns what to avoid next time and puts it up for sale to move on to a better car.

Despite the "down economy" that everyone likes to blame for all kinds of things, good cars offered at reasonable prices sell in a matter of days.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 05-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Vampyre
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To our armed forces!

Topic...

Well with GM making about 30,000 Vettes a year, there are alot more Vettes then forums memebers, we can't fix them all.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Tom1701
Advanced

Well stated Sniper

As far the BTS Corvettes. I think everyone is keeping the nice ones.

Tom1701
Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM
snakeater
Advanced

never stop paying respect to these vets. Want to know what your freedom is worth? visit a veterans administration hospital. they can tell you exactly what it costs...........

3rd Bat. 75th Ranger regiment(LRSU) 5TH Grp SF ODA 18B,

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell, (attributed)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Something about vettes and vets. The ONLY TIME I have ever been personally thanked for my service was at a local show for the Sunshine Corvette Club, before I bought my vette. It was in a hangar at Kermit Weeks' Wings over Miami warbird museum and as we were entering, a fellow vet hollered out to the crowd "are there any veterans here?" My wife said to him "my husband is a veteran." He came over and shook my hand, asked me what branch and when, then thanked me and pinned an American flag on my shirt. I was overwhelmed. I am sure that Viet Nam era veterans know what I am talking about.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 AM
leskinner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I returned from Viet Nam in 1968, on my way to Miami by way of California, it was reccomended that we travel in civilian clothes so we wouldn't get spit upon or worse. I also have been thanked once for my service. My wife and I stopped at a Bob Evans restaurant for breakfast and struck up a conversation with the young gentleman that was our server. He said he had just signed up for the Marines and would report in a couple of weeks. My wife mentioned my service in Viet Nam...
The young man looked me straight in the eye, shook my hand, and said "thank you sir". My eyes still water up whenever I think about that.

Larry
Old 05-29-2010, 04:21 AM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

I agree with your post that we all must thank our living Vets and remember the ones who passed. Thank you and all forum members who have served or are currently serving - we appreciate your service to our country! Without you, we would all be speaking a different language or not here at all!

Re: junk 'Vettes - I think it's due to the large numbers produced overall and the fact that quite a few were beaten so badly - that no one wants to tackle them due to too much time and money to invest to get them up to par.

Last edited by JW3101; 05-29-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 AM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the nice vettes are spoken for and never really go on the market. My limited experience is that nice vettes get sold to freinds or relatives and never go to market.One person I know sold his nice 64vette to his son, a co-worker offered to buy my vette sight unseen, I won't sell;My stepson offered to buy my vette, I won't sell, I can't get enough to payoff my house, all I can do is buy another vette and restore it too. Worst case scenio, my wife blows the "vet" money on BS. I suspect that alot of nice vettes never go to market. The same co-worker told me of his freind who has three vets.Why does he have three, whenever one comes up for sale, he buys it.. A freind of mine buys and sells cars for a living, he spends his time buying up and searching the papers for "that once in a lifetime" deal that "we" miss because "we" are working. He once bought a super low mile vette "hidden" in a a garage three blocks from his home. When the economy and my finances recover, I would buy every decent c1,2 and three that ever crossed my path. One of my customers asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy his C5... my folks offered to sell me their 1980 (back in 85), I think the vettes on the market are the others, the orphans,the curbers,the patched restos...Look at the pictures of other forum members vettes, some are soperfect, if they came up for sale on the forum, they wouldn't last two seconds...We love our vets, if you're looking, look long and hard, and find a winner. I bought mine from a freind, it sat in his garage for years until he moved cross country, it's not going up for sale until I'm gone and my son decides to sell it.69 390hp convertable,4 speed...
Old 05-29-2010, 07:41 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To all are vets
Old 05-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Memorial Day is a time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrafice in the service for their country.

Veteran's Day is a time to honor those who served or are serving this fine country.

I am a veteran of the US Navy (83-03) and will pay respects to fallen comrades on Memorial Day.

Some people are under the delusion that since a prestine all original 15k mile BB convertible sold at auction for $150K (not a real number, just an example) that their worn out 150k mile driver small block coupe must be worth $25k at least. Afterall it is a Corvette.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goody

Some people are under the delusion that since a prestine all original 15k mile BB convertible sold at auction for $150K (not a real number, just an example) that their worn out 150k mile driver small block coupe must be worth $25k at least. Afterall it is a Corvette.

Oh he**, you mean my old beater is really a heap underneath all that shiny paint? Dayum.....

Also a Navy vet (65 to 69 so you know what Asian vacation spot I was in).

And also pay my respects to those past and present.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Ed_78Vette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

to all veterans.
USAF retired, 1981-2001, and I miss it!

Get notified of new replies

To So why is it....

Quick Reply: So why is it....