Sponsored by:

Vapor canister replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
VetteProject
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapor canister replacement

I bought a new vapor canister,filter,etc. I'm hoping for suggestions on the easiest way to replace it. I know its behind the driver wheel well. Should I remove the tire and the wheel well cover? If so, how does the cover come off? It looks like its never been removed before and I want to take care of the gas smell before installing the new interior.

Thank you for the help.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 AM
mzmgb
Racer

There is a splash panel, just behind the wheel well, under the body. You have to remove the lower trim to access the two attaching bolts. The other two bolts are in the wheel well.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM
turbo78vair
Instructor

Default Vacuum cannister

Removal steps as per the above post. However, in addition to replacing the canister, need to redo the attached hoses. Quite often they are cracked and contributing to the gas fumes. Also need to consider replacing the hoses at the fuel pump. I think they are often referred to as the 'S hoses'.

Take care - GaryC - '78PC - Franklin, IN
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM
VetteProject
Advanced

Thank you for your help. Removed the splash panel and pulled out the old canister. I'm waiting for a new hose kit to come in. The canister came with a diagram for hooking up the hoses but how can I tell which ports on the carb the other end of the hoses connect to? When I bought the car all of these hoses were disconnected within the engine compartment. I have a numbers matching 1978 L-48 that I believe still has the original rebuilt carb (but don't know for sure). I appreciate any help! Thanks, Frank
Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM
VetteProject
Advanced

Hi all:

Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm ready to re-install. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Replaced mine last winter.
Went in from the top. Removed; the windshield washer jug, 3 bolts removed from inside wheel well. The brake master cylinder removed from the brake booster. Once they are out of the way you can reach the vapor canister. Did a thread on it. Look it up. BTW, MY experiance turned out to be a nightmare because of the parts supplier, won't mention them EVER, sent me the wrong part (again).

As mentioned before, you might want to replace the fuel and vapor lines also. Just to be sure.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteProject
I bought a new vapor canister,filter,etc. I'm hoping for suggestions on the easiest way to replace it. I know its behind the driver wheel well. Should I remove the tire and the wheel well cover? If so, how does the cover come off? It looks like its never been removed before and I want to take care of the gas smell before installing the new interior.

Thank you for the help.
I replaced mine by removing the splash shield, connecting the hoses were a bit of pita but doable.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get notified of new replies

To Vapor canister replacement

Quick Reply: Vapor canister replacement