Sponsored by:

CA plate options for a '71

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA plate options for a '71

DMV was absolutely no help - the guy could barely speak english... So I thought I would ask you guys. What options do I have as far as plates for my '71 - does ca have "antique" plates - like the ones that say "antique" or "classic" on them? Or how about retro plates - the blue (I think) ones that were standard issue back then... help please!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 319 Likes on 270 Posts

I don't think we have an antique plate option here. There is a way of getting black plates (pre-blue) if your car is of the correct vintage, but I don't thing '71s qualify (nor does my '73 ).

I never really understood the black plate rules but did try to figure it out from their web site. Certainly more help than speaking to the folks at DMV. Sometimes AAA can help.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:48 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

ca switched to blue sometime before our vintages... that's why we can't get black. i think it was in 69 or 70, we just missed the boat. the guy at the dmv said that i could have my own plate made by any manufacturer, and then they could approve it but it would have to be the correct vintage of the car... ie a blue plate for a '71. sounds wierd to me though! the DMV approving a plate some dude on ebay made for me or whatever????
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
CoolShark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DMV sez:

5004.1. (a) (1) An owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.

Maybe you could claim your Vette was originally a pickup? After all, they were great for pick ups.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoolShark
The DMV sez:
Maybe you could claim your Vette was originally a pickup? After all, they were great for pick ups.

well it was a "P-WAGON" is that the same thing as a "P-UP"???
Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't believe the DMV, the YOM program is only for 1969 and earlier cars.

Here's one way to cheat and get a correct plate on your car.

California went from yellow on black to yellow on blue in 1970 starting with 000 AAA, so for 71 you will want to find a set around 3or 4 as the first character, then be sure to have them cleared by the DMV, that letter / number series cannot still be in the system.

Now here is where you get sneaky, go to DMV and order personal plates, using that letter number combo, when they arrive, put them away and install the yellow on blue ones, your registration will match, and nowhere does it say what color they are supposed to be.

That's the only way you can get era correct plates on a 71.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 319 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 427basketcase

California went from yellow on black to yellow on blue in 1970 starting with 000 AAA, so for 71 you will want to find a set around 3or 4 as the first character, then be sure to have them cleared by the DMV, that letter / number series cannot still be in the system.

Now here is where you get sneaky, go to DMV and order personal plates, using that letter number combo, when they arrive, put them away and install the yellow on blue ones, your registration will match, and nowhere does it say what color they are supposed to be.

That's actually pretty clever though by the same logic, nothing would stop you from getting a black plate.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 04-12-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

how would i go about clearing the number? i'd want to do that before i ordered the blue ones...
Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
CoolShark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personalized plates are accessible by computer at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/elp/elp.htm. Although you cannot find who owns them, you can find if they're taken.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen plates from this site and they were very nice. I'm planning on buying CA Blue/Yellow plates some day soon for my 1972.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/

Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Prior to the YOM program being extended to 69 model year cars, I had the same plan. The problem is that DMV will not issue a personalized plate with any number configuration that was priviously issued by the state. BTW, the blue plates changed on the last three letters and not on the numbers. They would issue 000 AAA through 999 AAA and then go to 000 AAB, and so on. The first digit doesn't have anything to do with the year of the car. They started issuing the yellow on blue plates in late 1969. I recall that, by April of 70, my new Fiat 124 was issued a plate with the last three of "BJG". By 71 they were probably well into the "G's" or "H's". My October 16, 1969 built 69 coupe is re-registered with a blue plate with "ABF" as the last three. I had to fight to get the DMV to let me use a blue plate under the YOM program, but I was able to talk them into it. They accepted that some 69 cars were issued blue plates at the end of the 69 model year, which is true. Their YOM forms state that only black background plates can be used on cars (trucks and commercial vehicles are allowed the blue plates), but that's because they didn't understand the actual history of the the issuance of the blue plates when the had the forms printed. State agency. Go figger.

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-12-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
... The problem is that DMV will not issue a personalized plate with any number configuration that was previously issued by the state.
I tried to get RED ZO6 for my Z. I was nicely told it is a "lookalike" to RED 206, although that sequence would have been yellow on black, and wouldn't issue the plate to me as blue on white, the current plate colors. I had to settle for this....

They started issuing the yellow on blue plates in late 1969. State agency. Go figger.
That's correct also. My late build '69 was first sold in Feb. 1970 and has yellow on blue plates. Still have 'em
Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
My late build '69 was first sold in Feb. 1970 and has yellow on blue plates. Still have 'em
nice! you could get some good money selling those plates to someone with a 69 435 hp "Badass"
Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

PeteZ06: Those are two sharp looking rides. I'll expect to see you rolling down the hill one of these days.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 PM
smallblock350
Advanced

In CA you can also get "historical" plates, as I did for my Packard, I think any car at least 25 years old qualifies, BUT you are not supposed to get these for a daily driver, there is some rule about only for parade or club meet use. (I'm sure this is never enforced however)
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
PeteZ06: Those are two sharp looking rides. I'll expect to see you rolling down the hill one of these days.
Thanks for the kind words. We get down the hill often, although not usually in either Corvette. They like to go uphill where the less trafficked, twisty roads are.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

As a few folks mentioned above, DMV will not issue a personal license plates if it belongs to their original sequence, but there are a lot of generic personal plates that are available for sale.
Like this one...

There is nothing illegal about trying to register a personal plate number that is no more in their system. Call DMV before bidding on the item to make sure that it is actually DMV clear.

Get notified of new replies

To CA plate options for a '71

Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 AM
RPOL68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CA Plates

You have one other little known option for California. If you have documentation of the original plate number and you can show your car is a "collector" car (and there is a DMV definition for that), you can have the original plates reassigned to back to that vehicle.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vi...09/09vin20.pdf

Be aware that the plates from licenseplates.tv are stamped aluminum and may not pass muster with DMV under the YOM program. The yellow on black plates are steel.

The reassignment program does not require you to have your plates inspected.

Last edited by RPOL68; 04-17-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
I've seen plates from this site and they were very nice. I'm planning on buying CA Blue/Yellow plates some day soon for my 1972.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/

Do you know if these are legal?
If you have original black plates on your car, are you allowed to replace them with a replica pair with the same numbers?
Or, if you have newer personalized plates, can you replace them with a replica pair with the period correct color scheme?

Last edited by rajsid; 04-16-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rajsid
Do you know if these are legal?
If you have original black plates on your car, are you allowed to replace them with a replica pair with the same numbers?
Or, if you have newer personalized plates, can you replace them with a replica pair with the period correct color scheme?
They will be if I put them on my car.

Quick Reply: CA plate options for a '71