Sponsored by:

intro & some pictures of the (slow) frame off resto

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick,
Let me know if you need to make more shipping arrangements. Happy to help. I have no trips planned in the near future, :-( I'm working on it though.
Scott
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Scott, I found the governor cap at CT powertrain components and they ship world wide
This might not be something very spectacular to alot og you guys but it was such a moral boost !! it seems like the car is 30% more finished : We got the door windows installed! Regarding the issue with the outer door seals in place : i loosened 2 of the 3 bolts of the slider so it could move around. Then tilted in the window and positioned the roller above the loose slider. Move the slider up and over the wheel, fix the two remaining bolts et voila . Alignment will be done when the windshield & a -pillar weatherstrip is installed but it's already not too bad. The only thing I think is weird are the rear anti rattle bumpers which are angled in relation to the glass hence only supporting the glass with a corner. As the slot in the sheet metal is oriented that way I suppose it's ok. I was so hyped that I actually tried to get the lower LH dash pad back in but failed lol think I'll need to be more zen for it.
Regards,
Nick

Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hi Nick
Nice job, I'm Jealous, I think my restoration is slower then yours.
I see what come out and it's motivating me to finish, now the Vette at the body shop, last Friday we glue the front clip.
Here you can see my restoration thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-pictures.html
Avner
Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dembo
Hey,

@Brent, it surely is dented towards the inside Guess I better change it over.
Has anyone ever replaced it with the tranny in the car ? I really don't feel like removing the transm.crossmember again (for the 4th time).Also does anyone know a online shop where I can buy it and have it shipped overseas? Coudn't find it at summit or jegs. If I need to go to a GM dealer it will take aaaaages.

@Zwede, again thanks for the input, I have read your thread and had it bookmarked incase I had issues. I'm not going to auto cross it so I hope with keeping the tank filled up above a certain level I won't have issues, otherwise I'll have to swap to a baffled tank.

Thanks,
Nick

Glad I could help! When you go to install the new cover, your supposed to only tap around the edges to get it seated fully. Don't tap the center of the cap, as that is how they usually get damaged.

Keep the pics coming!!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Got some 'little' things done

1) Installed the RH carpet with seat belt loop, seat belt, sill plate and seat belt cover. All threads are stripped out, except the seat belt ones (luckely) so all other hardware is fixed with stainless M8 bolts and a lock nut for the seat belt loop and seat, and stainless self threading screws for the cover. The gap between the carpet & cover is too narrow resulting in the belt slowely retracting. Whenever it retracts slow the next time you pull it out it goes into lock mode. So the cover was trimmed/bend a bit to create a larger gap.

2) Trimmed the RH kickpanel on the indicated lines to clear the vacuum actuator and installed it along with the Kenwood speaker. It's a very tight fit without having to cut the birdcage hole

3) Finally got the old mirror bracket off as one of the hook tabs was broken off so it didn't held up the mirror clip. (actually I had to bend and break it to gain access with pliers to the front screw as it was rusted fix in place. Installed the center liner and mirror as well. The thing dangling is the mic for the bluetooth phone.

4) Did a first test with the seats (yeah I know sacralidge too some, but I didn't have a choice. My original ones where completely rusted out due to storage, I cant weld and shipping two salvage yard ones will cost a fortune) It's a very tight fit left and right. When I measured them on the ground they weren't particularly higher then the old seats, guess I just forgot how cramped a C3 cabine is actually a tad claustrophobic.

Regards,
Nick
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

And ofcourse after sorting out the electrical issues (see my other thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...r-rebuild.html), the assembly can move foreward again. Well nothing special, but the front dash is now almost completely buttoned up with the stereo installed. I'm still very unhappy with the quality of the dash panels. Tweaking to : ok, hacking it up in pieces : NOT OK.
The center gauge cluster sags a bit on the LH side top corner but overall the fit & finish will not be worse then it came from the factory.
Some overall views

For those wondering about the intesity of the nevernight harness : I like it (warning dodgy camerawork with alot of shaking ...)

Regards,
Nick
Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The car is beautiful, the silver paint with the wheels - very nice. Any new progress?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
AeroDog
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Carolina raised but in Loveland CO for tha duration
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words They are really needed as sometimes it feels it's moving more backwards then foreward. For example on the photobucket site you can see a pic with the windshield installed but not the T bar and upper windshield chrome parts... you guessed it, windshield had to come out again (and broke) to get to the small screws. bummer
Alan, the paintshop is just across the border of Belgium & France. That guy made his fortune back in the days and put a large fully equiped shop in his backyard. His passion : US cars and helping out people he knows, so he did all the body work & painting. Last year when the car got it's coating he had a Viper GTS turbocharged, a 69 Camaro, a 71 body off restored Stingray, a 300C, a Hotrod (think it was a Ford), and some ongoing chop top projects
Work is preventing me from restoring the Vette for months now (my partner & me have a small design office http://www.vision-eng.be so being self employed the priorities are sometimes mixed up. Plan on taking 1 or 2 weeks off and sleep in the Vette garage
Nick
Simply outstanding. This is the way I should have done mine.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

You will love the Powerjection III. My dad and I installed one on his 1983 Hurst/Olds last fall and it was easy to setup and the car runs great now.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes there is progress but oh so slow.
Continued some work on the PJIII install. I did a first leak test when everything was connected and every swivel connection leaked, so did the Retrotek filter.
So out came the tank again to take off all the fuel lines. Ordered pre crimped ones from pegasus racing, they are teflon lined to avoid smelly fuel hoses after a while.
Strange thing is, at the rear it still smells like fuel. The vacuum canister line is connected to the frame from the tank & then to a canister at the front. Perhaps it's the rubber hose itself which still smells but I doubt it
Retrotek hoses which leaked in black, the new pegasus pre crimped ones are light grey

A fuel line comes from the sump out of the top of the tank

Runs along the crossmember to the fuel filter

Then from the fuel filter to the frame hardline

From frame line (I used Swadelok couplings on the line) to the throttle body

Installed the Fuel on demand module on the inside left fender

Routed the wiring as nice as possible. (pink connector is the tach signal for the PJ, done with Scotchlock Tee : very nice product to tap into something)

Installed the O2 sensor

Turned on contacted, and the fuel pump primes, after a few seconds it goes into pulse mode (fuel on demand) and have a pressure readout of 45psi so I guess & hope that's functioning like it is supposed to.

Installed the Corvette Central tight tuck headers and exhaust pipes. I didn't have real fitment issues, can't tell if I have leaks yet.
View from rear without mufflers. I did use those wide clamps instead of the U clamps which came with the kit

View with mufflers

I don't have the hanger underneath the transmission anymore so I used clamps and a rubber with bracket bolted to the strud rod bracket. Used heat shields (thermo tec) on the exhaust pipe just underneath the composite spring

Underneath the floor pan, near where the factory installed the headshields I also added longer heat shields (thermo tec)

View on driver side header

One point of critique I have is the available space between the header and the chassis to engine ground wire. It's very close so I added a heat shield

While I was at it, also installed the spare tire carrier upper cover

Thought the rear was a bit to plain so added the emblem I like most

Used someone's idea to use a threaded rod with locknuts to keep the steering column lock arm in the upward position

Replaced the governor cover (what a pain)

With this hammering tool, not perfect but got it in without lowering the transmission

Removed the jackstands and placed the car on some wooden blocks to check the stance. This is about as low as I can get it. 10" bolts will be too long

Not much thread left on the 8" bolts ... Driveshafts are close but not horizontal as you can see on previous pictures. After reading the issues with uneven ride hight I guess I'm lucky. Without driver there's about 4 millimeter difference between the left and right side!

Nothing interesting, but sometimes you need a moral boost by doing something simple

Had carglass over to install the windshield and the rear window. Very nice job!
Pilkington glass with lower black fritt & upper sunscreen banner in blue. (yeah, I can't get the gap between the A-post trim and upper dash any smaller).

Just makes it look a little more finished

Hand painted fritt prarallel to the the A posts and a foam

Rear window

Which allowed me to install the wiper mechanism. Is it normal for the passenger side arm to tilt ? You can actuall turn it up and down even when it's tightened to the wiper arm ball?

The replacement wipers will not clear the hood, so Trico exact fit blades are on their way. (14$ for the blades ... 35$ for shipping)

And continued to fit the moldings around the windshield frame. Probably the sun visors are in the wrong way, but if swapped over they hit the mirror.

And this is how I left her for tonight
Regards,
nick

Last edited by dembo; 03-31-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Fantastic job on the car! It looks like you should have it on the road pretty soon.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Default I think it's nearly ready

to have it picked up by the shop for final tuning, technical inspection, headlight adjustment, alignment etc. I was hoping to put it in gear for the first time in 6 years but unfortunatly I have no brakes again. After bleeding the pedal was rock hard, 2 days later it goes to the floor. I did discover a leak on the rear circuit at the fitting of the master cilinder. Powerjection has been taken off and so is the hydraboost. Went back to a carb & a booster. Sooo close now Still think it's too loud and there's a drone at idle but I guess that's tuning related. H pipe still needs to be installed.
As not too many people here appreciate a Corvette I hope some of you like to see 'some' pics and a vid.
Nick

Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See, that's just beautiful! One day I hope mine might look as good as that. Congratulations and good luck with the remaining little jobs.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:06 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Thanks Ben, patience and walking away when you want to burn it to the ground out of frustration was what did it for me
Nick
Old 10-29-2011, 06:13 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I had not seen your thread until today. Great job, that is a beauty.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

looks great!

one little detail... mix up some paint to match the interior and lightly coat the six screws on the dash pads (3 on left side.. 3 on right side). Matching color screws were a little detail that GM did. You'll see how the dash looks even better!

Nice job.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:13 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Good tip Scott, I've got some interior dye left and paint them. One thing I can't solve anymore is that the screws (correct ones) pulled through the padding of the dash panel so they are countersunk too far leaving what looks like a hole. Guess I'll have to live with that or replace them with screws which have a bigger washer.
Nick

Get notified of new replies

To intro & some pictures of the (slow) frame off resto

Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Good tip Scott, I've got some interior dye left and paint them. One thing I can't solve anymore is that the screws (correct ones) pulled through the padding of the dash panel so they are countersunk too far leaving what looks like a hole. Guess I'll have to live with that or replace them with screws which have a bigger washer.
Nick
Since the original screws had the eyelets around the screwhead to hold the leather, maybe you could put the washers on the backside of the panels so that when you tighten, it doesn't pull the screw through?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Thanks Ben, patience and walking away when you want to burn it to the ground out of frustration was what did it for me
Nick

I completely agree - I spent 7.5 yrs doing the same thing to mine - and there were times I wanted to burn that fiberglass piece of shyte to the ground!!!!

Your car looks absolutely fantastic, you have done a great job!!! It is so awesome to drive a "brand new" C3!! The anticipation to drive it must be killing you!!!

I like your stereo, what make and model is it? Do you think the screen being in front of the gauges is going to bother you? I like the GPS part of it escpecially.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

@Scott, yeah that was what I was planning to do if it keeps being an eyesore to me or if multiple passengers make a remark about it
@7t2, thank you sir. The car still has to go through technical inspection and certification. Situation here in Belgium all foreign & especially US cars are held back so before I get my documents it can still take more then 6 months (I waited 9 months for my Dodge Ram papers).
I bought the stereo about 3 years ago so it's already dated, but everything is kenwood. I bought the flip up screen because I also like the GPS which will only be used to guide me to cruises, meetings. So most of the time the screen will be down. Especially at the beginning so I can keep an eye on them (water temp & oil pressure)
Dash speakers : replacement from the vendors
Kick panel speakers : older version of this kick panel speakers
Head Unit : older version of thishead unit
Acitve sub in the cargo area : amp and sub combo
Bluetooth & GPS module in the rear RH storage box

Quick Reply: intro & some pictures of the (slow) frame off resto