Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement of heat/ac control - help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
turbo78vair
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement of heat/ac control - help!

In process of replacing the shift console on our '78, I'm having some trouble with the heater/ac control. I am replacing the control. I'll list my problem areas and/or questions:
. The vacuum hoses go into a soft rubber like piece that attaches to the back of the control - how do you get the round speed nuts or whatever they are called off the two mounting studs?
. There are four hoses connected to this rubber piece - There is another connection point that looks like it should have a hose connected to it, but can't find any sign of a loose hose. 4 hoses/5 hoses??
. IF, I decide not to work anymore on getting the speed nuts or whatever they are called off and go ahead to take the next level of the control off (held in place by two screws) what do I then get into?
. Could the vacuum hoses (4 or 5) be hooked directly to the nipples on the back of the control? This would eliminate the rubber piece. I'm sorta liking this option.

I can't find anything in the AIM or shop manuals to help with the above.

Thanks for reading. Take care GaryC - '78PC - Franklin, IN
Old 03-21-2010, 08:35 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by turbo78vair
In process of replacing the shift console on our '78, I'm having some trouble with the heater/ac control. I am replacing the control. I'll list my problem areas and/or questions:
. The vacuum hoses go into a soft rubber like piece that attaches to the back of the control - how do you get the round speed nuts or whatever they are called off the two mounting studs?
. There are four hoses connected to this rubber piece - There is another connection point that looks like it should have a hose connected to it, but can't find any sign of a loose hose. 4 hoses/5 hoses??
. IF, I decide not to work anymore on getting the speed nuts or whatever they are called off and go ahead to take the next level of the control off (held in place by two screws) what do I then get into?
. Could the vacuum hoses (4 or 5) be hooked directly to the nipples on the back of the control? This would eliminate the rubber piece. I'm sorta liking this option.

I can't find anything in the AIM or shop manuals to help with the above.

Thanks for reading. Take care GaryC - '78PC - Franklin, IN
There should be one hole with no vaccum hose. That releases the air when the control is set to a certain position.

You need the soft rubber piece the hoses attach to. The other side has a pattern in it. It directs the vaccum to different places.

The speed nuts should just come off. And you do need them all to hold everything snug together.

Jim
Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you remove the phillips screws that hold the control together it will come apart and will be hard to reassemble. Be careful because the plastic pieces can be very brittle. On my '77, I unpluged the wiring to control and fan speed switch, removed three screws that are pointed up into shift plate with a 1/4 in. ratchet/socket and the control should come out on pass. side. If you are removing shift plate you will have more room of course. Your '78 may be slightly different than my car. The push on retainers my come off very easily or may break off the pins. You can sometimes gently squeeze the sides toward each other with small needle nose pliers and they will loosen up and come right off. If they do not crack in half you can flatten them out and reuse. The temp. control cable is snapped into place and again can break off the retaining clip. The cable is very stiff but should allow the control to come out. Sorry I did not take pics. Good luck, mds...

Last edited by mds3013; 03-21-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

The rubber piece you mention plug on to those pins sticking up

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 AM
turbo78vair
Instructor

Default Heat/ac control replacement - Help!

Thank you for your initial responses.
. Sounds like I need to keep the soft rubber piece.
. There are 4 hoses and one bleed port - thanks
. The round speed nuts that hold the soft rubber piece onto the back of the control should come off the plastic studs with maybe some help of needle nose pliers. I had tried that, but not successful so far. How do you get them back on??
. Cable still attached - should be able to get it.
. Trim panel is removed, old heat/ac control is still laying on the hump. All electrics are unhooked, the cable still connected and vacuum hose connector still in place.
. Think I will reverse the process for reassembly. Hook up vacuum connector (the soft rubber piece), the cable, the electrics and then when ready mount control to bottom of the new trim panel.
Thanks again - GaryC - Franklin, IN
Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Retainers just push back on with help of 5/16 nut driver. If you slightly bend retainer in half it will loosen up. Grip with pliers like you were going to unscrew it only squeeze until it begins to bend in half. Flatten with small hammer before pushing back on. Hope that makes sense. The soft rubber piece is the "gasket" and properly orients the hoses. mds...

Last edited by mds3013; 03-21-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

If they are speed nuts (with hex heads), they will screw on and off; if they are just press-on retainers, you have to {carefully} squeeze them a little bit and wiggle them off. Or you can just squeeze them till they break and put new ones on. Just don't bend the pin while squeezing, or you'll break the metal/plastic pin...and that's not good!!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
turbo78vair
Instructor

Default Heater/ac control - console progress

Progress is being made. Vacuum hose connection and cable disconnected late this afternoon. Now have control out of the car. New one is ready for installation tomorrow. Think I will hook everything up with control loose and then attach to console.

Thanks to JDP6000, mds3013 and 71Tvette
Take care - GaryC - '78 PC - Franklin, IN

Last edited by turbo78vair; 03-21-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Turbo,

Why are you replacing the unit, was the original beyond repair?

Thanks Bill
Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
turbo78vair
Instructor

Default Heat/ac control replacement

Guess I just wanted to try to make the console look a little better. It wasn't just the lens that needed replacement, the levers were also trashed. In the end, will have changed the shift console, heat/ac control, shift boot, shift lens, shift pointer, shift **** - spring-button. ash tray, lighter and ash tray cover.

Our '78PC has a ton of miles, but it still looks pretty decent. I keep trying to bump it up a bit.

Take care - GaryC - Franklin, IN

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement of heat/ac control - help!

Quick Reply: Replacement of heat/ac control - help!