Sponsored by:

Full blown midlife meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Spoonchucker
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full blown midlife meltdown

I don't WANT a four door sedan.....(stomping feet at wifey)

I followed the program:

Go to school, get degree.

Get job, start career.

Buy house, have kids.

Kids mostly grown, off to school now....

WHAT THE HELL DO I NEED A SEDAN FOR? (I have my truck)

Time to finally get the 'Vette, no more excuses, and I want me a BUMPER CAR!

"they're too expensive, they're uncomfortable, impractical, noisy, smelly, and OLD...."

"Insurance will cost a fortune, you'll get too many tickets, door dings cost thousands of dollars (fiberglass is impossible to repair) they get crappy gas mileage...."

aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh......

I have $15k in a slush fund wifey knows nothing about, I am good with a solid small block 4 speed coupe (love to get a roadster) - only thing that REALLY concerns me is rust in the birdcage and/or frame (had a few old Chevelles back in the day - cancer ate most of them up)

Couple of really stupid noob questions:

All the bumper car coupes were T-tops - yes?

Ebay - I am hesitant to bid on cars I can't see in person because of possible hidden rust issues...how do you address this? I've read all the posts on here about how to spot rust, how do you do it if the car is 1,500 miles away?

Spoonchucker (fishing handle - I like to chuck spoons at the salmon up here)
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes all coupes are T tops. Your best bet is to have a knowledgeable Corvette person look at the car for yo uif you cannot see it. I have done it for a few people and the cars were junk. Saved them a boatload of cash and time. I would not buy a car like this sight unseen. Even if you have to pay a fee for it the time and money it will save you can really help out. Remember though the chrome bumper cars are around 40 years old so yo uare buying an old car. There are some really good ones out there and there are some junk. With 15K you should get one that needs a little work but would be in decent shape. Don't expect a perfect car for 15K though. Shop around and do your homework. This forum is a wealth on knowledge.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoonchucker
I don't WANT a four door sedan.....(stomping feet at wifey)

I followed the program:

Go to school, get degree.

Get job, start career.

Buy house, have kids.

Kids mostly grown, off to school now....

WHAT THE HELL DO I NEED A SEDAN FOR? (I have my truck)

Time to finally get the 'Vette, no more excuses, and I want me a BUMPER CAR!

"they're too expensive, they're uncomfortable, impractical, noisy, smelly, and OLD...."

"Insurance will cost a fortune, you'll get too many tickets, door dings cost thousands of dollars (fiberglass is impossible to repair) they get crappy gas mileage...."

aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh......

I have $15k in a slush fund wifey knows nothing about, I am good with a solid small block 4 speed coupe (love to get a roadster) - only thing that REALLY concerns me is rust in the birdcage and/or frame (had a few old Chevelles back in the day - cancer ate most of them up)

Couple of really stupid noob questions:

All the bumper car coupes were T-tops - yes?

Ebay - I am hesitant to bid on cars I can't see in person because of possible hidden rust issues...how do you address this? I've read all the posts on here about how to spot rust, how do you do it if the car is 1,500 miles away?

Spoonchucker (fishing handle - I like to chuck spoons at the salmon up here)
Classic car insurance is waaaaay cheaper than a 4 door sedan's insurance. I'm talking 200-500 a year.
Also if she thinks it has bad gas mileage convince her to let you get fuel injection and a 5sp overdrive

Good luck on the negotiations

Last edited by michalbugno2006; 02-16-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome, spoonchucker;

Sounds like you know what you want! All C3 coupes had the T-tops, 1968 to 1982. Chrome bumpers were on the rear end of all '68 to '73 models and on the front of all '68 to '72 ones. Broadly speaking, the pre '73 ones are more expensive than the '73 or '74 on cars, and big blocks, manuals and convertibles are all extra again.

Big question is, how are you going to explain the "slush fund" to wifey when you come home in the car? Her next question is likely to be, "What OTHER secrets have you been hiding?" Try talking your way out of that one!

One way you might get out alive is to take her on a week's trip to Paris and, when she asks where the money came from, tell her it was for an occasion like this and, oh, by the way, there is a bit more left in it, can I have a toy pretty please?

Good luck.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

if you go through e-bay. only buy after an in person inspection, or someone that is certified to do one. only way i'd do it..welcome to the shark pond. good luck on your search.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonchucker

She isn't too far off the mark on some points, I don't think of my C3 as comfortable or practical. Noisy, smelly, and old are also fairly accurate.

As long as you have a locked garage to keep it in, collector car insurance is quite inexpensive.

I don't want to discourage the purchase of a C3, I highly recommend them. It does sound like she may have been in/around one at some point.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spoonchucker, welcome.

You may also want to keep an eye on Craigslist, I have seen alot of great deals
on there from time to time, Thats how I found mine. Watch the listing now through
the time your ready to buy and you should find some nice bargains on there, Look through
the expired listings to get an ideal of what comes across www.craigslist.com and broaden
your search area around you location to find the most listings.

Like what was said in the above post have a knowledgeable person look at the car with you.
By the way, once you find the right car you will have so much fun with it.
Riggs.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a few reputable dealers depending on where you're located. Which would be where?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit the lottery; win a football pool; go to OTB, but DO NOT just show up with an obviously expensive new toy and no explanation for where the funds came from. My best advice is to fess up... after all, you've been saving for this for a LONG time (yes??? yes!!!)
and need it to be OK to do this instead of a second honeymoon, or new kitchen cabinets, and thank God the kids turned out to be OK they won't need the slush fund now. Find a small block/auto car locally and ask if she will drive it and help you decide if it's really a Corvette you want... involve her in the search if possible. Who knows,, she might just catch the bug with you!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

This is good advice- you will get caught. I once knew of a fellow who purchased a 1980 Corvette and hid it from his wife. He rented a garage (paid cash for the rent) and she knew nothing about it for a couple of years.....until his friendly local dealer sent him an "oil change reminder for his 1980- Corvette" It was all over but the crying at that point

Originally Posted by markids77
Hit the lottery; win a football pool; go to OTB, but DO NOT just show up with an obviously expensive new toy and no explanation for where the funds came from. My best advice is to fess up... after all, you've been saving for this for a LONG time (yes??? yes!!!)
and need it to be OK to do this instead of a second honeymoon, or new kitchen cabinets, and thank God the kids turned out to be OK they won't need the slush fund now. Find a small block/auto car locally and ask if she will drive it and help you decide if it's really a Corvette you want... involve her in the search if possible. Who knows,, she might just catch the bug with you!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought ahead. Bought my C3 before I had a wifey. Still have both and they both are original with matching numbers. Both are older, noisy but not smelly and to me very comfortable & fun to drive. As far as insurance, like posted above, it is reasonable. Figure $300.00 per year give or take. Maintenance on my vette costs much less than maintenace on my wifey and I can play with my vette anytime I want to.

Good luck finding the right car and make sure you have a qualified person to inspect it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
axiom01
4th Gear

Got my C3 and my dog before I got the wife. I still have the C3 and the dog.

Get your car man.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue 69
I thought ahead. Bought my C3 before I had a wifey. Still have both and they both are original with matching numbers. Both are older, noisy but not smelly and to me very comfortable & fun to drive. As far as insurance, like posted above, it is reasonable. Figure $300.00 per year give or take. Maintenance on my vette costs much less than maintenace on my wifey and I can play with my vette anytime I want to.

Good luck finding the right car and make sure you have a qualified person to inspect it.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 PM
jimo
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedZR
This is good advice- you will get caught. I once knew of a fellow who purchased a 1980 Corvette and hid it from his wife. He rented a garage (paid cash for the rent) and she knew nothing about it for a couple of years.....until his friendly local dealer sent him an "oil change reminder for his 1980- Corvette" It was all over but the crying at that point
you are going to open a can of worms!! good luck and happy hunting.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get your car man

i've done the house/kids/wife thing...now we are starting on renovations :-(
get it while you can.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just find and buy that car that turns your crank!

Bring it home after the next fishing derby and say; "Hey dear, look what I won!!"

Welcome aboard! Now fill out your profile; and let us know where you're snagging those salmon!

Get notified of new replies

To Full blown midlife meltdown

Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Spoonchucker
5th Gear

Default Not the first time....

Wifey is wise to my ways...

We've been together forever, known her since elementary school - I misspoke when I said she didn't know about the slush fund - she just doesn't know the exact balance...

Up in Seatle - there are a few prospects on CL, just seem overpriced compared to what I have seen on Ebay (and, apparently Texas).

Yes - it is all over except the crying, she knows that like, Golf, Fishing and Beer, the Vette is inevitable.

So, I there is one on Ebay ('70 coupe, auto)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Claims to be a low mile "garage find" - I don't think the color is right (from the pics looks like it might have been a red car at one point) but also looks like it might go off cheap (maybe less than 10k) - and I do know about body work and paint (got buddies that do that sort of thing) so a solid original car is appealing to me.

I have a college buddy living down there that would go eyeball the car for me, but he knows jack squat about Vette's - I could fly down or make the 13 hour drive, but not sure (as a noob) I would be much better. So, just google "corvette repair Modesto" to try and find an expert?

Gunshy about buying off home field..

SC
Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

This post makes me nervous...... If I am 25 with a career, wife, kid, house, and on my second vette, what will I buy when I'm at the mid-life crisis point of my life.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd tell the OP to hold out for a Vert.... $5k plus his slush fund will easily put him in a 20K vert.

-W

Quick Reply: Full blown midlife meltdown