Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I too big for a 69' coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 PM
EC_BG124
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6' 6", 260 with a 36-37 inch inseam. I had a 79 back in the mid-80's that always felt cramped to me - my hair and head always rubbed on the T-top and like you mentioned, my knee always felt like it would wedge between the door and steering wheel. With my 81 I have a little more room with the glass tops, and the tilt wheel makes all the difference for my knee.

I think if you have to, a tilt column and a pair of glass tops might just seal it for you.....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:10 PM
RF1979C3
Instructor

I am 6'5" 240 and I fit in my '79 although I can't wear a hat when I drive with the tops on.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Another satisfied driver.....at 6' 1"....220 Lb size 12. 4 speed, no tilt, 1968 coupe.....
Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 PM
columnguy
Intermediate

69-82 tilt tele's.....my speciality
Larry 817 296-1819
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes, the questions asked, the people giving the thumbs up while driving, the kids saying "Wow!" when you drive by, etc. and just knowing that regardless of who people are, they notice a Corvette (old or new) when it drives by. You were chosen by your maker to own and care for one of these unique cars. I am proud of a Corvette I pull out of a barn that hasn't run for 30 years. People notice and are intrigued by a Corvette period. I am intrigued just by looking at a Corvette period. The thrill is mine even when I struggle to get my broken old body in and out of a Corvette. Even that is something that most people will never even experience. I have something in common with everyone who wants to talk about a Corvette. And that is a lot of people. I have owned, and still do own, a lot of cars, pickups and motorcycles of various vintage. None of them give me as much mental joy as do my Corvettes.

6'1", 225 lbs. size 12 shoes, broad shoulders, long legs, big head

Last edited by builder; 02-12-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 6'3", 235lbs, size 91/2 shoe. I have 2 '71 coupes. One with tilt/tele column, one without. I drive the car without t/t with shoes off to be able to disengage clutch pedal. With t/t I drive with shoes on.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6'2", 210 lbs, 11" dawgs.....

Went with a smaller steering wheel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...item2eaada705b

and it's very roomy now....
Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

6' 1" 235, size 12 shoes, so I am pretty close to the size of the OP. I have never owned a coupe, but there is plenty of headroom for me in my '70 with the hard top on, and there was plenty of headroom in my '69 with the soft top up. Getting in and out is fine, but both my cars had/have tilt/tele so I have no direct comparison there. The footwell on both is/was a little tight, and the wrong shoes can make it worse, so I know what you mean there. If it is the car you want though, I'll bet you'll get used to it!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

6'2", 220 lbs, size 12 shoe.

I always drive with my shoes off. I find it particularly comfortable, I can grasp the top of the brake and clutch pedals with my toes. I feel that I have more control of the clutch and brake pedals. My 68 has manual brakes so I don't have to worry about my foot slipping off the pedal when I have to really push down on the pedal.

All my shoes are slip on/off shoes. No shoe strings
Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
69tuxedocoupe
Intermediate

6'2-1/2 250 lbs. How I describe it when asked?

It Fits like a condom.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Pjj1020
Instructor

The only one who knows if you will fit is you.

Your the only one who can decide if it is comfortable sitting there in your car (or not) and if it's a big enough deal to have an effect on whether you get the Vette or not.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So did you get it or what? All us tall fat guys want to know!
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
lanceoburnett
Intermediate

I am going to contact the seller later today and make an offer. I'll let you know how it goes. I have the car posted on the forum. Here is the link

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...th-a-69-a.html

Thanks,
Lance
Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Domer
Instructor

I have a '77. I'm 6'4" 195. Removed the liner on the T on my side, lots of head room now. Did a vinyl cover inside with little amount of foam for "sound deadening". seat far back, contemplating removing the floor into the engine area (saw this done on another thread) and re-boxing ther area to fit my feet. You can make the shift/brake peddles smaller. Have a tilt/tele wheel. Once in, comfortable. If you like the car as much as you say, any modifications are possible in order for you to fit into it.
Enjoy!
Domer.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you like it, then buy it. Let me tell you a story. Might help you decide. Don't let size deter you. You can compensate as posted.

I Love the sound of my factory side pipes as I cruise up or down 495 in MA. T tops off, rear window out and windows down on a gorgous spring or summer day. My left arm is stadling the door with my hand gently touching the drivers door mirror. My right hand is cradling the shifter waiting for a command to execute an action. I'm crusing at 60 MPH and my mind is calculating the next move and entices me to press in the clutch and down shift to 3rd and give my 69 some gas. Reflex takes over and the petal is to the metal. Those big secondaries of the Rochester open at the touch of my foot and this great rush of air and fuel charges into the engine creating an enourmous WHHHHHOOOOOOMMMMMAAPPPP sound that doesn't seem want to quit. My sister in law is with me and she is definately exhilirated from the pull she is receiving.. The road ahead is wide open and at 120 MPH my mind again entices me to keep the petal to the metal and shift my baby on the fly. In fourth she came back with that same sound but more sustained. (WHHHHHOOOOOOMMMMMAAPPPP). What a rush. Can't beat the thrill.

Nothing like driving America's only produced sports car.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyPit
I had to get a vert. 6'5 at about 265. There are bigger problems in the world. You can deal with it.
Well and true, but I installed a TT wheel right away, and years later as my skeleton got worse, I chopped the floorboard across the front bottom edge, up the sides to the height of the steering column, swung it forward about 3" and glassed it in.....altered the pedals to drop almost 3" forward....bent the t/sig lever toward the wheel.....the smaller late shark wheel helps a lot also...then I dropped the rear mounting flanges off the seat tracks, lowering the seat by about 1.5 inches in the rear, and then removed carpeting/padding from the front, removed the seat belt covers for extra clearance, and reused the old OEM foam when recovering the seats....so plenty of headroom with the top up....

moving those pedals forward got my knees off the wheel, and greatly improved driveability....

another trick for long distance without cruise....for any car, really...

make sure that when you are pressing the gas down, that you don't have to be actually LIFTING YOUR FOOT off the gas, that is the muscles on the front side of your leg bone...they get tired from me actually lifting my foot off the pedal....so I added extra return spring to the throttle....

Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
lanceoburnett
Intermediate

I found a tilt/tele 76, and tried it as well as a 68. The strange thing I realized about the tilt/tele was that it moved in directions that did not necessarily help the situation. It did tilt down quite a bit, but not up very much. I then started wondering what a new vette would feel like. I headed down to my local dealership where they had a 68, and lots of C6's. I got in the 68 vert first. It did take me a moment to remember the proper sequence of knee first then foot in order to get in. Then I closed the door. Yep, its still a very tight fit. Nearly impossible to let the clutch completely out because the length of my lower leg. I then asked if there were any manual C6's that I could try. "We are all out except for those new Z06's," the salesman said. I was a little hesitant at first, but did get in. It was a perfect fit! the ergonomics were amazing. No contortionist classes needed for this one. I asked if we could take it for a drive, so I could get a feel for the clutch engagement. I did hope that the Z would be very unlikable and hard to drive. This could have helped me decide on doing the interior foot well mods as some of you guys have suggested. The drive could not have been further from this, it was amazing. I was able to heel toe the clutch instead of moving my entire leg like in the 69'. I drove it around for a little while. Great car, good handling, everything as it should be. Then I gave it an aggressive run through the gears (at least the first 3). HOLY CRAP!! I've read everything on this car and seen all the Z06 videos. Nothing does this car justice. This car has to be driven to be believed!
I realize this is a very unfair comparison. All my life I thought I wanted a 69' vette, Now I just dont know. I love the C3 exterior styling. The interior, however leaves mutch to be desired especially in the room department. These two cars are worlds apart. This is not a knock on C3's. Like I said, I really like them. This is just me expressing my thoughts. I'm trying to reason this out, and decide what I really want. A very tight borderline uncomfortable 69' or an expensive C6. I'm about a year away from being able to afford a 2 year old C6Z if I go that direction. Why did I drive that Z?

Confused

Last edited by lanceoburnett; 02-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I too big for a 69' coupe?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 PM
69tuxedocoupe
Intermediate

If I could afford a Z06, I'd have a 65-67 big Block Coupe. matching numbers or not.

I'd let my leg fall asleep and have gang green set in as long as I could look down a Stinger hood.

It's like comparing a 2010 Harley Davidson ultra-Classic to a 1939 Knucklehead.

Worlds apart, but give me the tank Shift foot clutch pre-war Knuck any day.

There's something nostalgic and special about driving 40-50 year old machines. The noise of a solid lifter motor, the smell of unburned premium fuel and the raw neck snapping torque of a Big Block GM mill is hard to beat.

For you lucky guys, a Z06 as your daily driver with your vintage machines for the weekend would be great.

But I'd be hard pressed to choose the Z06 between the two.

The first time you spent $4K changing your brakes and tires after driving 20,000 miles you'de question your descision.

Then again, you better love to turn a wrench with a Vintage Classic. For me, that's half the fun.

Last edited by 69tuxedocoupe; 02-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
lanceoburnett
Intermediate

I have decided that a C3 is not in my near future. If I were to find one that had the foot well extended, this could change my mind. For now, I have come to the realization that the C3 was not built with my body frame in mind. I really wanted to make this happen. I really liked this car, and was looking forward to owning it. I think what finally did it for me, was when I simulated trying to make an evasive manuver while seated in the 68'. I could not do it. I tried several times. I just sat there for several minutes and let the idea sink in. "I am a danger to myself and others while behind the wheel of this car." It is still hard for me to believe. I have not given up on the idea of owning a corvette. I know that I still will. I will just have to change my idea of what the perfect corvette is for me.

I did call the seller, but he did not answer. I felt very much like a jerk leaving him an abreviated explination as to why I was not going to buy his car. He is a very nice guy, and I feel obligated to explain myself. He has given a lot of his time to this sale. I believe that he was going to lower his asking price. If he would like me to then I will post all of his contact info on the forum. I still think that this is a good driver that someone could enjoy without having to worry about putting miles on.

Thank you to all who contributed,
Lance
Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 PM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A 68' is a tight fit for a small guy! You need to try a 77' with tilt/tele the wheel is 2" closer to the dash from this year on. I'm dieting for a better fit as we speak!

Quick Reply: Am I too big for a 69' coupe?