Sponsored by:

NCRS Signed Zora plaque found at Kissimmee show

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
MarkV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NCRS Signed Zora plaque found at Kissimmee show

I found this very cool NCRS 'Mark Of Excellence' Award at the NCRS Winter Meet in Kissimmee FL this past weekend. It came with the NCRS front license plate and folder that obviously came with the award. Notice that the award is signed in black magic marker by Zora Duntov! He signed this award in 1992. The seller explained to me that he had found this award along with other Corvette related items in a storage warehouse in a unit where the rent hadn't been paid & they sold all of the contents. I bought it for a very fair price, as I've been wanting a Zora autograph for my collection; however, I'm quite sure that the current owner of this 1972 LT-1 Corvette would love to have this. If any of you guys know the whereabouts of this car/owner, please let them know that I have this item that's an important part of the cars history. The VIN number is 1Z37L2S521801. The award is still in excellent condition. If I can't find the current owner of this car, I'll keep it. It's only available to the current owner of this VIN number.....

Last edited by MarkV; 01-25-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 PM
SPOOKY7640
Heel & Toe

that is so sick i wish that has my car
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 AM
bumperkar kid
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

giving the duntov award back to it's rightfull owner. now that's what i call "good corvette people". you should be commended, sir!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I've given a link to this post over on the NCRS site. One of the former team leaders recognizes the name of the car owner on the plaque. If he's still a member or if the VIN pops up maybe this might work.

Very good deed trying to reunite the car and plaque!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
66L36Coupe
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ran a check on Intelius.com and found a 98 year old Johnathan Folber in Tamerac FL. You can spend a couple bucks and get his contact info... Sounds like he could be your man, or his son might be more likely...
Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
MarkV
Racer

Originally Posted by 66L36Coupe
Just ran a check on Intelius.com and found a 98 year old Johnathan Folber in Tamerac FL. You can spend a couple bucks and get his contact info... Sounds like he could be your man, or his son might be more likely...
That sounds great, but I'm actually interested in getting this award in the hands of the current owner. I feel that it belongs with the car and it's current owner, not any previous owners; but it is possible that Johnathan still owns it & if that's the case, I'm sure that he'd like to have this 'lost' part of the cars history.

Last edited by MarkV; 01-26-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to go check my SN...not me.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Joelbbvette
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default NCRS Award

If you are a member of NCRS you can post a FREE ad in Driveline and then you might get some hits. So hope you enjoyed the show even if we got a bit wet on Thursday and had to trudge through the SWAMP Meet.

I have also seen this name come up around the Naples / Cape Coral area of Florida.

Good luck.

Joel

Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
MarkV
Racer

Originally Posted by Joelbbvette
If you are a member of NCRS you can post a FREE ad in Driveline and then you might get some hits. So hope you enjoyed the show even if we got a bit wet on Thursday and had to trudge through the SWAMP Meet.

I have also seen this name come up around the Naples / Cape Coral area of Florida.

Good luck.

Joel

Yes, I am an NCRS member & have already posted an ad to be included in the next issue of the NCRS Driveline. Hopefully, the current owner will respond. With it being such a nice car, I hope that it's still around & being judged & appreciated. If not, I'll just keep it in my collection & maybe one day I'll be able to locate the car & it's owner. I'll be at the NCRS National Convention this July in Charlotte, N.C. with my '77, so I'll certainly bring this award along just on the outside chance that the car will be there for some level of judging. It sure would be a surprise for the current owner to be able to add this lost award to this cars historical collection. Hopefully the car still exists & is still out there somewhere!

Yes, that Thursday night before the show/SWAMPmeet was awful with tons of wind & rain. I bet all of the owners of the cars in the judging field were holding their breath praying that it wouldn't start hailing or worse. And it definitely was no fun on Friday trying to avoid all of the water & mud! Some vendors couldn't even do any business that day because the area they were set up in was under 5 inches of standing water! Some of the vendors actually had to rent electric pumps to pump the water away & into the street so they could do business. I'm glad that all of the nasty weather was gone by Friday; the weather couldn't have been nicer for the rest of the weekend. Again, they got very lucky & had nice weather for the swap meet and the judging. I've been going down there every year since 2003 & have yet to see it rain on the weekend of the show. They really do have great luck!

Again, just to be clear, I'm looking to re-unite this award with the current owner of this VIN number. If the named person on the plaque is no longer the owner, then he won't get this award! It belongs with the car and it's current owner. Of course, I'll need to see proof that they do indeed own this VIN '72 LT-1.

Last edited by MarkV; 01-26-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkV
Again, just to be clear, I'm looking to re-unite this award with the current owner of this VIN number. If the named person on the plaque is no longer the owner, then he won't get this award! It belongs with the car and it's current owner. Of course, I'll need to see proof that they do indeed own this VIN '72 LT-1.
Mark,

Not meaning to change your mind, just pointing out something...

In the NCRS a Bowtie Award follows a car because a car can only be judged for Bowtie once in its life. So, if you sell a car the award goes with it.

However, a Duntov award does not "go" with a car because a car can be judged numerous times in Flight judging and receive the Duntov award more than once. In fact, many have received it multiple times.

So, it may "mean" more to the original recipient than the current owner. But, it's yours now to do with as you wish. Either way, it's great that you're trying to find out what happened.

Patrick
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

That is nice! A Duntov award signed by Duntov. I know he was very generous with his signature, but they are definitely not making them any more.

For those wondering what you have to do to get a Duntov award: (its pretty intense)

http://www.ncrs.org/awards.html#DUNTOV

As of the end of the 2007 season, only 770 Corvettes have achieved the Duntov Mark of Excellence.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
That is nice! A Duntov award signed by Duntov. I know he was very generous with his signature, but they are definitely not making them any more.

For those wondering what you have to do to get a Duntov award: (its pretty intense)

http://www.ncrs.org/awards.html#DUNTOV
That will take lots of time, patience, and $$$ to do.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
MarkV
Racer

And what would be even more incredible would be if this car was my old '72 Steel Cities Gray LT-1 coupe that I sold back in '82!! And this car is definitely Steel Cities Gray. I have no idea if it's my old LT-1 or not because I don't have a record of the VIN number. I just didn't think about that sort of stuff when I was 22 years old.....but that would really be ironic as hell if it was!!

Last edited by MarkV; 01-26-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked with Scott Lindee, the keeper of the NCRS LT1 Survey, and the data on the car predates Jonathon’s ownership -- and at that we only have the name Mike in 1989.

An email to the NCRS Judging Chairman might find the last NCRS Judging, but that was likely the 1992 Convention in Warren Michigan that is listed on the award.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Great news! The current owner of the car has been tracked down via the NCRS membership roles and will be put in contact with MarkV.

This might work out !! Cool or what?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Great news! The current owner of the car has been tracked down via the NCRS membership roles and will be put in contact with MarkV.

GREAT STUFF......Congrat's to all whom helped in this effort!

Stay in tune....
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Signed Zora plaque found at Kissimmee show

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM
MarkV
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Ward

Great! Now maybe this award will be reunited with the car after many years.......BUT......I guess my search for a Zora Duntov authentic autograph to add to my collection will resume.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkV
Great! Now maybe this award will be reunited with the car after many years.......BUT......I guess my search for a Zora Duntov authentic autograph to add to my collection will resume.
I have several items with his signature from Funfest 94. He signed my tripower lid, 54 side curtain bag, black 69 dash pad, 53 original owner's manual. I also bought a book that was signed by Zora below his picture.

I "might" be able to be talked out of the book.....maybe?

The name of the book is:

Corvette - Cream Of The Crop - The Top Ten
Author - Henry Rasmussen

I just checked Amazon. There are several copies out there. Maybe you can find one that is signed?

Good luck!!

The first 100 copies were signed by the author as well as by Zora Duntov

Here is the page in the book with the two signatures

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 01-29-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
swtato
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

It will be cool to get this to the current owner!

Quick Reply: NCRS Signed Zora plaque found at Kissimmee show