Sponsored by:

Best way to haul C3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onaqwst
bring some 2x8's if your front end sits low... you'll need to stack them to reduce the initial ramp incline..... ask how i know.... but then again i'm 1.5" lower on the front
Ya... I had to set the trailer up on a hill to get the angle of the dangle correct to drive my '68 on and off the trailer. I had a spotter that told me I was about to drag. Using an incline it was easy. I've seen some cars struggle and need momentum to get up the ramps. At least a Vette can muscle itself up there slowly and carefully.

-W
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very pleased with my uhaul trailer rental. As someone else has mentioned, you need to watch the back of the trailer angle to make sure you don't bottom out while loading and unloading.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

I called 5 places, no one had a trailer to rent, they all said to go to Uhaul and they had some to rent. I called Uhaul, there were about 10 places in the city to rent Uhauls, only 2 had 'em. called closest one, reserved the trailer. it was ready and they were very helpful in hooking it up to my hitch.. it was about a 10 hour round trip to pick up my car and everything was perfect..
it was a great experience, nobody except Uhaul rents trailers.

if you are hauling alot, it might be economical to buy one, or buy a good used one. might be cheaper than renting one.. of course then you will need to plate it an insure it.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

....got this trailer in '92 for $800. Friend's brother bought it new and only used it two seasons hauling an early '70s 454 Monte Carlo to the drag races weekly. He paid $1750 for it when it was new. Had been siting in his backyard for 5yrs or so.

Last edited by Paul Borowski; 01-20-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by hsaarch
They PROMISED me the trailer would be in perfect condition as I made it clear to them I was transporting a classic corvette 350+ miles each way...

...... I cancelled the deal...Planned going to Carlisle since January..had field fun passes..hotel,everything booked...wife didn't want to go to Carlisle without the vette....neither did I, went camping instead...
You lived 350 miles from Carlisle and didn't go? Why not just drive the Corvette? Isn't that the purpose of places like Carlisle, to gather the Corvettes together?

In the old days of Bloomington, people drove from hundreds and thousands of miles away in their Corvettes to attend.

To the OP,

If you use the tire straps, you may have much too movement in the car and the front may smash on that front cross piece of the trailer. Be sure to check before driving. Using straps to the frame is much better and it lets you check the closeness of the car to items like this before you go.

Ryder used to rent trailers, also, and may still do so in your area. Also, since it is winter, check around. You may have a racer in your area who doesn't need it right now (off season) and will rent you his for a reasonable price.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM
hsaarch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
You lived 350 miles from Carlisle and didn't go? Why not just drive the Corvette? Isn't that the purpose of places like Carlisle, to gather the Corvettes together?

In the old days of Bloomington, people drove from hundreds and thousands of miles away in their Corvettes to attend.

To the OP,

If you use the tire straps, you may have much too movement in the car and the front may smash on that front cross piece of the trailer. Be sure to check before driving. Using straps to the frame is much better and it lets you check the closeness of the car to items like this before you go.

Ryder used to rent trailers, also, and may still do so in your area. Also, since it is winter, check around. You may have a racer in your area who doesn't need it right now (off season) and will rent you his for a reasonable price.
I totally agree with you about driving there. I would have done it, however, we have the most beautiful chocolate lab that was coming with us. She weighs 80 pounds and would have to had sat on my wifes lap the whole way...

We restricted her to light beer because the vet said she's a little chunky.

OP
There are some local equipment rental places that also rent very nice trailers. Bremar Rental is literally 2 miles from my house and has great trailers. He had a bad experiance on one rental out of state and no longer allows people to leave the state with the trailers. The other option I had was Budget Rental. They also have great trailers but you can only pull it with thier truck so you end up renting both... As much as I hate to say this, unless you know someone who will let you borrow one, UHaul is the best bet.......Just make sure you know from who and what trailer you are getting before you need it if you're going to rent from UHaul....just sayin.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default .

LMBO!!!

I totally agree with you about driving there. I would have done it, however, we have the most beautiful chocolate lab that was coming with us. She weighs 80 pounds and would have to had sat on my wifes lap the whole way...

OP
There are some local equipment rental places that also rent very nice trailers. Bremar Rental is literally 2 miles from my house and has great trailers. He had a bad experiance on one rental out of state and no longer allows people to leave the state with the trailers. The other option I had was Budget Rental. They also have great trailers but you can only pull it with thier truck so you end up renting both... As much as I hate to say this, unless you know someone who will let you borrow one, UHaul is the best bet.......Just make sure you know from who and what trailer you are getting before you need it if you're going to rent from UHaul....just sayin.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default .

LMBO!!! ( at lab & beer )

OP
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry guys, I have to relay this story to you about UHaul.
........It looked like it hadn't seen the road since 1970. I wish I took a picture because this does not even remotely describe the condition of this thing ...

Sorry for the long rant, it's been one of thise days...
I completely agree and empathize with you, hsaarch. This was what I found too, after getting run around. No offense but I was treated like a woman. Their equipment looked unsafe and because I was in a bind for time, hooked it up to their truck and watched that thing like a hawk during that entire trip. I'll never trade with those peckerwoods again.

Originally Posted by pv0
UHaul wanted $700 for me to drive from Savannah to Texas. ...
They quoted me outrageous numbers higher than that from CO to TX.

Originally Posted by R1234
I was very pleased with my uhaul trailer rental. ...
Wow! That has to be THE nicest U-Haul trailer in their fleet; looks brand new. I'm happy for you and the others who had a good experience with them. My initial dealings with them was anything but good or great with the junk they leased to me.

Originally Posted by joewill
I called 5 places, no one had a trailer to rent, ..., nobody except Uhaul rents trailers.

if you are hauling alot, it might be economical to buy one, or buy a good used one. might be cheaper than renting one.. of course then you will need to plate it an insure it.
I found that Penske consistently had nicer "car transporters" than U-Haul. I used them the last 2 times I moved my house before I finally broke down and invested in a trailer of my own. So Penske is also an option along with local moving outfits who may have them.

U-Haul can suck channel water for all I care.

Mine has paid for itself at least once over. Not only moving my own junk around but helping family, friends, and neighbors. The Superwinch I mounted inside that alum box makes life easy as pie, too. The bed has a low CG too so no need for boosting the ramps to straighten angles; my Vette loads without a gripe. Torsion axles, removable fenders, and 4-wheel elec brakes make for the smoothest pulls.

Hope to step up to a box trailer once I get a stronger truck but for now, I'm as mobile as fuel, weather, and roads allow, 24 x 7.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Dustup, nice trailer! I hope I can find one like that, used.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 PM
surferdude
4th Gear

I hauled an 82 collectors edition from New Braunfels, Tx to down near Galveston using a Uhaul. I used some extension ramps along with the provided trailer ramps to make the driving on the car trailer not so steep. Then I had some boards put near the front so the front ground effects wouldn't hit. I used the standard tire straps provided on the front and an additional chain that I ratcheted down tight on the rear frame. The chain they provided was weak. When I backed it off, I was lucky that the driveway had a good incline so it backed almost straight horizontally off the trailer. I didn't need to use my extension ramps. Make sure you drive it on nose forward as you want the engine near the front of the trailer. I kept the speed at 60mph and it drove awesome. No problems at all. Good luck. I think I paid $100.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle275
Dustup, nice trailer! I hope I can find one like that, used.
Like this one?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...-for-sale.html

Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
J.K. Cooley
Instructor

Sorry guys, I have to relay this story to you about UHaul. check the trailer out loooong before you actually need it and make sure it's the one they actually rent to you. They spoiled my trip to Carlisle this year the day I was leaving...

They PROMISED me the trailer would be in perfect condition as I made it clear to them I was transporting a classic corvette 350+ miles each way... The day I was supposed to pick it up they changed the pickup location to a place an hour away from where I had originally arranged.

They let me pick it up earlier since now I had to delay my trip 2 hours..I arranged the early pick up with the local guy and he assured me it would be ready to go. I explained to him I needed this trailer to be in tip top condition and what I was planning to do with it..I get to the place and it was closed.....out to lunch....won't be back for 2 hours... I drove around back and found the trailer. It had four miss matched dry rotted tires and one of them was flat. It had visible rust holes in the frame, missing dust caps on the axels, missing fender on drivers side and the whole tongue assembly and jack was questionable at best........It looked like it hadn't seen the road since 1970. I wish I took a picture because this does not even remotely describe the condition of this thing but I was a little worked up by then. I would not have put my bicycles on this thing.

I called the main office to find out if this was the actual trailer I was supposed to pick up.... it was and they assured me once again it was is superb condition... I asked if there was another one somewhere and they told me the only other one in the state of Connecticut was an hour away in the opposite direction....... I cancelled the deal...Planned going to Carlisle since January..had field fun passes..hotel,everything booked...wife didn't want to go to Carlisle without the vette....neither did I, went camping instead...

Moral of the story:
Uhaul rents all thier vehicles through a regional office to the local guys...The local guys have very different standards of maintenance and not all of them have all the equipment UHaul rents... Like Car Haulers.... The regional office never sees the stuff they are renting, It's a coin toss... be very familiar with the equipment and place you are renting from..

http://www.uhaul-sucks.com/

Sorry for the long rant, it's been one of thise days...
Sorry to hear about the Carlisle trip....too bad you aren't closer to my area ...... could have provided an alternative to U-haul

Quick Reply: Best way to haul C3?