Sponsored by:

Speakers for my 79

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:03 PM
pbbergs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers for my 79

I bought my 79 last April and it is in incredible shape. The only thing I am aware of that isn't original is the radiator (Which I recently had to replace) and the sound system. I went out and purchased a look alike radio replacement with an external input option. There was already an amp installed that sits behind the passengers seat and some big woofers in the cargo in the back storage area. I believe the front are blown and the back aren't hooked up but routed to the external speakers.
I want to try and get rid of the current external speakers (I'm guessing 7 years old) and get the original look back but not give up the sound.

Anyone have advice on what my options (If there are any) about getting great sound without the annoying big speaker look? I take the T-Top off it gets real noisey so I want to be able to hear my music.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,055 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Front and rear 79 factory speakers were a standard size, so just about any quality aftermarket speakers can be used.

Rear speakers were an option on 79's. They mounted in the rear corners of the storage compartment and used standard 6" x 9" speakers. The stock rear speaker covers and speaker brackets are available. There were also 2 stamped steel brackets rivited to the rear of the storage compartment on each side that the speaker brackets attach to. If your car originally had rear speakers, these brackets are probably still back there, behind the carpet. I don't recall if those brackets are still available, but if not, they should be easy to find used. The assembly manual has a complete illustration of how it all goes together.

The front speakers are a standard size, too (I'm having a senior moment, but I think they may be 3" x 5"s). The only problem with changing front speakers was that the originals had a fairly small magnet. Most better aftermarket speakers have larger magnets, meaning you may need to do a little cutting to the dash in the area under the speaker to get them to fit into the openning.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 PM
turbojet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Paul there are many options it depends how much you want to spend.
You can put 6x9's in the rear and I think you have 4x6's in the dash.
Put the amp on the back wall the you will have all the room you need for the t-tops.
I have a 71 and don't have the room for 6x9's in the rear so I put 6 1/2 speakers in the kick panels and a sub in the jack compartment and the amp in the battery compartment, this gives me access to the rear window tray and room for the t-tops.
I am sure some others will chime in, do a search for stereos and speakers there are plenty.
Good luck keep us posted and post pics.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Replacement speakers of the same size [as stock] should work well and give you good sound quality. If the amp is decent, keep it; but set it for a good impedence match to the new speakers...even if the power level is dropped by doing so. Speaker quality is where you get good frequency response and clarity. 6"x9" speakers are big enough to do a good job of reproducing decent bass response. But they won't make the van stopped next to you "do the shimmy".
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
RF1979C3
Instructor

Front speakers are 4x6" I replaced mine last summer. Easy swap with new Pioneer's. About any standardized 4x6 should work. Rear speakers are also standardized, but mine were replaced with custom 6x9s when I bought the car. They sound great and the job was done proffesionally so I didn't mess with them.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM
STL'79
Intermediate

Default Speakers for my "79

Paul: What type of in dash unit did you use? I need to replace the original (8-track) unit (the tuning function no longer works). Did you go with a newer profile, or retain the original bezel?

Get notified of new replies

To Speakers for my 79

Quick Reply: Speakers for my 79