Sponsored by:

Rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Finja
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and pads

Where is the best place to get rotors and pads from. I don't need anything extreme. I saw some over at www.corvetteamerica.com but wanted to check with the experts over here before buying. Mine is a 76. Thanks for the help

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...ategoryid=X715

Also, do I really need the rivets?

Last edited by Finja; 12-27-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:35 PM
RedAirRdstr
Instructor

I bought Wagner rotors and pads from the local O'reillys. To my surprise, they had all 4 rotors in stock. They seem to be good quality rotors and the runout was very close when I mounted them. Also, you don't need to replace the rivets.

,Jeremy
Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 AM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RedAirRdstr
I bought Wagner rotors and pads from the local O'reillys. To my surprise, they had all 4 rotors in stock. They seem to be good quality rotors and the runout was very close when I mounted them. Also, you don't need to replace the rivets.

,Jeremy

Same here along with new calipers.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Finja
Instructor

Originally Posted by BTAL

Same here along with new calipers.
I rebuilt all of the calipers already

Before

After!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Finja
Instructor

,Jeremy
Unfortunately I don't have an O'reillys where I am

How much did you pay? I am thinking about getting the kit from the link in my first post. It provides all four rotors and pads.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a system better served to purchase local...Any local auto parts store can help you.... especially good for exchange parts too. Full credit on cores immediately..if it was necessary, and is not in your case...Use the Yellow Pages to find one.....
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 AM
RedAirRdstr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Finja
Unfortunately I don't have an O'reillys where I am

How much did you pay? I am thinking about getting the kit from the link in my first post. It provides all four rotors and pads.
I bought mine about this time last year and I think I paid about $70 per rotor. The pads were pretty reasonable, I think I ended up with about 60 dollars in pads. I think Advance Auto used to handle Wagner items too, you may check with them if you have one. The set in the link will probably be fine too, just for cruising around, but I usually don't like to buy the cheaper end of the spectrum when it comes to stopping. Just make sure you check the runout and shim them if necessary.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you need rotors? Have you checked them? No sense buying rotors if you don't actually need them.

The original rivets were there for run out purposes. As long as run out is within spec, you don't need them.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I bought my rear rotors from Wilcox (although 1 1/2 years ago) for $35 each. I don't know how much shipping would be since I picked them up.

If you're pulling the rear rotors it's a good time to check the parking brake hardware. The job is a biotch, but at least mine works now
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

I bought Rotors from NAPA. Price was right and as far as I can tell after a year, no problem with the quality.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Finja
Instructor

I bought mine about this time last year and I think I paid about $70 per rotor. The pads were pretty reasonable, I think I ended up with about 60 dollars in pads. I think Advance Auto used to handle Wagner items too, you may check with them if you have one. The set in the link will probably be fine too, just for cruising around, but I usually don't like to buy the cheaper end of the spectrum when it comes to stopping. Just make sure you check the runout and shim them if necessary.
Yes already went and got a quote from Advance and Wagner is the name. They seem to be the best priced so far and I get a 10% discount because I am military!!! As for the low end I just need OEM stuff. Car is just a cruiser. I have a 00 Trans Am with an 80mm turbo for the track!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Do you need rotors? Have you checked them? No sense buying rotors if you don't actually need them.

The original rivets were there for run out purposes. As long as run out is within spec, you don't need them.

If you look at the picture of the caliper above.........the rotors match! Just want all new. I am replacing everything! booster and master are already out and I am prepping to paint the area. Already have all of the parts for the entire system except pads and rotors

Originally Posted by Poppa Bud
I bought my rear rotors from Wilcox (although 1 1/2 years ago) for $35 each. I don't know how much shipping would be since I picked them up.

If you're pulling the rear rotors it's a good time to check the parking brake hardware. The job is a biotch, but at least mine works now
Already bought all stainless hardware and all new cables and pieces to rebuild the parking brake also. I did the wheel bearings about 4 or 5 years ago and learned how much of a beast the parking brake stuff is!

Now could I get a little more info on the run out? What am I measuring here? if the rotor is centered between the pads?

and as for the rivets....no need because the wheel will hold them in place as long as the run out is correct? am I headed in the right direction here?

Last edited by Finja; 12-29-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotors and pads

Quick Reply: Rotors and pads