Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Tire Rack

I was planning on changing my 225s to 255s on my 75. I did this on my 81 and love the look. Probably the Firestones or BF Goodrich.
I would like to get them from Tire Rack and support a forum vendor. They have a great price on the tires, but the shipping is high and makes them almost as much as my local dealer. Does Tirerack have any discount codes or anything to help with the cost? I used them once before and their service is top notch.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:15 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if there is any sale code's...you might luck out, but doubful.

I recently purchased mine off ebay...from another vendor. My local dealer could not touch the price nor could Tire Rack (shipping included).

Check around before you buy...here is whom I used....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-New...item518dff3722

Here is another set even cheaper...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-255...item53dcdc070c

Last edited by GREGG-73; 12-23-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Don't forget that you eliminate that 7% Jersey sales tax on the tires and the shipping by using Tirerack.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had 2 tires mounted that I had purchased from Tire Rack. The local place that was installing the tires said they would match the price I got...which will probably beat trying to haul them around in the car to have them mounted next time.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Just checked Tire Rack, they will do $404 shipped so that is a pretty good price. I have a guy to mount and balance for free (usually get him a depot gift card and he is happy). I guess I just like to keep looking for better deals.
I'm not doing the tires for a few weeks. so I will keep an eye on ebay in the meantime.
Thanks guys.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

One thing I would be careful of or at least pay attention to, is the date of manufacture of the tires you buy. The public has been "alarmed" recently by some news programs that have focused their attention on tire outlets that have been selling "old" tires to customers without making them aware of it. As a result there are more than a few of these "tire deals" out there that involve unloading "old" tires for what appear to be excellent prices.

I would not be interested in purchasing tires more than 2 years old for my older Corvettes that see only a few thousand miles a year. Most tire manufactures, those that will even give you a number, suggest that tires more than about 6 years old should be replaced. That's not necessarily bad advice, but of course it's conditional on many other factors as well.

If you'll be using them up in a couple of years, it is less of a factor.

There is lots of information out there on this subject right now and I would not allow it to "scare" me, but I do pay close attention to the age of any tires I buy for this reason.

I have also been buying from Tire Rack for more than 20 years and never been disappointed in anything I've purchased from them. There was a time when no-one could touch their prices, but as others have discovered there are some places that will now match their prices. It can't hurt to ask.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 12-24-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 AM
vettecor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said.

Larry
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbwac
Just checked Tire Rack, they will do $404 shipped so that is a pretty good price. I have a guy to mount and balance for free (usually get him a depot gift card and he is happy). I guess I just like to keep looking for better deals.
I'm not doing the tires for a few weeks. so I will keep an eye on ebay in the meantime.
Thanks guys.
That's a damn good deal....better order now before they change the pricing at the beginning of the new year...lock it in now. Since your mounting and balancing is at nill or no cost...you should come out ahead.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:20 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, I think I will. I trust the tire rack so I think I will go with them. Thanks guys for the advice. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbwac
Yeah, I think I will. I trust the tire rack so I think I will go with them. Thanks guys for the advice. Happy Holidays!

Tire Rack will ship them to the installer directly also to save hauling them around. And for those who don't have a preferred installer they will recommend one in your area.

cc
Old 12-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Tire Rack is a great way to go, no doubt. Personally, I try to support local vendors whenever possible. It is a use-it or loose-it kinda deal. And they return the favor, throwing in free alignments with a 4 tire purchase, or fixing flats on tires they did not sell me. Believe you me, I am really cheap, but supporting the little guy is important to me cuz they live and work in my neighborhood. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM
bigjoepos
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought I would chime in here....

I contacted costco about this a short while ago and they sent me a link to this tire although when I paste it here it brings me to the top search page I think. See if the link works for you.

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/Custo...&Option=CUSTOM

I can email anyone the link if they want it.

$93.99 each without any additional shipping cost.

Although will need to pay sales tax in NJ.

When they run the coupon discount it does not apply. If it did that would be an additional $70 off.

The install package is $14 but I dont think you need to have them installed there.

Last edited by bigjoepos; 12-25-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Just looked on line at the local Discount Tire and they have the 255/60x15 BFGoodrich TA Radials for $99.00 each for a total $499.50 out the door with install balance and all taxes.

tom...
Old 12-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local America/discount tire matches tire rack (with some +/- for shipping/taxes) I found out when I went there with my tire rack purchase. I ended up paying more once I added all the cost including mounting and balancing. Not sure I would want to deal with an out of state internet operation for a road hazard issue.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee H
...Not sure I would want to deal with an out of state internet operation for a road hazard issue.
I have actually had to do this with the Tire Rack, so I thought I would add a comment...

I purchased a set of Goodyear tires from Tire Rack a few years back that I've put only a couple thousand miles on. Unfortunately one of the tires failed after the normal warranty ran out (not mileage). However Goodyear has a much longer warranty against manufacturer defects.

Since the tire was otherwise out of warranty I purchased a new tire from Tire Rack to replace the failed one. When my installer removed the tire he said this tire has a broken belt inside with no evidence of damage on the outside that could otherwise result in a broken belt. He suggested I contact the dealer and talk to them.

I contacted Tire Rack and they asked that I take it to a local Goodyear dealer and ask them to make a statement regarding the damaged tire. The local Goodyear dealer was reluctant to say anything until he realized I wasn't asking him to replace the tire. At that point he agreed that the belt was broken in the tire. With that, Tire Rack asked that I mail the tire to them so that they could check it out.

I mailed the tire to Tire Rack and within a week they credited my account for the replacement tire I bought, including all fees. All in all, I thought that they did everything they could for me while at the same time taking reasonable precautions against possible fraud.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 PM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Default Another option...

I have not tried these folks myself (yet) but have heard very good things from others that have... They ship to a dealer in your area and all you need to do is show up & have them installed... They do custom wheels also...

https://www.tirebuyer.com/
Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Jack Freeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom73
Just looked on line at the local Discount Tire and they have the 255/60x15 BFGoodrich TA Radials for $99.00 each for a total $499.50 out the door with install balance and all taxes.

tom...
Guys, I am an Independent Tire Dealer and will be glad to do this deal any day of the week. My price also would include free rotate if you are in this area and with free Roadhazard Warranty for two years. I sell against Tire Rack,Sams,Wal-mart,Discount Tire and most of the time I can at least meet their price and sometimes I can beat their price. I would always recommend to at least talk with an Independent and give him a chance. I believe you will find the service to be superior to anything you will get especially at the big box stores.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Rack

Quick Reply: Tire Rack