C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rant - parts guys ain't what they used to be...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true.........and I can rationalize that.

But I was trying to buy non-descript wiper blades.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rajsid
Who else would you get for $10/hour?
$10? you mean $8 (at least here in Florida)
Old 12-04-2009, 10:41 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I have learned how to creatively lie to the guys behind the counter....

I have notes of my modifications to various cars....for instance the alternator on my '72 vette is off a '79 Caddy Seville with RWdefogger....a 17SI...108 amp rating.....

the rack is a '92 Grand Am

etc.....

now when we get to my camper project and find my GM axle with FORD drums and brakes on it....well, things get really interesting THEN....

much less the DODGE a/c compressor, and the CS144 alternator on it....

Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm of the opinion it is irrational to expect a minimum wage earner who likely wasnt even BORN when your car was made to have any idea what the hell you are talking about.

He knows what a clutch is (probably) but the machine that tells him what is in stock doesnt list stock by diameter, or spline count. but rather by the vehicle in which it was installed.

This is not his fault.

Frankly your question to the poor O'Rielly counter guy is not unlike asking the McDonanlds counterperson the sodium content of a BigMac.

The information is somewhere in the building but he sure as hell doesnt know it.

For alot of us, buying parts for our cars requires knowing what to ask for, and that does not mean asking for something that never existed in our cars to begin with especially when we know damned well that the talent behind the counter is not what it once was.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by fauxrs
I'm of the opinion it is irrational to expect a minimum wage earner who likely wasnt even BORN when your car was made to have any idea what the hell you are talking about.
So, he doesn't need to know an auto from a stick?

This is not his fault.

Frankly your question to the poor O'Rielly counter guy is not unlike asking the McDonanlds counterperson the sodium content of a BigMac.

The information is somewhere in the building but he sure as hell doesnt know it.
To use your metaphor - when he asked if it was an auto or standard, I see it more like asking for an extra beef patty and his asking if my taste is for burger or fries.

We would have worked through it but there were 10 people behind me and I wasn't going to train him. Like I said earlier, there are a couple of guys there that do know their stuff and get the books out when I'm buying for the vette or my '58 pickup so I know the info is readily available in the building. I told him it was not stock and the guy just has to have the wits to get the book..

Either way, I went to Blumenthals in OKC and got it taken care of. I suppose I knew I should have gone there in the first place.

Last edited by Avette4me; 12-05-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:14 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Avette4me
So, he doesn't need to know an auto from a stick?.
Need? Actually the way parts places computers are set up, No he actually doesnt need to know one from the other.

Should he know? Absolutely he should. But lets not kid ourselves into believing that to work at a chain autoparts place like an O'Reilley or Autozone that you need to know thing one about cars.

I've gone to parts places where I say Corvette and they start looking under Chrysler for it on the computer.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, try owning a Vette in a country where they were never sold. If I need spares for my '76 I have three suppliers in the whole of the country. Or I have to get stuff shipped from the USA.

Our only national parts shops are called Halfords and the guys serving in Halfords stores still point at aeroplanes.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

But lets not kid ourselves into believing that to work at a chain autoparts place like an O'Reilley or Autozone that you need to know thing one about cars.
Like I said in the title - parts guys ain't what they used to be....
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default That information gets you only part of the way

I want a 12 inch 10 spline disc is really not adequate if that's all thats supplied..I would immediately come back with 'what color'..... How would anyone come up with the correct disc with that information..you also need to know the diameter of the spline { 1 in...1 1/16, 1 1/8,..all the way to 1 1/2} ...not only the number of teeth on it. How the hell do you expect any one behind the counter to know that or do you think its better to look up all the 12 in. discs and drag them out for your selection....

PS, we probably also had it in stock,..but what color did you want...I could custom rattle can it to your color...

no offense gentlemen, but there's 2 sides....
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I want a 12 inch 10 spline disc is really not adequate if that's all thats supplied..I would immediately come back with 'what color'.....
There was a bit more to it than that.

We had gone through the year, model, etc. etc. etc. and I had expleined it wasn't stock etc. etc. etc.. After all that he asked about it being an automatic or standard. I knew I didn't have time, nor did he so I just thanked him and walked.

Like I said a couple of times in this thread, I have a non stock vette and a '58 pickup so I'm used to people not knowing right away. I've gotten to know a couple of the guys there that get their books out and can be some good help. He just wasn't there...
Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 PM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glassbowtie77
I'd give Napa a try, they usually have what you need, if not and you don't mind shopping on line then Summit is the way to go.
I think all chains fall far short of what they used to be. Having been a parts-man before, I guess I have certain expectations. I go in to a store, EXPECTING that the guy behind the counter actually knows what he's doing. And more times than not, I end up leaving with the wrong part, or just plain leaving due to frustration. I've gone to online ordering too...but even that has it's pitfalls. If it's not the right part, you have to deal with the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a new one. It's just a pain in the butt all the way around. It's a good thing I enjoy it though!

I went in to NAPA today, getting some sand paper for the Vette, and I just asked about price and availability of a battery. I told the kid that it was converted to a top-post style some time ago. He was a bit confused. I just asked what group of battery it was, and he had no clue. He called in another guy to the rescue. They eventually were able to get me the group number, and then a price on the battery. $148.00!! I almost choked!! The one guy led me over to where the batteries were, and there was a price sticker under the battery...$104.00. I asked the guy to confirm the price, which he did, and I pointed out the obvious sticker price......"Oh, that's an OLD sticker....guess I need to check and see if all of the other batteries are priced wrong". I'm like, "what the..??!". For an extra $10, I could end up with an Optima battery!! They just lost a sale from me. If I was the guy, I would have at least OFFERED to sell for the sticker price....but alas, no. You don't get that BS buying online!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

There aren't any Parts Men anymore. They are parts pullers, they follow the bread crumbs of their computer system's decision tree until it tells what bin to go to.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Smokehouse69
There aren't any Parts Men anymore. They are parts pullers, they follow the bread crumbs of their computer system's decision tree until it tells what bin to go to.
For the most part, they are just shelf monkeys.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:20 AM
kylebuck89
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

as a former parts guy at advance auto i will say its not always the person behind the counters fault.
The way you look up a part on the computer is by year/make/model.Its difficult to look up a set of brakes for a Ford 9" inch rear end when you dont know year and which cars came with that specific axle.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
But these new kids could do better if the company would provide some better software for them to use. The only way to get into the computers is to enter the car and year. In the case of the OP if the kid could have entered 12" clutch , 10 spline it should have brought up all choices with those parameters. Might not have been any choices but then again there might have been. I think these company's are losing lots of sales.
Originally Posted by joebuck
as a former parts guy at advance auto i will say its not always the person behind the counters fault.
The way you look up a part on the computer is by year/make/model.Its difficult to look up a set of brakes for a Ford 9" inch rear end when you dont know year and which cars came with that specific axle.
That was my point , if the computer was setup so you could enter Ford 9" and then brake shoes you should then arrive with a couple part numbers the customer could then choose from.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BenUK
Our only national parts shops are called Halfords and the guys serving in Halfords stores still point at aeroplanes.

Best description of of clueless counter kids EVER!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Entropy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

He knows what a clutch is (probably) but the machine that tells him what is in stock doesnt list stock by diameter, or spline count. but rather by the vehicle in which it was installed.

This is not his fault.

For alot of us, buying parts for our cars requires knowing what to ask for, and that does not mean asking for something that never existed in our cars to begin with especially when we know damned well that the talent behind the counter is not what it once was.
I don't feel bad for a kid who's too much of a dumbass to understand the correct questions to ask. Parts guys need to be car guys. period.

What the hell is the kid going to do if somebody comes in looking for parts for an International Harvester?

Get notified of new replies

To rant - parts guys ain't what they used to be...

Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by markids77
A couple things to consider... our cars are older than many parts weenies. For these people "speed parts" means a new ecm reflash with larger injectors and a throttle body. Oh, and purple neon underneath. Carburetors are dead,guys. We are no longer in the mainstream, or even most tributaries. Specialty shops; whether local or internet based are our new reality. Can't blame the kids for lack of life experience, or the businesses for not catering to our hobby. We're not very large volume consumers even taken as a complete population!
A voice of sanity. Over 90% of volume is for cars/trucks less than 10 years of age.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Silent One
Instructor

Default Don't be so quick to lump all together...

I would be cautious lumping all chain stores into the horrible category. In fact, I have an O'Reilly's nearby where at least two of the parts counter attendants are true "car guys" and know their stuff. In fact, they ordered a dealer only part for me at a cost less than the online resalers and even corrected the dealer parts counter guy when he tried to sell the wrong part. Now as far as the zone and advanced stores, they are a completely different story.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 AM
lilmonster
Racer

I guess I'm lucky, my local kragens has a pro counter.
The guy that runs it is a big car guy, he even races in his off time.

Quick Reply: rant - parts guys ain't what they used to be...