Sponsored by:

gas tank sealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 PM
crossed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank sealer

Hello folks, hope you had a good thanksgiving!

Just a quick question, Has anyone here ever used a gas tank sealer, and if so, what kind was it and what were the results? I have 2 people at work who have used them in the past and years later have not experienced any trouble from it. My problem is that they dont remember which they used, only that it was from Eastwood.

On the Eastwood site I found these:http://search.eastwood.com/search?as...&p=Q&ts=custom

Im just wondering which would be best for me. The car had a tank full of water when I bought it, and the inside has surface rust. I have the tank removed (no build sheet btw ), and Im getting a carb tomorrow, but need to get the tank sealed.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:55 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Crossed-

Personally if you have the tank out it would almost make sense to replace it. Sealers will work for a while but if you are covering a rust hole with it you will have a problem down the road. We have the tanks in the forum special price section on our site, here is the link if interested: http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...rds=gas%20tank

Willcox
Old 11-29-2009, 10:48 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I used this one http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAI...ductinfo/FTRK/

When I got my car the tank was removed and had a dead frog in it. The kit was $49 then. I cleaned the inside using a toilet brush and then dried it using a hair drier. It looked great when I finished and 4 years later no leaks and no fumes.

good luck,

john
Old 11-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Tony24
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Crossed-

Personally if you have the tank out it would almost make sense to replace it. Sealers will work for a while but if you are covering a rust hole with it you will have a problem down the road. We have the tanks in the forum special price section on our site, here is the link if interested: http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...rds=gas%20tank

Willcox
I agree with Willcox, just for peace of mind I replaced my tank. Plus the coating is a few day process.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony24
I agree with Willcox, just for peace of mind I replaced my tank. Plus the coating is a few day process.
I'll third that. Just replace it and be done.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Grumpyoldguy
5th Gear

As previously stated, replacement is your best bet by far, however, if you decide to proceed with the sealer alternative, I have had good results using the POR 15 tank liner product.
Whatever you decide good luck with your project: Grumpy
Old 01-21-2010, 03:27 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2 cents on this subject...
If you decide to use a tank sealer, or anyone else who has NEVER put in gas/ethenol into that tank, or you will have problems.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
snmnjones
Intermediate

I agree with replacing the tank. Thhe cost is relatively inexpensive. I just replaced my tank with a new one which I purchased from Ecklers. As insurance I coated the new tank with a sealer from Ecklers. Thhis may be a habit from the old days when I built motorccles and after market motorcycle tanks were notorious for having pin hole leaks that would destroyh my paint job.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

This is a no-brainer. Replace the tank with a new one. New tanks are not that expensive. Maybe $240.

You have to remove the spare tire carrier. Not too difficult. Next you have to get rid of the exhaust pipes and mufflers. A sawzall or the equivalent will cut the exhaust pipes for removal. It's a little hassle to get the tank out.. It's a close fit, but it will come out. If you have a 70 or newer, you have to cut the vapor recovery rubber hoses on the driver's side...you won't see them too easily.

When you get the old tank out, try to save...not harm the factory assembly sheet. It'll be on top of the old tank. It really can add a lot of value for a old C3.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

you know i have done it both ways....sealer and new tanks....now i take them to radiator shop and have them clean it and pressure test it......if it passes the test i use it and dont worry about it.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I used gas tank sealer from JC Whitney to seal a leaky tank in a 62 Ford about 20 years ago. I used the type that was resistant to ethanol (and almost all gas has 10% ethonal in this state). Never had a problem with it still holds gas to thid day believe it or not! There was no replacement tank available for this car, so that is why I went this route. Actually, the tank I fixed WAS the best replacement I could find at the time. Anyway, I put a bunch of gravel in the tank and shook it for a long time ..took a break and came back and shook it again for a long time, then emptied it out. I then washed it out with water and put it in the hot sun to dry which it did in almost no time. The gravel did a great job cleaning the rust out. I just had pinholes here and there and some of them I had to cover with tape. I applied two or three treatments with the solution. It was white. Let it dry as per the directions. That's about all I can tell you. There was nothing on the can other than a white label that read: 'gas tank sealer' which I recall being wierd at the time ..and some simple directions.

That said, for a Corvette, I'd probably replace the tank if it's pretty bad.

Mark G
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
crossed
Advanced

My tank doesn't have any leaks at all. The gas cap seal went bad and the tank filled with water for a few months. It went unnoticed until the next time it was started and, as im sure you can imagine, didn't run very well.

The tank was in perfect condition before filling with water, and the water sat for a few months leaving surface rust. After doing some more reading around about it Ive decided to get some nails and shake it up for a long time to scour the sides really good, and then clean it up with muratic acid.

Originally, I was wanting the tank sealer just to make sure I didn't worry about leaving any rust or anything on the inside of the tank. From what I read, the nails/muratic acid does a pretty good job. When it warms up Im just going to try the good cleaning and if im still worried Ill get some sealer for it just to make myself feel better.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Use phosphoric acid instead and then neutralize it with washing soda.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

most guys use a chain to scuff the inside.....that way when you grab it to remove it you are assured you have removed all of it
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
crossed
Advanced

Today was my first day off with the temp above 40 and man was it a good one... mid 60's all afternoon!

Bad part was that I scoured the inside of the tank really good for about an hour and a half and then when I went to look inside I saw light peeping in from the corners...

Guess Im ordering a new tank after all...I guess the 38 year old tank didnt take the rust as well as I though!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Fonz69
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a new tank!

Think of all that rust and junk that might come loose and clog up your lines

Get notified of new replies

To gas tank sealer

Quick Reply: gas tank sealer