refinishing dash and hard surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Al Davis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refinishing dash and hard surfaces

I have a 79 Vette that I am going to clone into a 78
Pace Car. Ecklers has the correct carpet, door panels, seat foam and leather. The interior is oyster now. My dash is good and I want to spray it silver with the other hard parts. I see that there's a primer, paint and clear coat. Has anyone done this, is it a durable finish, any tips?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Plastic parts are not painted, they are dyed. If your dash has been 'painted' some time in the past, you will have to paint it again. Otherwise buy some vinyl dye and a bottle sprayer and have at it.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:32 PM
69Zlover
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Plastic parts are not painted, they are dyed. If your dash has been 'painted' some time in the past, you will have to paint it again. Otherwise buy some vinyl dye and a bottle sprayer and have at it.
Dyed. So in theory I can dye my most excellent brown parts black and they will look good? I have pondering this myself only with paint, thank god I research before jumping on things. I priced changing my interior color to black and I had a mini stroke figuratively speaking. All my high dollar plastic is perfect but brown. Where would one get this dye? I’m stoked right now
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

69, I got my interior dye from Wilcox and it came out real good. Mine is also oyster. I did all the dash, doors, interior trim in oyster. My dash was black on top so I painted that black. I did not dye the carpet....maybe some other day. 3 cans did the whole interior minus the seats. each can is 15 bucks. use light coats, about 2-3 and it will look real good. clean all the armour all off first.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Yes. You can change black to white, and black again, if you want. Buy SEM 'Color Coat' dye and a Preval bottle/gas-cannister sprayer at most professional auto body paint supply stores. If the parts are not damaged, a good cleaning with detergent/rinse/dry and being shot with a light-covering coat or two of dye will make them look like new.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
69Zlover
Advanced

Right on you made my day. Best news I have got in a long time
Old 11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
69Zlover
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgood
clean all the armour all off first.
Good tip I'm sure I would have spaced that one in my haste
Old 11-16-2009, 07:27 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I dyed my dash pad in my 79 red to bring back the faded red color. That was several years ago, and you still wouldn't know it. Follow the steps layed out above for prep and you will be fine.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Charley - sorry - but can you clarify.......are you saying that once you go with paint you cannot dye it and that you have to stay with paint again.. or that if you paint it, it will peel and require re-doing..
Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Vinyl dye bonds with plastic surfaces. Paint is a coating that adheres to many types of surfaces. If you paint a plastic part, then there is no longer any plastic for dye to bond with...dye would just become another 'coating' that can peel and chip. If you think a part may have been painted, see if you can 'pick off' a piece of it from a hidden edge or area that isn't visible. If you can use some implement to create a "chip", then it wasn't dyed. IMO, if you find that it has been painted previously, it is probably better to continue to apply paint to re-color it.....until the surface grain disappears.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Leung
Burning Brakes

Sounds like something I will have to get around to next summer

Get notified of new replies

To refinishing dash and hard surfaces

Quick Reply: refinishing dash and hard surfaces