C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weatherstrip replacement started-PICs, observations, a question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Looks good. I'd like to see Wilcox or CRC weatherstrip sometime. The aftermarket ones I have bought (not used) and others I've seen were not that great. I bought some NOS GM for the front A-pillar and they are great! I'm thinking of shelling out for NOS door gaskets too. I heard someone say the later GM NOS weatherstrips weren't very good. Any truth to that??

Thanks

Mark G
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
Looks good. I'd like to see Wilcox or CRC weatherstrip sometime. The aftermarket ones I have bought (not used) and others I've seen were not that great. I bought some NOS GM for the front A-pillar and they are great! I'm thinking of shelling out for NOS door gaskets too. I heard someone say the later GM NOS weatherstrips weren't very good. Any truth to that??

Thanks

Mark G
Hey Mark,
This is CRC ws, and that is what Willcox sells. I bought mine from a forum member who had some left over from a full restoration project. I have the hood ledge, and left door but still need to buy the pass door & T-Tops ws.
NOS are great, but cost a lot more. So far I'm very happy with the CRC stuff.
Glenn
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

I needed to adjust the side windows with the new WS in place. There was a large gap at the rear WS. On the drivers side both the tilt and inboard-outboard adjustments were needed. See pics of the new position on the bolts. By moving them outward, the top of the window tilts inward. It took some time and needed to "massage", with a small piece of 2X4 and a sledge hammer, the top rear of the inside edge of the door by tapping it toward the outside of the door, in essence pushing the bolts farther outward. I could not get a good seal against the rear side WS. This was needed on both sides. I still did not get a complete seal and needed to insert a strip of foam rubber in the ws to push the ws out more. The front edge sealed fine.
Rear bolts in new position.

Front bolts.

The bolts for tilt adjustment.

I tilted the window in as far as possible at the rear without getting the complete seal. Is there something I missed? I followed the Chassis manual instructions and it's an easy adjustment, just not sure why I can't get the correct seal.
Glenn
Old 11-25-2009, 05:25 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

I'm giving this a bump up to get any thoughts on why I can't get the rear edges of the side glass to seal tight against the rear side WS's.
I can feel air coming in when driving.
Thanks, Glenn
Old 11-27-2009, 02:00 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Continuing with the WS install, I did the hood today. You can see it too is dried out & cracked.

Mark both sides with some tape where the WS ends before removing the old ws. I taped the new ws over the old to check if it was the same length, which it was.

After the old ws is removed and the old adhesive is cleaned up I suggest pre taping pieces of tape all around the hood about 3-4 inches apart BEFORE you start to glue the new ws in place. This helps greatly because the ws adhesive dries so quickly.

I glued about 8-10 inches at a time as I worked my way around the hood. Leave the tape on for an hour or so just to make sure the adhesive is completely dry.

New ws in place.

Left door will be next.
Glenn
Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal - thanks for the pics/overview
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
mrandig
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Related Questions

Hi Guys:

Just a couple of rookie questions on the subject (A-Pillar W/Strip), since I"m in the middle of the same project on my first vette:

1. I drilled the blow-off clips out and got them off; anybody have advice on putting them back on? I'm searching for small enough rivets, but didn't know if screws were an option...
2. Anybody have advice on how to re-coat the blowout clips?
3. On the weatherstripping itself, do the screws actually hold down the W/S or just go through to hold the channel?

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Vogast
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
I'm giving this a bump up to get any thoughts on why I can't get the rear edges of the side glass to seal tight against the rear side WS's.
I can feel air coming in when driving.
Thanks, Glenn
Old thread I know but how did you solve it?

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip replacement started-PICs, observations, a question.