C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y'all are going to tell me to walk the plank...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 PM
WayneB_LT1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safe to say you are going to walk your own plank over the next few years as in taking a financial beating on buying a new, six cylinder Camaro. Oh well, it's just paper, you can go out tomorrow and make some more.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the Camaro is a nicley done car. I would only consider a performace V8 package; however that's just me. I think if your tired of playing with the Vette then you just need to go for it. Many of us have done the same. I always come back to the C-3. Some have been able to keep the C-3 and move to another performance car. may you can do that same...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by FatCat Red 25th
I think the Camaro is a nicley done car. I would only consider a performace V8 package; however that's just me. I think if your tired of playing with the Vette then you just need to go for it. Many of us have done the same. I always come back to the C-3. Some have been able to keep the C-3 and move to another performance car. may you can do that same...

Everytime I sold or traded a Vette I've owned, I regretted it at a later time. furthermore, I always came back to the C3's. Don't know your situation but if it were my decision, I would keep the Vette and buy the Camaro even if it meant having to wait to get what I really want (option-wise). My 2 cents only.

Good luck with your decision

Terry

Last edited by HOOAH; 10-27-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalway
Well remember that V8 had a bit more torque, too.

I owned a '94 Firebird V6 and a '95 Camaro Z28. The Firebird was kinda cool, but didn't have enough for me. The Z28 was freaking awesome. The RS model I test drove with the paddle shifters had just about as much acceleration as that Z28, but I think the traction control makes it seem way more docile. I was trying to find the button to turn that off...

Anyone driven the new camaro with a stick yet? They're a lil harder to find here in SoCal because all the rich ***** don't care about an extra grand for a six speed auto.

Remember the Camaro has a Cadillac V6 instead of that old 3.4L thing or the 3.8L Buick. It has almost 2x as much power as the old 3.4 and 50% more power than the 3.8L. Pretty neat engine. Also, I've never really noticed as much brute force from a DOHC versus an OHV.
The 95 Z28 you had was an LT1 350 rated at 265 hp. The last of the Z28s (98-02) were LS1s rated at 305-310 hp. Big difference between those two engines in terms of power. A V6 is a V6, whether it's the 3.4L, 3.8L or the "Cadillac" V6. No low end torque. BTW, the only thing the Camaro 3.8L V6 had in common with the Buick 3.8L V6 was the displacement. Two different engines. Do you have any performance information on the V6 car? 0-60? Quarter mile? The dealer I was talking with claimed the car could run high 14's. That isn't very stout performance for a "300 hp" car.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 PM
WillEE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advise would be that if you're buying the 6 cyl. cause you can't afford or don't want to spend the extra cash for the V8 then to wait a few months for a used V8 for the same or less than a new 6cyl car. The 6cyl. Camaro will beat a V-8 Mustang so it's no slouch by any means but just give some about it and don't be one of those people that says, "I shoulda had a V-8." Also - resale on the V8 will be much higher 5-10 years from now?

The Camaro is far superior in both the looks and performance categories to the Mustang and the Challenger so whoever said otherwise don't pay any attention to that comment. The '10 stang looks like the '09 stang (which looked fine but chinsey the closer you get) but after rear-ending a p/u truck and squishing the hood. The Challenger looks awesome from the front, back and top but the doors & sides look like they were cut out of a sheet of plywood (no curvature and very bland). So you're definitely making the right choice on the Camaro but just think you should highly consider the V-8 version. The 6spd. auto tranny sounds intersting but manual will be much funner to drive so long as you're not commuing in 90 min+ frwy bumper traffic every day.

Last edited by WillEE; 10-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Nick The Great
Melting Slicks

You're starting to see more Camaros here in Des Moines, but I still turn and look at them!

Yeah sure, a V6 Automatic Transmission is a pansy car, but it'll still be a blast to drive. The V8 Manual would be the most fun, and probably least practical. Which is why you're not getting the ZR-1, right? Besides, wouldn't that V6 Camaro blow the doors off his 81 Vette???

Me, if I wasn't a pickup kind of guy, my 'family' car would be a CTS-V!

Get the Camaro and show us pictures!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Practical is a word that has been mentioned too often.

Reason behind an automagic would be if I was with someone and I couldn't drive... what if they can't drive stick... Bleh! The V6 with a manual would still be a blast and far safer and reliable than my ole C3.

Also, potential reliability... I would bet less is likely to break with the V6, granted there's a massive warranty, I don't wanna have to use it. :P

This is more along the lines to have a decent car to drive every day so I can quit spending so much on keeping the '81 driving every day.

Waiting till I can afford it isn't really the issue, either. I can afford the V8 model, I just don't feel the need for it. The down payment from selling the Vette could make a V8 model's payments no problem, but those payments will be like half as much with the V6. Also the V6 gets nearly 30mpg... That's pretty sweet.

I'll eventually probably get another C3, but it'll be one already restomodded because I'm tired of having to do it myself!

Oh and 0-60 in the V6 is like 6.1 seconds. Low 14's in the 1/4 mile is what I'm hearing, also. That's no slouch. The '82 vette took like 8 seconds to get to 60...

Last edited by Kalway; 10-28-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 PM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with your new ride. I know if I could only have one car it would not be my 81 Corvette. I love that car but it has no sack makes a ton of noise and rides like crap. it is better than the 84 corvette i had though
Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
johnmb
Racer

".good thing that not everyone uses the size of their engine to gauge their manhood."

How's that Blue Flame Six working out for you?

:-)

John
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the new Camaro. Wife had a 6cyl '05 Mustang conv, and it was plenty quick. I wished we'd have gotten a manual trans, for when I drove it!

That said, I think the idea about waiting a year and buying a used V8 is just plain good advice.

On the other hand, if it were me, I'd be scouring the web for a 1967 SS convertible 4-speed Camaro. $25 grand will buy you a nice one of those, and in 2 years it will still be worth $25 grand (or even a little more!)

Just my 2c! If you get the new one, come back and post some pictures please!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 AM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Avis car rental is starting to dump the fleet of 6 bangers and SS models as we speak. I know that in the Dallas Ft Worth hub they have 100 plus 6's and almost 200 SS to get rid of. They started getting them back in April before the Dealers saw the first car. I agree that the 6 is nice for what it is but it is a chick car like a Berlinetta or a Fiero. I drove the SS back in April and really was hot for one, but I ended up with my 77' white and red with rallye wheels Vette . Just yesterday I was at the light next to a new Holden/Camaro and I'm so glad that notion passed. I've got no monthly payment and $100 per yr to insure. Go for the SS there are sure to be some deals with the rentals being dropped! Good Luck !
Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
WayneB_LT1
Instructor

You can argue all day about the power and quality of that particular six cylinder but at the end of the day, when it comes time to sell, "six cyclinder" will draw about 1 /100th of the buyers than "eight cyclinder" will. If you have to go Camaro, a chrome bumper Z28 would be my move. I had 67-72 Camaro's and Firebirds when I was younger, you get the creature comforts, the extra room, and you won't take a financial beating in depreciation (probably appreciate), easy to resell also.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

I'm not really looking to invest in to a car...

Find me a financing for a 40 year old car. :P

Again, gas mileage. The V8 only gets 16/25 or 16/24, the 6 gets 17/29. I'd rather the gas mileage, personally.

Y'all also forget to mention insurance rates...

In the end I'll end up spending more on just OWNING an SS. Plus, whenever I get rid of it it'll likely just end up as a trade in. If it doesn't get smashed, like my previous f bodies.

Also, I've spent probably close to $10,000 on my vette in the last two years. Waiting is also going to cost me MORE money, in the end.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Vampyre
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with your new Camaro...

But you really cannot compare the reliably and safety of a newer car vs. an older car,
if you want to compare the Camaro to something, at least pick a car that was made within the last 2 years..

one last parting word….

Get the V8, you will regret not getting it… whether you need the extra power or not…
Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
toolman1981
Racer

Start Walking!

see ya!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

I'll make a deal with ya persistent buggers.

If I can get more than 6k for my '81, I'll consider the V8.
If I can't get more than 6k, too bad.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the V8. It doesn't matter how much you pay for the car, you won't be happy in the end. If you really want to get the V6 then at least wait a year or two and get one used.

You're talking 100 less HP in a really heavy car. People love to brag about the 6 being 300+ Hp, but they forget it is hauling around 3,800 lb.

A Hyundai Genesis is faster and cheaper

http://tinyurl.com/yllfyw9

Get notified of new replies

To Y'all are going to tell me to walk the plank...

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 PM
NJVette77
Drifting

What the hell is "automagic?"
Old 10-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Kellys~hotrods
Racer

Originally Posted by Kalway
So I'm going to go for a Cybernetic Gray 1LT Camaro. 304hp, independent rear suspension... Do I really needa to name off all the features again? It has 300+ hp for less than 25k.
Until now I did not realize the new Camaro has IRS. I took a look at the rear sub frame assembly, looks like some hot rodders may be able to adapt this for projects when wrecked cars begin to show up at recyclers. Cool stuff.

As for the Camaro you want, you are the one that has to drive it every day so get what you like, not what we forum members, the wife or g/f, or anyone else likes. You have to write the checks to pay for it so purchase the car that you will enjoy.

Having said that, if I were looking for a 2010 Camaro, I would enjoy the SS. Good luck on the sale and purchase!

Kelly
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Sorry,but I consider the V6 Camaro to be a bit of a little girl's car,kinda like the wife's V6 Mustang.No self respecting man should be driving a six cylinder unless all the cylinders are in a row or it burns diesel...
Have you seen the HP ratings for the new camaro 6 cylinder?

I wouldn't try to outrun one in a bone stock 180-190 HP C3.

Quick Reply: Y'all are going to tell me to walk the plank...