Tell me more about power coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default Tell me more about power coating

Okay,
I know the basics but tell me more, how well does it hold up on frames, what kind of life span does it have,
How well does the part have to be cleaned before powder coating?
Can you paint over it?

On large parts like a frame how do they heat it?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bats,
I'll start.
What ever you coat needs to be very clean. I feel the coating doesn't hide imperfections in fact I think it magnifies them.
I had my frame powder coated after stripping it myself. It was coated with semi-gloss but was still a little too shiny for the look I was after. I scuffed it with 400 ( a bit of a job) and painted it with Krylon #1613.
I have marred the Krylon (it touches up great) putting the car back together but not the powder coating.
I like it!
Regards,
Alan

Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Highwayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be powder coating my frame in about 2-3 weeks. I've opted to have it chemically cleaned before coating it. You will have adherence problems any place there is any oil/grease. I'll keep tabs on your thread for my own edification.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Flying Low
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A shop that does powder coating for me at work has an oven large enough for a car frame. useually parts that big are done in a batch type oven rather than a conveyor like would be used for high volume and small parts.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

I have never done anything as largea as a frame, I have done engine parts myself with a cheap gun and powder. I baked it in a gas oven. The parts held up well. no chipping, no wear on the pulleys or belt squealing. Here are some pictures.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind there is NO primer for powder coating. As was said before, if the metal isn't perfect, or coated completely, water will have a chance to get under the powder coat allowing it to be "boiled" off by rust.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Powder coating is more of a 'convenience' thing for a better cosmetic condition of the paint. The coating is as smooth as the part. So, if you can't see it, why do it? It's much more expensive to do; but, you just ship it off to someone else and it comes back painted. Why not just ship it off to a paint shop and let them blast it and spray paint it? That would be much less expensive. Powder coating is akin to using big expensive power cables and gold connectors for your car stereo...you definitely don't need them; but they look [to some folks]. Similarly, you can tell folks that your frame is powder coated...which sounds ...but no one can really see it to tell any difference. And, as Alan71 mentioned, if you don't 'pretty-up' the frame first, it may end up with defects that you notice more.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by earthquake68
water will have a chance to get under the powder coat allowing it to be "boiled" off by rust.
Glad you said that I always wondered about that. I would think any surface coating could create an undetectable area that could hold water and cause the frame to rust.
I had a customer that bought an 80 brand new and went straight to Zeibart and had the frame coated. Years later when I was working on the car I saw a little bubble and pushed on it and water came out. I pushed a little harder and my thumb went through. I called him and had him come over as I went over the frame with a welding hammer ........"swiss cheese"....he was sick and very angry.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Powder coating is more of a 'convenience' thing for a better cosmetic condition of the paint. The coating is as smooth as the part. So, if you can't see it, why do it? It's much more expensive to do; but, you just ship it off to someone else and it comes back painted. Why not just ship it off to a paint shop and let them blast it and spray paint it? That would be much less expensive. Powder coating is akin to using big expensive power cables and gold connectors for your car stereo...you definitely don't need them; but they look [to some folks]. Similarly, you can tell folks that your frame is powder coated...which sounds ...but no one can really see it to tell any difference. And, as Alan71 mentioned, if you don't 'pretty-up' the frame first, it may end up with defects that you notice more.
Like anything else, if the prep work is inadequate, the final product will be inferior, whether it's paint or powder coating. Powder coating is more resiliant than paint, has a harder finish and provdes better protection for the underlying part. The cost is generally not unjustifiably higher, since in any case, the prep work is the same, and the more labor-intensive (and expensive) part of the process. I had my OEM Z06 wheels powder coated black and the finish is very, very strong and the coating is clearly much "thicker" than paint. Use on a frame makes a lot of sense since it is always exposed to the elements "down low" and this coating should resist chips and scratches much better than paint ever could.

I'm not sure anyone has powder coating done so they can boast about it, or because it's "cool" as 71Vette implies here, but for the better characteristics offered by powder coating relative to paint. We'd all like to think that our cars will still be driven in another 40 years, and I think it makes sense to apply the most resiliant, long-lasting coatings available. Clearly, powder coating is superior to paint.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

FYI: As for the prep work everyone is right it has to be DONE. I have contacted a gut in Decatur, IL. for doing our Chevelle Frame he quoted me $350.00 for a complete job and the suspension parts also to be sent, this includes sandblasting the complete unit then having it transported to his facility. He does alot of stuff for some big heavy equiptment manufactures and has the oven big enough to do the big stuff. So shop around.

Good Luck wro87
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

I would love to be able to do small parts at home and plan on setting that up soon. Powder coating is a lot more durable and lasting. The PO of my car had the frame stripped,blasted,primed & painted just before he bailed on the project and its already chipped and scratched and the car is not even back together yet, a brake line drip has a big spot all bubbled and peeled. I dont know for sure but from the cost that members in here have said they paid for both processes, its not that much more to powder coat it. Also if you search online for powder you will find tones of choices and options on colors and types of powder.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravine Speed
Like anything else, if the prep work is inadequate, the final product will be inferior, whether it's paint or powder coating. Powder coating is more resiliant than paint, has a harder finish and provdes better protection for the underlying part. The cost is generally not unjustifiably higher, since in any case, the prep work is the same, and the more labor-intensive (and expensive) part of the process. I had my OEM Z06 wheels powder coated black and the finish is very, very strong and the coating is clearly much "thicker" than paint. Use on a frame makes a lot of sense since it is always exposed to the elements "down low" and this coating should resist chips and scratches much better than paint ever could.

I'm not sure anyone has powder coating done so they can boast about it, or because it's "cool" as 71Vette implies here, but for the better characteristics offered by powder coating relative to paint. We'd all like to think that our cars will still be driven in another 40 years, and I think it makes sense to apply the most resiliant, long-lasting coatings available. Clearly, powder coating is superior to paint.

Glad someone took a counterpoint on it,
While lots of mods are done for no other reason than looking "cool"
I was asking about powder coat for personal reasons I will get to in a moment,
If prep is the same and "right" the key to any coating, painting or plating then I don't believe anyone in the know will try to say a painted frame is better or will out last a powder coated one,
Or I should word that as powder coating will outlast paint on a frame,
Next, a shiny finish, be it paint, coating or plating will always show off flaws so that is a moot point,

My dad is 83 one of the smartest fellows I know, was an aircraft tech and machinist, still spends his days in his shop,
However, if my dad doesn't personally like something IE he digs small bocks so any mention I make of a BB he acts like they are all junk...period.
I believe many people are this way, if they don't personally like it they come off like it's junk even when it's not, even at the risk of looking narrow minded and foolish.

400hp427vette,
That is one hell of a good looking engine..
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 400hp427vette

very nice!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 45 Posts

For any exterior metal, or engine part powdercoating is much much better than paint, it is thicker and harder, will outlast any paint by many years and usually give a much better and smoother finish. Since powdercoating is oven baked on it is perfect for high heat areas like engine or exhaust parts. But as the other posts said, prep is very important, but any good powdercoater will blast any imperfections off the item you are powdercoating giving it a perfect finish. Powdercoating is also great for anything (metal) on the underside of the car as it will ward off the elements much better than paint. It does cost more, but lasts much longer.

Air cleaner and valve covers coated to match car and then clear powdercoated, just wipe with a wet cloth, clean as new. The intake manifold and carb are also powdercoated (endurashine) Shine like chrome and never have to be polished.

Spinners powdercoated to match car, no dings in paint in 2 years.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Impressive and effective use of powder-coating...done well and in places where folks can see and appreciate it.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
73 stingray
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a eastwoods standard gun and I love it! I have powder coated many parts on my rear sus.
I buy most powder at Powder by the Pound.com
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

For those that do powder coating in their own garage...does it emit fumes from the oven? I have a powder coat gun that I have never used but am setting up my garage now for an oven. Does it need to vent?

Get notified of new replies

To Tell me more about power coating

Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

When spraying powder coat, its good to vent the area as it can get messy. Baking in the oven just needs to vented if using a gas one. I have never tried in a electric one.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

A good powder coat is the bomb, way better than any wet spray technology. I had my frame powder coated and used Eastwood Extreme chassis paint on the control arms etc. If I ever do this again, everything will be powder coat as it is so much more durable and better looking overall.

Last edited by RobRace10; 10-22-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Spelling- to many drinks tonight
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

That's funny, around here any 10 year old vehicle that has a receiver hitch (powder coated) the hitch's are always rusty as hell and falling apart while the vehicle and vehicle frame are shiny and look great. That 'tough' coating holds moisture under it and isn't a very good rust preventitive compared to a zinc chromate self-etching primer. You may get a chip in the paint, but with zinc chromate primer, it won't rust around the chip. The other thing is, who is driving their corvette in the elements where they are worried about rust? I'm not antii-powder coating because I agree, it has a nice appearance, but real-life experience indicates it's not a superior rust preventer.

Mark G

Quick Reply: Tell me more about power coating