C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why C3 Corvette over a pre-built FFR 65 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 PM
gluvnaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why C3 Corvette over a pre-built FFR 65 coupe?

All,

I have been pretty silent on the boards but have been browsing for quite some time.

I have been considering a resto-mod 69-71 C3 and also the FFR 65 Coupe. http://www.factoryfive.com/coupehome.html

Why should I pick the vette?

Im not too concerned about re-sale value and depreciation, Im looking for a toy that will be a blast to drive.

Im looking to spend 20-30k.

Thanks for your inputs, they are greatly appreciated.
Andrew
Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by gluvnaa
...Why should I pick the vette?...
Why would you want the FFR?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All,

I have been pretty silent on the boards but have been browsing for quite some time.

I have been considering a resto-mod 69-71 C3 and also the FFR 65 Coupe. http://www.factoryfive.com/coupehome.html

Im not too concerned about re-sale value and depreciation, Im looking for a toy that will be a blast to drive.

Andrew

This quistion has no real answer to it from any body but you! These two cars are so different what is it you want dicide and go far it!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,354 Likes on 2,783 Posts

All,

Why would you ask this question on a Corvette Board?
Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

No one ever accused my 68 Roadster of being overly comfortable, but I hear those kit Cobras ride really bad.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Have you driven a '68-72 Vette vs an AC Cobra??

NIGHT and Day difference
Old 10-09-2009, 05:30 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason I'd choose a Vette is it's simply one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, the availability of parts, the sheer number of Vettes available, it's an American icon, there's really no limit as to what you can to do to it.
Glenn
Old 10-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had 4 C3's. Each one cost between $5200-$7500. An FFR is going to run about $20,000-$30,000. That's why I buy C3's. I will own an FFR car someday. I don't have one yet because of the money and also because half the fun is BUILDING the car, which I can't devote the time to right now. Time & money are what it boils down to.

Jay
Old 10-09-2009, 05:42 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Im looking for a toy that will be a blast to drive.
Neither one is a blast to drive. One is a kit car and the other is a clobbered up (most of the time) old car.

Buy yourself a newer Vette for that money and you will be a very happy man.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:47 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Andrew
You can get a lot of resto-mod Corvette for that kind of money. I doubt that you can do the same with the FFR 65. At the very least you need to ride in if you can't drive both of these cars. I'm going to guess that as crude as a C3 is by todays standards it's refined compared to the FFR 65.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
gluvnaa
Instructor

All,

Thank you to all who are providing meaningful inputs.

I have driven a C4 and liked it. I want to at least ride in each before I make my decision - but yes, thats a great point.

As far as the C3, Im not too concerned about 'modern' day handling but would do some sus. work to improve it. The C3 that Im inclined to is the BB 4spd.

I love the looks of both so driving each would be great deciding factor.

Keep the inputs coming,
Andrew
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Asking this on a vette forum might get some fires started

Even thought my roots are also deep into kit cars...ahem and replicas,
I staff here... www.priceofhistoys.com

I would take a ragged out c3 over a Coupe Daytona clone, but I was never a Cobra fan,

If you are building the vette as a restro rod then it can handle and perform just as well as the Daytona, and it's a "real" car not a replica, apples and oranges,

Both cars are very sweet, the coupe is cramped and more of a "art" car the vette is more refined, so to speak,

This is not something any of use can tell you, which one do you dig the most?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
jhong321
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do see your delema as i love the look of both cars too. I am also in the market for a c3. from what i have heard and seen the corvette c3 is way more refined then the kit car and if you are going on long drives (100 plus miles) i would stick with the corvette.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Refined?

When I think of kit cars the old Avenger (cheap Valkyrie version) on an old VW bug floor pan that looked and operated terribly, first comes to mind.
If you compare a C3 to something like that, then yes.

The modern stuff is amazing. For long trips get a good sitting pillow or better seats.

GT40 replicas with tig welded stainless monocoques and full blown Koni double adjustable coilovers (same as used in F1 racing), a/c, pretty well all the modern comforts and race proven geometry.

There are some Cobras running around here similarily set up, but with rectangular tube frames, LS7 engines, 6 speeds with hyd throwout, rear cv axles the good Koni coilovers, a/c, and the latest rubber.

As far as the the Daytona Coupes, the very few originals were all handbuilt, so they could probably be called the original high dollars kit cars.

Comparatively, a C3 is soapbox derby material, but I still keep them.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by noonie
Refined?

When I think of kit cars the old Avenger (cheap Valkyrie version) on an old VW bug floor pan that looked and operated terribly, first comes to mind.
If you compare a C3 to something like that, then yes.

The modern stuff is amazing. For long trips get a good sitting pillow or better seats.

GT40 replicas with tig welded stainless monocoques and full blown Koni double adjustable coilovers (same as used in F1 racing), a/c, pretty well all the modern comforts and race proven geometry.

There are some Cobras running around here similarily set up, but with rectangular tube frames, LS7 engines, 6 speeds with hyd throwout, rear cv axles the good Koni coilovers, a/c, and the latest rubber.

As far as the the Daytona Coupes, the very few originals were all handbuilt, so they could probably be called the original high dollars kit cars.

Comparatively, a C3 is soapbox derby material, but I still keep them.

Sorry...you missed the boat...only a little,
The fellow said a RESTRO-MOD C3 not stock.

To compare the stock c3 to a modern Race car replica isn't fair, apples and oranges so I end that right there.

We are talking "modern" Cobra coupe VS modded C3
Well that modded C3 could be a custom frame with state of the art suspension and drive train, engine, with a C3 body..a member here owns one like that and many other restro-mod C3's will keep right up with a Daytona Coupe replica, and do it more refined, and not need a pillow in the seat...

To compair a C3 to a GT-40 well then be fair go get a Greenwood Can-am Vette...or other road race prepped modded vette.

And yes, I do know the difference between a grass roots VW rebody like the Avenger or the just as poorly built Valkyrie and a new Replica of some exotic or super car.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 PM
ARGORW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was seriously considering the FFR roadster with a big shiny crate engine but after driving one (a very tight squeeze) and hearing my friend in Texas who has an FFR deal with the heat, lack of a top & windows, getting caught in the rain a few times, the C3 became the better choice for me. Already have a C6, so I have the performance vehicle. I consider the lines of the 65 cobra and the C3 both classicaly an art form, so the ability to put the top up, roll up the windows and turn on the AC, and own a true classic made the C3 decision easy for me for something to maintain and drive on weekends. Something about 500 hp in a 2300 lb car sure was tempting though!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't do boats.
Correct me if I misread, but the OP said

but would do some sus. work to improve it
not a

could be a custom frame with state of the art suspension and drive train
No not modern at all, to be a little more clear, I was pointing out the four corner coilovers on the 45 year old designs of these cars, infinately adjustable to whatever comfort/handling desired and to this day, is still a design standard almost unparalleled.

I suppose everyones' definition of refined is their own, but I sold my Pantera (older than the C3's) about a year ago, and I would call that refined compared to my C3's. Same thing, coilovers, but no cv's.

I hope you get the impression I like coilovers.

I am fortunate in the sense that down here, I see a lot of these replicas or kit cars or C3's on an almost daily basis.
You should come down here for a peek, there are Daytona coupes at a carshow every weekend.
The term kit car sort of has a tacky connotation, so a member from Jamestown, North Dakota may not have had an upclose peek at any of these kits. Could be a little informative and dispell that misconception.

BTW, the seat cushion thing was "tongue in cheek"
Anyone whining about a 100 mile drive might consider a Mercedes.

Get notified of new replies

To Why C3 Corvette over a pre-built FFR 65 coupe?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Kellys~hotrods
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the subject of price, you can get a complete and likely very nice C3 corvette for $30,000. I doubt you woult be able to finish the Factory Five car for that ammount of money. The starting price for the kit is roughly $20,000 leaving you only $10,000 for drivetrain, paint, etc. Not enough, in my opinion. I was looking in to the estimated finishing cost for one of thier other cars, the 33 roadster, and they state on thier website $37,000. I would assume this is not far from what it would cost to finish the coupe, and in any calculator I own $20,000 (cost of car kit) + $10,000 (left over for project) does not equal $37,000 (needed to finish the project). Just my $.02.

Kelly
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If money wasn't an issue then it would be the 65. Beautiful car. BUT....they say it cost 40k IN PARTS, they're careful in thier wording except for "you get everything to finish the car" . EXCEPT for engine, transmission, rear end and wheels, just the small items.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by noonie
I don't do boats.
Correct me if I misread, but the OP said

not a

No not modern at all, to be a little more clear, I was pointing out the four corner coilovers on the 45 year old designs of these cars, infinately adjustable to whatever comfort/handling desired and to this day, is still a design standard almost unparalleled.

I suppose everyones' definition of refined is their own, but I sold my Pantera (older than the C3's) about a year ago, and I would call that refined compared to my C3's. Same thing, coilovers, but no cv's.

I hope you get the impression I like coilovers.

I am fortunate in the sense that down here, I see a lot of these replicas or kit cars or C3's on an almost daily basis.
You should come down here for a peek, there are Daytona coupes at a carshow every weekend.
The term kit car sort of has a tacky connotation, so a member from Jamestown, North Dakota may not have had an upclose peek at any of these kits. Could be a little informative and dispell that misconception.

BTW, the seat cushion thing was "tongue in cheek"
Anyone whining about a 100 mile drive might consider a Mercedes.
Geez...if you posted the question that is one thing, get off the ego trip, you can't read the fellows mind and know his entire build plans on the c3..."some suspension work" can mean many things...unlike YOU I didn't pigeon hole the fellow, we simple do not know from the info he gave how far he wants to take his build of the C3,
Keep the comparison fair,
If the C3 is pretty much stock and the Daytona is state of the art then of course the Daytona wins...in performance, looks is a matter of personal taste...

As far as the pillow in the seat comment..don't back pedal, we both know most all replicas like their real counterparts are very cramped and uncomfortable.

Makes a person look foolish, to speculate about what a person has or has not seen,
Remember...I have been doing "kit cars" and "replicas"for over 30 years...I staff www.priceofhistoys.com
I am well aware of all the stigmas the early "nightmare in a box" VW based kits had,
Most were sadly hack jobs,
I assure you I know the difference between a "kit car" and a "replica"
But there are nicely build "kit cars" and hack job replicas.

I sure would hope you believe your stock Pantera was more refined than a stock C3 of the same year, compare that "old" Pantera to a c6 even some c5's and well then the Vette is more refined. ( some would say a nice c4 is more refined than a stock Pantera )
In many cases even a stock c3 of any year is more "refined" than a replica of a racer, I didn't say the c3 was higher performing just more refined.

My point is...a restro mod C3 can be up to par with Any Cobra or Daytona or surpass it,
All replicas are not created equal nor is every restro rod C3,
It simply isn't fair to compare apples to oranges.

I think we have made our points, I am done with this one,
Have a good one,

Quick Reply: Why C3 Corvette over a pre-built FFR 65 coupe?