Sponsored by:

Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
foooz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Help

Engine, tranny and radiator are in and I have almost everything hooked up but only get a click when I turn the key. The battery is charged. The click comes from a 4 pole relay on the firewall in the engine bay near the wiper motor. One wire comes from the ignition (out of firewall), one goes to the starter solenoid, one is currently hooked up to a ground on the wiper motor (not sure this is correct). The last wire I can not tell where it goes. I have reviewed the wiring diagram one of the forum members was kind enough to share but can not find this relay. Anyone know what this relay is and how to verify it is hooked up properly?
scott
Old 09-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

What year? Options?...etc
Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like your describing the seat belt interlock relay if the wires going to it are : purple,green,pink,black. Press the button for a 1 time start.
The 1 wire you mentioned : is it in the harness going down to the starter ? if so what color is it ?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 PM
foooz
Instructor

1974 coupe, auto with AC.
Looks like the wires have been redone at some time but here is what I have.
Front, passenger stab has white cloth insulation and appears to go to the starter solenoid.
Front, driver stab is black and goes to terminal block on the firewall below master cylinder booster.
Rear, passenger is red wire (looks like aftermarket, standard 14g wire) that is going to ground on wiper motor
Rear, driver (not hooked up) which I think is the right wire is also aftermarket red that is spliced into two wires near the terminal block. Both of these wires go into wire bundles, one appears to be going to the alternator, and one back into the harness heading towards the starter.
The relay looks to be new and does not really look like it belongs on the firewall.
thanks for any help you can give,
scott
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Does this car have points ignition or HEI.
Your profile says 75 , your other threads say 75.
Need Pictures.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
...Sounds like your describing the seat belt interlock relay...
If memory serves, you can reset the relay.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 PM
foooz
Instructor

Yes it is a 75 sorry too many coronas. There is not a reset button on the relay. I will get a picture and post. This relay looks like someone bubba'd in.
thanks,
scott
Old 10-03-2009, 12:31 AM
foooz
Instructor

Here are some pictures. You can see the relay. Let me know what you think.

scott
Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That is not a factory installed relay. From your description, it may be installed in the feed wire to the starter.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:35 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that's not stock. i'm thinking a cludged starter interrupt, starter disable. the single purple wire at the starter is what triggers it to engage, it's the outside small wire (i think- there's only 2) on the solenoid. that's fed from the harness. you got a mess. you'd have to trace the wire to the solenoid out, and the wires to the relay, to see where they go, and compare it to a wiring diagram. only way to be sure. to bad your not out here, bay area, could do it in short order.

tell me this, the red wire crimped to the orange wire, does that go to the relay in question? and IF SO, does it go to the blower motor? Could just be a bypass for the high speed fan relay, and not even related to the starter. I'd suggest trying to trace the ignition wire to the starter back, check with a volt meter or test light. If it goes hot when the ignition switch is turned to the 'crank' position. if it does, your problem is the starter. if it doesn't, the problem is in the ignition circuit. need a diagram to trace it. there are free diagrams available from a member, do a search for 'free wiring diagrams'.

Last edited by RunningMan373; 10-03-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 PM
foooz
Instructor

Little more research this morning. First need to clarify the stabs on the relay itself. Using the firewall as 1200 position there is a stab at 0300 (drivers side), one at 0600 (front of car) and one at 0900 (passsenger side). I am fairly certain the black wire attached at the 0300 position was not moved and is coming from the ignition switch. I do not believe I removed this wire from the relay while removing/installing the engine. When I turn the ignition switch to crank there is 12v at this position and a audible click from the relay. None of the other stabs have power when ignition switch is in crank position. I checked voltage at the purple wire at the starter solenoid and it is 0v. Interesting, I had to remove the battery cable on the starter solenoid to attach the meter. With the battery cable unattached the solenoid did not click when ignition in the crank position.

I want to make sure I am reading the wiring diagram correctly. Looking at the wiring diagram - starter solenoid purple wire goes to seat belt relay where it turns to light green/black wire. This wire goes to space #9 on the engine side bulkhead connector and continues changes to purple and lands on the neutral safety switch. Other side of safety switch the wire is purple/white and goes to the ignition swich connector.

I am wondering if the relay is bad?

Runningman to answer your question I am not sure if the red wire crimped to the orange wire goes to the relay,it appears it might but the there is no spade connector attached to it, though it looks like it had some kind of a connector on it before. The orange wire goes into the wiring harness at the blower relay and appear to attach to the relay on the blower box.

Help anyone
scott
Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by foooz
I am fairly certain the black wire attached at the 0300 position was not moved and is coming from the ignition switch.When I turn the ignition switch to crank there is 12v at this position

I checked voltage at the purple wire at the starter solenoid and it is 0v.
Someone made a mess.
Try connecting the black coming from the ign switch to the purple going to the solenoid and see if it cranks.

This should bypass the relay and if you want to put it back later you can.

You can't go by your diagram because the factory colors have been replaced.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

oh yea, that's right. it won't start unless the seatbelt is hooked up. That's where you should look. from previous posts by '75 owners, there is/was a relay with a button on it, on the firewall engine side, with a button that you could push to have the car start once,, a one time bypass. try hooking the seat belt up and cranking it. if no go, look at the neutral safety switch and seatbelt switch,, your problem is going to be there.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 PM
foooz
Instructor

I understand my wires have been changed I was trying to ensure I was reading the wiring diagram right.

More info - I removed the relay. The numbers on the top of the relay are 5227 970 50732. The stab are in a configuration of three in parallel and one perpendicular to the other three. Numbers beside each of the stabs starting with the perpendicular stab and working clockwise are 87, 86, 30, 85. As described above the 30 stab is nearest the firewall. I jumped between the 85 and 86, which I thought was the ignition to the starter solenoid and got nothing. I have latched the seatbelt to see if that was the problem.

I have spent a few hours on the internet trying to understand this relay better but can not figure out which stabs are normally open or closed, etc.

Any other thoughts? I am trying to prevent having to undo all the wiring harness and training.

scott
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's a standard Bosch relay. Is it possible it was put in to bypass the seat belt interlock? There should be a diagram on the side of the relay that show which terminals are for the pull in coil and which are for the load. I'm not in the garage to grab a relay to check the terminal connections.

You need to get a wiring diagram for your car and trace the wires to see where they go/should go.

Last edited by 1Fordman; 10-13-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring Help

Quick Reply: Wiring Help