Sponsored by:

Rear Body mount repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Vette Rookie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Body mount repair

It's still early in the disassembly phase of this rebuild, but I think I have a problem. Any suggestions on repair options?

This is the driver side rear body mount, or should I say what is left of it.
Name:  DSC03527.jpg
Views: 2466
Size:  136.6 KB

The Passenger side looks fine,
Name:  DSC03412.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  160.3 KB

Haven't pulled the access covers in the wheel wells to check them yet! Hit both with PB Blaster to soak for a while. Even though it looks like there probably isn't much holding the rusted one on.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 AM
c3_guy
Racer

That looks just like my car. Looks like you have a water leak, I would think the antenna is where I would look first. It doesnt make sense to replace the mount and not fix the leak.

You didn't say how extensive of a rebuild you are planning on doing but I would think that would be easy to fix with the body off.

I need to fix mine someday so I will be watching this thread.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Vette Rookie
Instructor

Originally Posted by c3_guy
That looks just like my car. Looks like you have a water leak, I would think the antenna is where I would look first. It doesnt make sense to replace the mount and not fix the leak.

You didn't say how extensive of a rebuild you are planning on doing but I would think that would be easy to fix with the body off.

I need to fix mine someday so I will be watching this thread.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I have started a body off rebuild
pics:
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...20Restoration/

It looks like my rear Astroventilation drain tubes may be the culprit here, as they were heavily deteriorated. I will recheck the antenna, but it is external to that area, and the panels between the two areas seem to be in good condition. I guess what I'm looking for is info on how to change out the nut & cage assembly that the body bolt engages.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If.... you cant get the bolt out, cut the head of the body mount bolt off,
If the nut cage retainer is still in tack, use a dremel to cut 1 side of the welded tabs,
bend the cage up and remove the frozen unt and bolt.
clean up everything, and put a new nut in place and bend the cage back down on it.
If the retainer(cage) is completely rusted and gone,
just use a regular nut and some locktite. 69VETT
Old 09-19-2009, 03:28 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If.... you cant get the bolt out, cut the head of the body mount bolt off,
If the nut cage retainer is still in tack, use a dremel to cut 1 side of the welded tabs,
bend the cage up and remove the frozen unt and bolt.
clean up everything, and put a new nut in place and bend the cage back down on it.
If the retainer(cage) is completely rusted and gone,
just use a regular nut and some locktite. 69VETT

in addition, if the glass is damaged, once you remove the hardware, use some duct tape underneath, lay some glass matt on top, after cured drill hole, mount new reinforcement and hardware.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hwcoop

in addition, if the glass is damaged, once you remove the hardware, use some duct tape underneath, lay some glass matt on top, after cured drill hole, mount new reinforcement and hardware.
Hey Howard,

Those rivets look backwards. Did you use backing washers on the glass side?

Name:  DSC04147.jpg
Views: 3452
Size:  41.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (02-02-2022)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 AM
vette6473
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's right...I have a 73 with exactly the same image but worse...could always be a t-top water leak, but it is most likely from a water leak from the usually non-functioning plenum drain tubes that connect to the back window galley area underneath and go out to the inside fenderwell. Mine had been worn out/clogged/torn for years and water from the back window grilles drained into the car (not my car then). It is a cheap and easy fix as far as the plenum drain tubes (don't re-rivet them to the fender, use small bolts...it's easier to connect and changeout years later). For the mounts, you will need to cut the bolt or bust it off by turning (be sure not to hurt the glass floor in the process...dig out all of the trashed metal everywhere (it will crumble off)...smooth off the alum rivets holding what's left of the body reinforcing mounts off...and see how much of the frame mount is left...I assure you, a big hole will be under where the rubber bushing was sitting. For this, you will need to buy a new frame mount (avail from Corvette Central) for both sides and the body reinforcing mounts and body mounts kit (all from same source). Having done one side, I then took it to a resto shop for the frame mount welding (bumpers and other bushings kept rear of car from falling down). Then I connected the body reinforcng mounts using small bolts versus alum rivets (easy to replace later/clean/paint/etc). The support body a bit in back without hurting fiberglass, remove rear bumper bolts and get enough clearance to jack up body a bit and put the new bushings in place.

Hope that helps...good luck!
The following users liked this post:
sobervette88 (12-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's what mine looked like before repair... Did not have to do any glass work... Also, used a combination of aluminum rivets and Hilok fasteners to re-secure... I did not put a fastener in the rear hole as you can see... I will fill this in when I shoot Lizard Skin in the interior...

Rogman

Name:  007-11.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  008-11.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  004-39.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  170.2 KB

Name:  041-1.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  208.7 KB
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
k9rock
Intermediate

Default Rear body bushing

in the process of changing rear body mounts and bushings. Cage nut and body mounts done. However, creating space for the bushing is another story. Is there any way to slide them in without loosing the #3 bolts?

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by k9rock
in the process of changing rear body mounts and bushings. Cage nut and body mounts done. However, creating space for the bushing is another story. Is there any way to slide them in without loosing the #3 bolts?

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
The back of the body will flex enough to put the bushings in.
If it's really closed up, you may need to lift it a little, let it sit, then again, then again slowly over a few days to prevent any cracks, until it it up enough to put the bushing in.
Mooser
Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
k9rock
Intermediate

Default Rear bushings

Thank you for the tip. I will keep trying. I am not sure if it makes a difference but this a 73'.

Thanks again, ds

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Body mount repair

Quick Reply: Rear Body mount repair