Sponsored by:

[rant] I need to find my way back

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default [rant] I need to find my way back

Long story not-too-short, my car hasn't been on the road since March of 2007.

I had a weeks vacation from work and the wife and kids out of town on Spring Break with all kinds of LS1/T56 goodies in my garage. I didn't make it far at all as I hurt my back (yeah, getting old) attempting to pull the old engine. I never really got over it and ruptured a disk in Sept that year. I avoided surgery and I've been good since about July 2008 and managed to get somewhat motivated towards the end of the year and pulled the engine and cut the crossmember. Other than that the car is just sitting up on jackstands.

The weather is getting cooler (only mid-90s now), so it's time to get it going again or just sell it as a project. I've come to this realization before, but maybe if I post it, it will come true (the get it going again part).

Well anyway, thanks for listening to my little rant.

ETA: Woohooo, apparently, this is my 10 year anniversary on the CF! That just has to add something to the motivation
Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

If I were you: Get a notepad, and just go around the car, engine first and make a short list of what it would take to get it operational again. Then see if your up to doing that level of work, keeping it reasonable. Otherwise I'd see if you could enlist some local Corvette Club members to see if they could, or would help you get it running again or find a shop to do some of the work and then sit back and see if you want to go any further or sell it?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 PM
76vette1
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Beater Shark,

I know the feeling. I can stand working on the car until the end of May. Then I stop until the weather breaks. This summer was especially brutal. This week has been nice. I may get started again this weekend. Hopefully the heat will stay away.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

One foot in front of the other. Just make yourself do 1 or 2 small things each day. You will be surprised the motivation will return once you get going.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 AM
glassman74
Racer

Originally Posted by BeaterShark
Long story not-too-short, my car hasn't been on the road since March of 2007.

I had a weeks vacation from work and the wife and kids out of town on Spring Break with all kinds of LS1/T56 goodies in my garage. I didn't make it far at all as I hurt my back (yeah, getting old) attempting to pull the old engine. I never really got over it and ruptured a disk in Sept that year. I avoided surgery and I've been good since about July 2008 and managed to get somewhat motivated towards the end of the year and pulled the engine and cut the crossmember. Other than that the car is just sitting up on jackstands.

The weather is getting cooler (only mid-90s now), so it's time to get it going again or just sell it as a project. I've come to this realization before, but maybe if I post it, it will come true (the get it going again part).

Well anyway, thanks for listening to my little rant.

ETA: Woohooo, apparently, this is my 10 year anniversary on the CF! That just has to add something to the motivation
Just hang in there. This Sat. I'll be 68. Car still has more to be done to it. One thing at a time. glassman74
Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have a similar problem. When we moved here 4 years ago I had a '66 Mustang that I had done a lot of work on-new floors, FI driveline from an '88 Cougar, etc. I was probably an hour or so from hearing it run but I just can't seem to find the motivation to get going again since we got here. One thing I can tell you is that if you sell as-is, you will almost certainly take a bath-especially in today's economy. I would try to at least get it running again before you give up. I think if you get it that far, you will want to finish it. My .02
Old 09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I'll be cleaning up the garage this weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to start a few other prep things to get this going.

The good news is that I've already done a ton of research and have 95% of the parts I need. I think I'm going to set a goal of 6-8 hours a week spent doing something productive. I just have to keep my eye on the prize and remember that sleep isn't that important

There is no doubt that if I finish this LS1 project, there is no way it's being sold (unless I lose my job). I just need to either do it or move on. All the money's been spent for years, so having it sit abandoned in my garage is far worse a bath than selling it.

Happy Birthday (tomorrow) glassman! I can only hope in 30 years, I'll still have the passion for this.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
halfmoontrail
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a couple weeks ago about my lack of motiviation/progress on my project, here's some of the hints that have worked for me:

1. NEVER use the car as a shelf.
2. Do at least 1 thing everyday, even if it is planning, or gathering supplies, fasteners...
3. Enlist a friend or family member to nag you about the project.
4. Invite a friend or family member to help work on the project, make a specific date/time.
5. (Perhaps the most helpful) Imagine DRIVING it!
6. And, yes, like one poster correctly told me...get your a$$ off the forum and out into the garage.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: If you can't get traction on the project, you may do better money-wise by trying to trade for something else you want or need, motorhome, boat, another more appealing project.

Get notified of new replies

To [rant] I need to find my way back

Quick Reply: [rant] I need to find my way back