Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody that went to Wyotech or UTI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anybody that went to Wyotech or UTI?

Ok, there's the Corvette-related part of this thread.

I figure I'll ask the biggest group of car guys I know about this one. I'm at the University of Akron right now in my second year studying Mechanical Engineering, and honestly I just feel like it's not for me. I really want to work on cars and do something that I love.

Has anybody here attended Wyotech, UTI, or a similar training school like that? I would love to go to a place like one of these, and they guarantee at least $34,000 with just the core program, and anywhere around $60,000 if you go with a manufacturers program.

So what does everyone have to say?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarcrazy02

Ok, there's the Corvette-related part of this thread.

I figure I'll ask the biggest group of car guys I know about this one. I'm at the University of Akron right now in my second year studying Mechanical Engineering, and honestly I just feel like it's not for me. I really want to work on cars and do something that I love.

Has anybody here attended Wyotech, UTI, or a similar training school like that? I would love to go to a place like one of these, and they guarantee at least $34,000 with just the core program, and anywhere around $60,000 if you go with a manufacturers program.

So what does everyone have to say?
How much do they focus on electric cars? (JK)
Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey,

Here what I know my son who is a Junior at Southern Illinois is in Automotive Technology. When he graduates next year he hopefully will work for one of the automotive manufactures. (BMW down to Chevy) He will be teaching the machanics at dealerships who to diagnos problems and work with engineering to make parts better. A pretty cool job. Last year there were 80 grads and all got a jobs ranging from 40,000 to 100,000. Toytoa, BMW, Benz, Honda and many others line up with schools that can produce top students. You need to get into a school like that. We looked at another school in Grand Rapids MI that also has a program like Southern. The problem the schools have is all the equipment needed is very expensive and many schools don't have the funding.

My son got a job last year working summers for a company called Eurosport. He is at there Joliet location which is Autobahn country club which is a high end race track for want to be drivers. He repairs Porche and Mazda Miata. He has worked on Porche GT cup cars and world challenge car. It has been a great experience for him and an excellent resume builder. My son used to be a big corvette guy but now corvettes a junk compared to what he working on. We battle that out all day long. (Haha)

My sons friends are at or graduated from UTI or Wyotech. Nothing wrong with these schools. Most seem to get employment with car dealers but one of the guys at Eurosport is from UTI he was number 1 graduate from his class.

My son loves car but I did tell him, working on a car is great, but when your 40 year old you don't want to be doing that everyday it gets old, you need to get yourself into managment so you can tell someone else to take that trans out and give them some guidence if needed.

This summer he was rebuilding a trans in GT cup car and realized he does not want to be wrenching for the man when he's older. He wants to be wrenching for fun and building a car for himself.

PM me if you have any other questions and we can talk more.

Good Luck

Last edited by spedaleden; 08-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
mod81
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have several friends that went through the same program and Dennis' son...they have all had great jobs. Look into it...ohio to illinois isn't that far. And as a grad from that school...you'll have a great time. I toured the auto facility as a freshman when I considered that route myself...then I realized I only want to work on my own car lol. The other good thing is that it's a 4 year degree from an accredited university...if anything you'll have a diploma to show people that you're a capable learner. A tech certificate is great...don't get me wrong, but a diploma takes the cap off of your earnings potential.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

I'd love to do it, I'm just worried about the ability to find a job aftwerwards.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
mod81
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to do it, I'm just worried about the ability to find a job aftwerwards.
In may 2007 I left SIU with a B.A. in Mass Communications(public relations). Everyone else I know with similar more generalized degrees, engineering students as well were sending out resume's by the 100's when those few buddies I had in auto tech were taking their pick of the several job offers they had to pick from while we all had panic attacks about our futures...2 years later, I'm still not where I want to be or thought I'd be and the economy is no excuse. Those guys are all making good cash and service dept's are booming...I work for an Automotive Marketing firm Called DMEautomotive now, we market for chrysler, ford gm, honda, toyota etc...they've all abondoned sales mktg because people are keeping cars longer in this climate and need more frequent service. Job security is probably pretty good base on what I see in this industry everyday. - hope that helps you coming from a recent grad.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Originally Posted by mod81
In may 2007 I left SIU with a B.A. in Mass Communications(public relations). Everyone else I know with similar more generalized degrees, engineering students as well were sending out resume's by the 100's when those few buddies I had in auto tech were taking their pick of the several job offers they had to pick from while we all had panic attacks about our futures...2 years later, I'm still not where I want to be or thought I'd be and the economy is no excuse. Those guys are all making good cash and service dept's are booming...I work for an Automotive Marketing firm Called DMEautomotive now, we market for chrysler, ford gm, honda, toyota etc...they've all abondoned sales mktg because people are keeping cars longer in this climate and need more frequent service. Job security is probably pretty good base on what I see in this industry everyday. - hope that helps you coming from a recent grad.
My dad is the shop manager at a body shop that BMW subcontracts work out to, and while the entire economy is in the toilet, they've had cars lined up out the doors for years and years with no end in sight. The fact that cars are always going to break paired up with the fact that people are keeping older cars longer seems to portray a decent looking future. I think I may have made my decision, but I'd love to hear more from other graduates or people that know graduates.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

The economy will always have good and bad times, but one thing to remember people buy homes, cars and health care and when homes and car sales fall apart everything else falls apart. Just like were seeing. Remember the higher end dealerships are not doing as good as they did but they are still doing ok or much better than us makes. I am emailing this thread to my son, He will chime in and tell his side.

Last edited by spedaleden; 08-25-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

I graduated from UTI, but I probably cant be of much help to you.
Its probably changed a bit since 1986.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:22 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

There are no gaurantees anywhere and the gentlemen who runs the program at Southern told me I can't guarantee your son a job but our past record shows that he should not have a problem when he graduates.. This was the worst summer for employment in god know how many years. By next year things will be better and by the time you would graguate thing will be even better. I will tell you call and look into it, it doesn't cost you anything.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 PM
greg75vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I do support you looking for something you would love, but how far along are you in you ME degree? I didn't find my way until I went through thermodynamics and fluids. That's when I knew I found my niche. Maybe you haven't come across your calling yet in ME?

Just because you do something else, doesn't mean you can't still toy with the cars on the side. I got my engineering degree and now work and a thermal performance engineer for thermal power plants (anything that uses heat as a driver, so everything but solar & wind). The industry has done very well through all of this because people, businesses need power.

I nearly took an opportunity to for Delphi Auto (in Rochester, NY the same company that designed our Q-jets and the early mechanical fuel injection units) as a test engineer in the dyno room, but passed so I could be at home. Boy am I glad I passed because the auto climate is pretty rough. Not that the power industry is rock proof, but tends to hold engineers longer than the auto industry.

Just some food for thought. If your heart is in working on cars and a desk job just doesn't appeal, then follow your heart. I just figured I would give some food-for-thought and there is light at the end of the engineering degree tunnel.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

The wife and I dropped our son off a few weeks ago. Here is where he is living

Walk in closet

Not the dorm rooms I remember. I told him I wanted to stay but no I had to go home to three women living with me. OMG
Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

i was looking at the UTI in mooresvill NC. i do know that this particular one is approved by the better business burea if that helps any
Old 08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
FutureOWNR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am SpedaleDens son. I am currently at SIU for Automotive Technology and the program is nothing but the best. It was the number one automotive program in the united states last year, and I think it still is the number one program. The teachers are some of the best too. Right now i am taking engine management and the teacher has been teaching since 1981. He has seen carburetors and fuel injection from the beginning. When you graduate from SIU you don't look for a job, careers look for you. On an average week i receive three emails from my adviser about job positions that are open for SIU students. Most of the emails are available for seniors only (that is why I haven't went for any of those jobs). When you graduate from SIU, your not a technician, (you can be if you want). When I graduate I want to work with side by side with engineers in the automotive field. Guys with Engineering degrees have one way of thinking and guys with Automotive degrees have another way of thinking and when you put them together good things happen. After being a tech for Eurosport Racing I have found many things on all sorts of cars (ESPECIALLY GM AND CORVETTE) that NEED to be changed, not only to make it more reliable, but easier for a technician to work with.

Aside from the school down here, there are tons of things to do. If your into the outdoors (and open twisty roads) you will really like it.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say finish your engineering degree then get the auto mech degree, that will make you very desirable...think about how nicer your resume will look with two degrees, one of them being an engineering degree.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody that went to Wyotech or UTI?

Quick Reply: Anybody that went to Wyotech or UTI?