C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 LS4 Vert-Restoration in progress for a very long time(LOL)....lots of pics....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default 74 LS4 Vert-Restoration in progress for a very long time(LOL)....lots of pics....

Well I decided to post my restoration efforts on the 74 that was purchased in Dec '08. I am including a link to photobucket which as of now has over 170 pics in that file, as I took and still taking pics of everything that I do. Will post some pics here, but you can check out photobucket anytime, as I am trying to reference every move that I make in this process.
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

Since the Vert is a 10,254 mile original, I gave it some serious thought about keeping it as a survivor, but as fellow Corvette enthusiast John T had pointed out to me "what is it you really want to do with this car?"
I figured that the reason for the purchase was to enjoy the driving of the Vette with the top down weather permitting, I thought why not do everything now, and be done with it for years to come.
So I started to dismantle and take pics along the way.
As of today, the engine, radiator, radiator support, spare tire carrier, fuel tank, and AC condenser are out of the vehicle. I have also removed most of the brackets on the engine, everything is tagged and ready to be cleaned and repainted or powder coated in the future.
This Vette was a Conn. State resident for all of those years, and even though it was keep in an almost totally enclosed garage for most of its existence, it did develop alot of surface rust on the frame and suspension pieces. Nothing major, but it is there, so I felt the need and urge to do it all, well mostly all.....
In previous threads I have received very good advice from different members on concerns that I have and still think about, and I thank you for that. Although I will remove the front and rear suspenion, and the trans is ready to come out, I am still up in the air about doing a frame-off. One day the body is coming off, the next day the body is staying on..... Must be the age...... Also still undecided on what to do with the 454....I know it has been suggested that now is the time to change the cam and get the heads done, but my concern is finding the right person to perform the head work, and since this going to be a weekend ride, and with the low mileage, it is really needed? I don't intend to track it or run in any competition events, but with a carb rebuild and a curve in the distributor, that may give me all of the performance that I will ever need. But then again at my age, my mind could change every 24 hours....
I am in no rush, and since the Vert is in a garage an hour away from me, I have no choice. Not being able to get out there every week and since my buddy has a different work schedule, I just take my time, since I am working alone. What ever I can accomplish when I am out there is always rewarding. I rather do less and get it right, than trying to do more and screw it up in the process.
So here are some pics...hope you enjoy........................Tom

The Vert loaded and ready to come to its new home...

The Strongman helps out....

LS4 getting ready to be pulled...

Interior shot...

Fuel Tank before removal...

Original Spare Tire

never hit the ground

factory markings.....

LS4 on the stand

another member suggested the wood, since the support is out....great idea

radiator support....I broke the bottom tabs during removal, they just fell apart

passenger side head...

passenger side valve cover, this is how I found it when unbolted....

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 08-08-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Tom,
I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. It's always interesting to see what people are working on.
Please keep the up-dates coming.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-09-2009, 02:57 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Tom,
I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. It's always interesting to see what people are working on.
Please keep the up-dates coming.
Regards,
Alan
thanks Alan, one day I hope to have my chassis look almost as good as your does. Even though I will probably change out the control arm bushings, they are hardly even worn, I had C3's before that the rubber just crumbled inside the sleeve. The front and rear suspension rubber where it was directly exposed to the elements is another story, especially the rear spring cushions, they were shot.....
glad you enjoyed the pics.................................. ......Tom
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Default latest update!!!

made some good progress on the Vert last 2 times out, some pics of what was accomplished......
the rear shocks, strut rods, and the 1/2 shafts unbolted and ready to drop, plus removed the rear bumper....

in the following pic the 1/2 shaft flange has a small piece of metal on the right side that looks like it was splintered, this is on both LS & RS.
What causes this???? And can they be corrected????

removed the T/A's, they came out with no problem, easiest set of T/A's I ever removed from a Vette. sprayed the bolt, let it sit, and that was it. I was a happy guy.....
Left side...

Right side...

all in all, a great day yesterday, everything worked out well.....
next week I will drop the rear, the trans, and maybe start on the front suspension.....that's it for now......later..................Tom
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 284 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

WOW Tom - you are kicking BUTT! Great progress my friend.

John
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
WOW Tom - you are kicking BUTT! Great progress my friend.

John
Thanks John, how is everything????
I am getting there, slow but sure.....it's fun when a plan comes together and you don't have the pressure to put it back together as soon as you take it apart....... I have so many parts sitting in my garage, they will be a good project this winter........Tom
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
1Sweet66
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have so many parts sitting in my garage, they will be a good project this winter........Tom[/QUOTE]

A great project for that long PA winter ahead of you. Looks like your off to a quick start. The car looks to be in pretty good shape and the interior looks really good.
Keep us posted on the progress. '74 454's are a special car!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 284 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
I have so many parts sitting in my garage, they will be a good project this winter........Tom
HAHAHAHHA - you have so many parts - you have seen my garage! At least you have a 2 car garage.

Things have been very busy here. Getting close to stripping the paint off my 69. If I can just get a free weekend.

John
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car.. keep us posted
Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the update!
I see things in bags and tagged. That's what it takes if you want to get the car back together.
The rear bumper is quite a sight.
Good luck as you work.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1Sweet66
I have so many parts sitting in my garage, they will be a good project this winter........Tom
A great project for that long PA winter ahead of you. Looks like your off to a quick start. The car looks to be in pretty good shape and the interior looks really good.
Keep us posted on the progress. '74 454's are a special car! [/QUOTE]

not quick enough, if only the Vette was closer to me....yes it is in good shape, interior is near perfect, some minor details to work out...
thanks for the I also feel the 74-454's are special

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
HAHAHAHHA - you have so many parts - you have seen my garage! At least you have a 2 car garage.

Things have been very busy here. Getting close to stripping the paint off my 69. If I can just get a free weekend. John
yes I have seen your garage....it's like a parts warehouse!!!
let me know when you start to strip the 69, I would like to come over and get some lessons for when I strip mine....

Originally Posted by rajsid
Nice car.. keep us posted
thanks ....will do!!!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the update!
I see things in bags and tagged. That's what it takes if you want to get the car back together.
The rear bumper is quite a sight.
Good luck as you work.
Regards,
Alan
always good to hear from you Alan, your chassis is the benchmark for my project...if I can get somewhat close to yours, I will be very happy.
Not only do I tag, but take, pics, pics, and more pics.........
I tried to keep the bumper as a whole, but no such luck.......
here is a pic of the inside of the rear bumper, I would imagine these were the dates the bumper was pulled and or assembled, as they match the build date of the car......................Tom
Old 10-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
...factory markings.....
Power Brakes. There's another teaser under the heat shield. What did you find?

Notice the factory black out doesn't quite get down this far.

Look for an abreviated job number on the RH toe kick and under the carpet passenger's side on the tranny tunnel.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Default more progress being made......

another good day with the Vette, did not accomplish exactly everything I wanted to do yesterday, but did get some things done, here are some pics with the results......

more items tagged and the trans cross-member removed, along with the rear sway bar...

the rear & crossmenber removed.....

the "mystery" spoon found inside the crossmember???? could this be from the ST. Louis plant after desert that day? I guess we will never know....

another factory marking????

and finally the driveshaft removed....

view from the rear with the trans supported on the trans jack ready to come out....

getting there, slow but sure........
also seriously thinking about a color change......although the Brown looks okay, since I am going to strip and repaint, I think one of the following colors will do just fine, Yellow, Orange or a deep Red......
decisions, decisions, decisions.........later.......Tom
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Hamese
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you are making great progress. My 79 is the same brown as yours. I've had mine since the mid 90's and will be investigating a paint job in the near future. I am torn between keeping it the same as I do like the color but not too many others do. My only other thought is a deep blue like midnight or the Electron Blue with the the newer ones.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the project.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

That clean valve cover is the reward for regular services. Great news. BB convertibles are just plain cool. Enjoy your car.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:52 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hamese
Looks like you are making great progress. My 79 is the same brown as yours. I've had mine since the mid 90's and will be investigating a paint job in the near future. I am torn between keeping it the same as I do like the color but not too many others do. My only other thought is a deep blue like midnight or the Electron Blue with the the newer ones.
Although the Brown has grown on me, I have decided to change the color when it comes time to paint....and it's from a Hot Wheel's Vette, just what I was looking for....will have to go to the auto paint store to see if they can match it......my thoughts on paint is that if you want to change the color, go for it, it's your Vette and you should do what makes you happy, and not worry about the original color, if your thinking about a change!!!

Originally Posted by ALVetteFan
Good luck with the project.
thank you....thank you....each time I go out to the Vette, I get more excited as I take things apart, knowing that some dayI will get it back together againstill a ways to go!!!

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
That clean valve cover is the reward for regular services. Great news. BB convertibles are just plain cool. Enjoy your car.
thanks.....I have to say that the previous owner did maintain the car, having all of the receipts on work that was done, you can see that he wanted the car to be "right".....yes BB Verts are cool as is any Vettealways wanted a BB and very happyto have one.....now when I can drive it again, will be even happier.....

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 01-06-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 LS4 Vert-Restoration in progress for a very long time(LOL)....lots of pics....

Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tom, nice start to a future great build. For a car with such low mileage
there seams to be quite a bit of surface rust, where did this car spend most
of its life. You have a great car there with the hard top, this is what I would
love to have. What is your vision for your build, are you staying mostly stock
or are you going for a more modern build with lots of horse power and a
beefed up chassis? Any custom ideals? Either why you will have a great car to
enjoy for many years to come.

Riggs.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow That car is in wonderful original condition. To bad you didn't have it judged for the heck of it before the teardown. Looked to be a good survivor candidate. Keep those progress pics coming
Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by riggs 74
Hey Tom, nice start to a future great build. For a car with such low mileage
there seams to be quite a bit of surface rust, where did this car spend most
of its life. You have a great car there with the hard top, this is what I would
love to have. What is your vision for your build, are you staying mostly stock
or are you going for a more modern build with lots of horse power and a
beefed up chassis? Any custom ideals? Either why you will have a great car to
enjoy for many years to come.

Riggs.
Riggs, this Vert came from CT where it resided for 34 years....to my understanding, it was parked in a 3-sided type garage with no door and a floor that would hold moisture, I don't think it was a cement floor, but just hardened dirt with some gravel....so in those tough winters I could see where the surface rust would be more so than on other cars. It's weird, inside the "pockets" where the T/A's attach, it is clean as anything. And there is no "real" rot anywhere on the frame, it's as solid as it could be....
I am going to redo the frame either with the body on or off, probably will pull the body....I was going to stay mostly stock, but have changed my mind since, in that I want to enjoy the Vert to the best of my liking, like you stated "for many years to come"
My plans do far:
1-redo the suspension w/VBP GTP suspension, which I already have, after discussing what would be the best rear spring rate to go with my setup, they made me a 340-lb rear spring. I am a little apprehensive on using the 460-lb coils for the front, but everyone I have spoken to so far has said that they ride great.....
2-redo the T/A's, although I have no knowledge or the correct tools to perform the rebuild, I will probably send them out for the rebuild.
3-redo the front control arms
4-thinking about other components to get done, and I know it may be an overkill, with the low mileage of the car, but my overall thoughts are to do as much as I can so that this is the only time I will have to do a major rebuild and not have to do it in the future.
5-I was going to leave the engine totally stock, except for getting a performance rebuild on the Quadrajet, but changed my mind as well on that. My plans for the engine are a different cam, (nothing wild) and stock redone heads, with some mild work done, (which I already purchased). May get the pistons balanced as suggested by another member, since I am going this far into the rebuild. Have a new Dewitts radiator to go in, and am thinking about replacing the stock fan with the dual Spals...and maybe go with an HEI. and that should do it...
6-and yes change the color when it comes time as stated in a previous post.
And thanks for the compliment on a great car, I feel the same way

Originally Posted by dennis
Wow That car is in wonderful original condition. To bad you didn't have it judged for the heck of it before the teardown. Looked to be a good survivor candidate. Keep those progress pics coming
Thanks Dennis, I know what you mean, but having the car judged is not for me, it probably was a good survivor like you mentioned, but I did take lots of pics, before the tear down, so that it may help someone out in the future......pics will always be updated as I make progress....thanks again...........