Sponsored by:

Why is the battery on the left?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Big Don
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why is the battery on the left?

Seems to make more sense to put the battery on the passenger side to better balance weight and be a little closer to the starter. GM must have had some reason.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You're talking GM here...some things don't have to make sense. I don't know the answer but there had to be some cost/manufacturing reason for it. Try jump starting a manual shift C3 where you have to have the clutch fully engaged before it will start.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:55 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

plus if you have a kill switch or need to pull a post right quick...passenger side makes alot more sense
Old 07-11-2009, 05:19 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why? Not 100% sure; but I'll take a stab at it...

- so you can reach into the empty compartments while sitting in the drivers seat.

- so the cables can be routed through the existing holes.

- so you can maintain a better weight distribution with a passenger who weighs more than the driver.

So; do you feel the need to relocate or move it, or is this a rhetorical question?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:48 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

To make it more difficult to get to- it's a C3
Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
wytevette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Don
Seems to make more sense to put the battery on the passenger side to better balance weight and be a little closer to the starter. GM must have had some reason.
I don't know, but it was absolutely stupid to put it inside the passenger compartment. My wife was using our '73 as a daily driver (about 10 years ago) and the alternator was overcharging and cooked the battery.

The battery exploded. WHAT A MESS!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:54 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There isn't much advantage to having the battery on the right side in regards to being closer to the starter. You would probably save less than a foot of battery cable. One reason I can think of is that the jack is located in the right side compartment. If you get a flat and pull off to the side of the road you can open the right hand door and get the jack out easily. If it was in the left compartment, you would have to open that long door into traffic to get the jack out.

The best location probably would have been in the middle, but I don't remember exactly why that compartment is shallower. Probably the driveshaft or differential.

Rick B.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyman

- so you can reach into the empty compartments while sitting in the drivers seat.
Might not be the reason but this one makes sense.

I wonder if the placement has anything to do with the possibility of explosion or acid spray in an accident.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

it is probably there for weight distribution. All the A/C equipment is in the front right, so the rear left would offset it....has anyone put there car on a 4 pad scale?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:27 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

My BMW 525i had the battery under the the right rear seat. You had to remove the rear bench in order to get to it. Now THAT was inconvenient.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The majority of road course turns are left.Just dumb old hillbilly circle track physics.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
One reason I can think of is that the jack is located in the right side compartment. If you get a flat and pull off to the side of the road you can open the right hand door and get the jack out easily. If it was in the left compartment, you would have to open that long door into traffic to get the jack out.
That's the best explanation I've heard so far.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Vette80regon
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
That's the best explanation I've heard so far.
x2
Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Perhaps it is to compensate somewhat for the weight of the engine ( The engine being offset to the right/passenger side relative to the center of the frame).
Old 07-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The engine was offset to right for weight balance. Moving battery back can help ft./rear weight dist. & no trunk to put battery. The oil dipstick & battery were both on left which would allow fast service by driver. Jack on right as mentioned would be "safer" when pulled over to change a tire. Battery on left allows lifting out/in w/ right hand.

Anyway we may never know why left instead of right for battery. I thought about relocating battery to right side when I bought mine.

Last edited by Ganey; 07-12-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
The majority of road course turns are left.Just dumb old hillbilly circle track physics.
As far as I know and I have raced on at least 40 tracks in N.A. most are run clockwise and have more right hands than left hand corners but I'm sure there are acceptions.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Alex/plus
Racer

If your car is sitting on the right side of the road because of a flat tire the jack is on the passenger side to keep the door and yourself away from passing traffic.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the battery on the left?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The battery being in the 'cockpit' facilitated weight distribution (frt/rear), kept the battery better protected from weather, and made it more difficult to steal! (Yes, that was a problem back in that era.)
Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Red 71
Pro

Location: Melbourne, Fla. 6 months- New Middletown, Ohio 6 months

If you get a flat and pull off to the side of the road you can open the right hand door and get the jack out easily. If it was in the left compartment, you would have to open that long door into traffic to get the jack out.

Rick B.
Sounds good if you can always arrange to have your flat tires on the right side. As you are jacking up the left side your butt is sticking out into traffic so you can get nailed after all!!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:34 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There isn't much advantage to having the battery on the right side in regards to being closer to the starter. You would probably save less than a foot of battery cable. One reason I can think of is that the jack is located in the right side compartment. If you get a flat and pull off to the side of the road you can open the right hand door and get the jack out easily. If it was in the left compartment, you would have to open that long door into traffic to get the jack out.

The best location probably would have been in the middle, but I don't remember exactly why that compartment is shallower. Probably the driveshaft or differential.

Rick B.
This makes the most sense to me. There's plenty of "safety" features in the owners manual. Though it's not mentioned there, GM may have been thinking this was safer.

Quick Reply: Why is the battery on the left?