C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage of 73 corvette on two post lift.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
kayosnes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage of 73 corvette on two post lift.

Does someone storage theyr vette on a two post lift. I am wondering if i will be ok with doing this. Or if it could result in any problems if storaged over long periods over time.

Dont tell me to buy a four post, as the two post already are installed in the garage :-)
Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have had mine hangine for a few months on occasion with no problems. A 4 poster is better for real long term but for a few months and if space does not allow it should be fine. Mine was a space issue plus I do a ton of work on mine and others, the 2 poster is much better for that.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

My 72 LT-1 has been awaiting the finish of my 70 LT-1 roadster project for 2 years on my 2 post lift, now it's time to get back to the "race car" since the "wife's car" is done. No problem with 2 post storage as long as no major Earthquake hits in California where I live
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM
kayosnes
Racer

Thanks for the reply,s guys.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll certainly find out if you have any rusty/weak areas on the frame...other than that, I don't see a problem.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

bad for the suspension to hang unloaded.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
kayosnes
Racer

Originally Posted by wer2xu
What will happen to the suspension? I have ugraded the suspension with new composite spring and Bilsteins.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by wer2xu
Old 06-04-2009, 10:09 PM
vett us all
Racer

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Not . C3s are front heavy. If you watch closely as you raise the car you can see the front end sag. New body mount bushings helps some but I would not let my 73 hang for very long. Your door to fender reveals will change for sure.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vett us all
Not . C3s are front heavy. If you watch closely as you raise the car you can see the front end sag. New body mount bushings helps some but I would not let my 73 hang for very long. Your door to fender reveals will change for sure.

If anything it would prolong the life of the suspension because the springs would be unloaded.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The springs, shocks and frame probably don't care, but if you have the rubber control arm bushings and trailing bushings, then I am sure they don't like it much. The rubber, being in a twisted torsion for long periods probably would at least shorten it's life.

I have a 2 post and don't leave them up unless necessary.
If using poly bushings that swivel, I can't see it wouldn't matter.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueray72
If anything it would prolong the life of the suspension because the springs would be unloaded.

Again, not true. The control arm bushings are installed at ride height and torqued down. When the suspension is unloaded they twist. You think it'll be ok for rubber to be under a torsional load for months at a time? What do you suppose will happen when they unload by putting weight back on them? .....let me help you out. They'll tear. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt to prove it.

Sorry noonie, you beat me to it!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
kayosnes
Racer

Originally Posted by noonie
The springs, shocks and frame probably don't care, but if you have the rubber control arm bushings and trailing bushings, then I am sure they don't like it much. The rubber, being in a twisted torsion for long periods probably would at least shorten it's life.

I have a 2 post and don't leave them up unless necessary.
If using poly bushings that swivel, I can't see it wouldn't matter.

I have changed all to poly. I have the Performance Plus Suspension Kit. And i have new trailing arms with poly.

Am i correct when asuming that i should be ok then.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Shouldn't hurt anything, but I would put the front arms as close to the front control arms as possible to minimize any frame flex.

My arms are long enough to reach up to the PSteering cylinder mount and still balance the car well.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM
kayosnes
Racer

Originally Posted by noonie
Shouldn't hurt anything, but I would put the front arms as close to the front control arms as possible to minimize any frame flex.

My arms are long enough to reach up to the PSteering cylinder mount and still balance the car well.
I have them as long forward and backward as posible. I actualy cant see any flex in the frame. And i have seen that when i have used a normal garage jack.
I also have tryed to open and close the doors with the car in the air. And no difference there.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by vett us all
Yes it is

My '69 was on stands under the frame with the suspension unloaded for 14 years. When I finally decided to put it back on the road, I just set it back down and everything was just fine. I never touched the suspension. Been driving it now for 3 years without a problem.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 AM
silver 76
Instructor

My front arms reach to get under the lower a frames. I leave it up for months in winter o k so far but my head takes a beating.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by earthquake68
Again, not true. The control arm bushings are installed at ride height and torqued down. When the suspension is unloaded they twist. You think it'll be ok for rubber to be under a torsional load for months at a time? What do you suppose will happen when they unload by putting weight back on them? .....let me help you out. They'll tear. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt to prove it.

Sorry noonie, you beat me to it!
UH mine are made from Delrin plastic so I think they are fine. and really the only weight on them are the brakes and wheels so NO I don't think the bushings would be distressed if the car was off the ground for long periods of time while in storage. GM did a pretty good job of engineering our cars they not only have comperssion bump stops but ALSO extension bump stops to prevent the degredation you are talking about. I have friends with large car collections and ALL of them store their cars with the tires and suspension unloaded while in long term storage.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
kayosnes
Racer

Originally Posted by silver 76
My front arms reach to get under the lower a frames. I leave it up for months in winter o k so far but my head takes a beating.
Luckelyu i am only 172cm high. Some times that can be an advantage

Get notified of new replies

To Storage of 73 corvette on two post lift.

Quick Reply: Storage of 73 corvette on two post lift.