Sponsored by:

I think I fixed my starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I fixed my starting problem

About a month ago the vette wouldn't start. The radio and lights came on but the starter wouldn't even click. After about 20 minutes it finally started as if nothing happened.

I checked the wires going to the starter and they seemed fine. I even took them off and reseated them. Everything was fine until today. Same problem. But this time I checked the wires at the battery.

The ground wire was loose. Again, the radio and everything else but the starter worked fine.

I guess the lesson is to ALWAYS CHECK THE OBVIOUS.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 PM
VeroL81
Instructor

"Check the obvious" is very good advice.

I go one step further: "Check the cheapest/easiest alternative first!"

Alan K.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:14 PM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

KISS = keep it simple stupid! (no offense to any who read..)
this was literally the first rule of mechanics i was ever taught. i didnt learn it until much later, but that wasnt the teachers fault.. i still have trouble with it!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
VictoriaVette
Pro

I have had the same problem with my 77 the battery was a little low from not driving it so I used a jump box to start. Took it for a 45 min ride showed it was charging got to the gas station filled her up and when I got in it would do nothing just like you said. The horn, radio, lights etc would work but nothing when I turned the key. I took the battery out and Advanced Auto told me it was bad just bought it last year. They adjusted the cost and sold me another one. Installed it and it started right up. a few days later went for another ride it started up right away but when I stopped after maybe 20 min went into the store for about 5 min. came out and the same thing again. Checked all my wires to battery and starter after about 15 min is started up. Nothing like have a Great looking Vette that everyone stops and looks at and comments on to not start.

Get notified of new replies

To I think I fixed my starting problem

Quick Reply: I think I fixed my starting problem